[e-drive][CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS:COC ENSEMBLE STUDIO AUDTIONS, NATIONAL]
kaethe at caea.com
Fri Jul 18 14:39:04 EDT 2003
COC Ensemble Studio Auditions
for Opera Singers, Opera Coaches, and Stage Directors
APPLICATION DEADLINE: FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 26, 2003
THE COC ENSEMBLE STUDIO
The Canadian Opera Company Ensemble Studio is an operatic training program for opera singers, opera coaches and stage directors. Up to ten artists participate in the program at any one time.
Many of Canada's finest young opera singers, coaches and directors have participated in the program. Past members include Theodore Baerg, Isabel Bayrakdarian, Benoit Boutet, Tom Diamond, Sally Dibblee, John Fanning, Ben Heppner, Gaétan Laperrière, Wendy Nielsen, Frédérique Vézina and James Westman.
The Ensemble Studio program auditions new artists each season. The program can be one to three years in length, depending on the artist. Most applicants are between the ages of 24 and 34 and have recently finished their academic training.
This is a professional training program that is tailored to the artist. Remuneration is based on the performer's entry level into the program.
Singers will receive daily vocal coaching with the COC's resident music staff, as well as diction and acting classes. Masterclasses and individual sessions are held regularly with such international specialists as Martin Isepp, Marlena Malas, Jean Mallandaine, and Margaret Singer. Singers will also participate in seminars ranging in topics from audition techniques to choosing an agent. The program is very performance-oriented and there are numerous performance and understudy opportunities throughout the season.
Applicants must have solid vocal training in opera, an extensive musical background and give evidence of artistic aptitude.
Opera Coaches, under the guidance of the COC's coaching staff, work with the Ensemble Studio singers in regular coachings and take part in masterclasses, sessions with international guest coaches and special concerts. Opera Coaches may also act as rehearsal pianists/coaches for mainstage productions.
Applicants must have strong knowledge of various operatic styles and languages, and have operatic coaching experience. Coach applicants will be required to play one solo piano piece that demonstrates technique, to prepare an aria in French, German or Italian, to be played and sung with dramatic understanding, and to play, while singing the vocal lines as much as possible and following a conductor, the applicant's choice of one of the following:
Così fan tutte - Act I Finale
La Bohème - Act I
Carmen - Acts I and IV
Sight reading may also be required.
The Ensemble Studio occasionally accepts Conductors of exceptional ability. For more information please contact the Music Administrator.
Stage Directors participate in mainstage productions and work closely with COC production staff. In addition, the Stage Directors work with the Ensemble Studio singers in dramatic coachings.
Applicants for this position should have some knowledge of opera and stage directing or assistant stage directing experience. Formal training at a university, college or drama school is an asset. Ability to read music and proficiency in several operatic languages is required.
Stage directors should submit a one-page letter outlining their goals with the COC.
Auditions for Vocal Positions
Toronto Tuesday, October 28, 2003
Wednesday, October 29, 2003
Thursday, October 30, 2003
Vancouver Saturday, November 8, 2003
Montreal Monday, November 10, 2003
Winnipeg TBA *
Calgary TBA *
Final Vocal Auditions,
Opera Coach Auditions,
Interviews for Stage Directors:
Toronto Friday, December 5, 2003
Saturday, December 6, 2003
Friday, September 26, 2003
* if sufficient applications are received
(Applicable to all categories)
1. The accompanying application form must be completed and signed by the applicant. Incomplete applications will not be processed.
2. Applicants must be Canadian Citizens or have Landed Immigrant status at the time of application. Proof of citizenship (e.g. photocopy of birth certificate or other legal documentation) must accompany application.
3. A resume and photograph must accompany each application. The resume should include the following information: academic background, recent operatic experience (year, role and company), operatic repertoire studied (excerpts or complete work), dramatic and theatrical experience, awards and scholarships, and languages sung and/or spoken.
4. Applicants must submit three (3) sealed letters of recommendation from qualified references (coaches, voice teachers, conductors, directors, professors, etc.). We prefer to receive letters of recommendation with applications. If this is not possible, please ensure that we receive the letters
at least one week prior to the audition date.
5. The Canadian Opera Company will screen all applications, and applicants will be informed by telephone if they have been granted an audition/interview. For those singers who audition, the COC will provide an accompanist at no charge to the applicant. The applicant may choose to provide another accompanist at his/her own expense.
Please consider my application for:
q Ensemble Studio Singer
q Stage Director
Audition City: Vancouver q
City Postal Code
Tel: Day Evening
Date of Birth/Place of Birth
Please send all applications to:
Ensemble Studio Auditions Co-ordinator
Canadian Opera Company
227 Front Street East
Toronto, Ontario M5A 1E8
Email: ensemble at coc.ca
Successful applicants will be notified by telephone of audition/interview location and time. All materials submitted become the property of the Canadian Opera Company and will not be returned.
For the audition, the singer must prepare five arias of contrasting style, to be performed in the original languages, representative of the individual's present technical development and level of ability.
THE COC ENSEMBLE STUDIO IS GENEROUSLY SUPPORTED BY:
The John A. Cook Young Artist Development Fund
The Edper Foundation
Harris Steel Group
The Henry N.R. Jackman Foundation
The McColl-Early Foundation
RBC Financial Group through RBC Foundation
Ruby Mercer Fund
The George Cedric Metcalfe Charitable Foundation
Roger D. Moore Ensemble Studio Endowment Fund
AN ANONYMOUS DONOR
Please direct all responses and inquiries directly to the theatre or association listed in the e-drive notice.
More information about the caea-l