[e-drive][CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS: NATIONAL]

Patricia Joyce patricia at caea.com
Thu Jan 17 12:56:03 EST 2002

~~~~~~~~~~ e-drive ~~~~~~~~~~

CROSSCURRENTS
A New Play Festival of Cultural Ideas

Call for Submissions

Factory Theatre is initiating a new play festival devoted to showcasing and
developing work by writers of colour whose themes involve the intersections
of different cultures. We are particularly looking for writers from diverse
communities whose work examines and questions old ideas of culture in the
light of the dynamic changes going on around us today; and for stories in
which cultures clash, cross, or come together.

CrossCurrents is open to playwrights from across the country. The focus of
this festival is to promote and highlight the diversity of talent that we
know exists in communities across Canada and we strongly encourage
interested writers to submit their work. We are looking for full-length
plays in all stages of development, although shorter plays will also be
considered. Additionally, we encourage writers now working in other forms
(prose, poetry, film...) who are interested in exploring the challenge of
playwriting to submit plays or works-in-progress.

CrossCurrents play readings will be held at Factory's Studio Theatre April 1
- 13, 2002.  Each selected play will receive a two-day workshop and a public
reading. Out of town playwrights will receive travel expenses and per diem,
and must be available to attend the festival to be eligible. Writers are
invited to submit their script, with a cover letter outlining its
developmental history, by January 31, 2002, to:

  Michael Miller, CrossCurrents Co-ordinator
  Factory Theatre
  125 Bathurst Street
  Toronto, ON, M5V 2R2

For over three decades, Factory Theatre has been at the forefront of the
national theatre scene, building a Canadian theatre predicated on Canadian
playwriting. Factory is proud of the diversity of our programming, which has
included such notable hits as Andrew Moodie's Riot, Ian Ross' FareWel and
Africa Solo, the first play by Factory's current playwright in residence,
Djanet Sears.  CrossCurrents is part of a three-year initiative to continue
to broaden the demographics of our audience base through the development of
playwrights from new and diverse communities.

For further information about Factory Theatre: www.factorytheatre.ca. Please
address all questions concerning the festival to Michael Miller at
crosscurrents at factorytheatre.ca.

No plays will be returned without a self-addressed, stamped envelope.  Each
writer will be notified about his or her involvement in the festival by
March 15, 2002.