[e-drive][MEETING: VANCOUVER]

Patricia Joyce patricia at caea.com
Mon Jan 21 12:50:12 EST 2002

~~~~~~~~~~ e-drive ~~~~~~~~~~

Greater Vancouver Professional Theatre Alliance
Urgent Notice: Interim GVPTA Venue Committee INFORMATION MEETING

Vancouver Little Theatre and The Cavern Closed!
In the last month, 2 small venues have been confirmed as closed.
 Whether they both remain permanently closed is probable.
Events and shows have been post-poned while the producers search
for a new place?Bad news.

The Cavern just off Commercial. Home to many recent
cabaret-events by Pollywog Theatre and RPS, and home to Jessie
nominated shows such as I Hate You On Mondays, and home for its
first few years as a Fringe Venue to many alternative and
interesting shows?closed after just over 4 years.

The Vancouver Little Theatre at 15th and Main  Almost every
established performing artist has been a performer on this 20
year old intimate space.  In its first decade it was home to
award wining shows by Pink Ink Theatre, and numerous amateur,
and professional shows have been on this stage over the years.
Operated by the Vancouver Little Theatre Alliance, an
organization dating back to the 1920s, it has been an
incorporated society since 1985.  Recently under the management
of Alistair Cook, in association with Instant Theatre, it served
emerging artists and those wishing to experiment in a
financially affordable venue.

Both these venues had their drawbacks, but they were affordable,
and they were available.  These 80 person houses served a
purpose in the theatre ecology of Vancouver. They are an
important part of the scene.  But we can?t just miss them.
There is a need for such a venue. What do we do now?

Join an information session to find out the past and future
status of these venues, and plan for the immediate future.
Bring your ideas, and your information. There is talk in the
community of other spaces that may open or may not.  Let?s get
the ideas out on the table,  (plus have a free donut.)

Friday January 25th 3:30pm ,
GVPTA Office, 1405 Anderson Street, Granville Island

Further Information: Call Donnard MacKenzie, at
604-608-7422?leave voice mail and your call will be returned.
Thanks.