[e-drive][CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS: BRITISH COLUMBIA]

Kaethe Yanovsky kaethe at caea.com
Thu May 30 10:07:24 EDT 2002

~~~~~~~~~~e-drive~~~~~~~~

$$$ MONEY FOR THEATRE!  APPLICATIONS ARE STILL BEING ACCEPTED?

GORDON ARMSTRONG PLAYWRIGHTS RENT AWARD, 2002

Shortly before our production of his play Blue Dragons 6 years ago;
playwright Gordon Armstrong died of AIDS related illness.  Just 35, he
already had an impressive body of work, with the promise of more.   Origins
Theatre Projects has presented this cash award ever since.

The metaphor of rent remains constant, whether you are fighting a tragic
disease, or merely fighting the good fight for funding support. Born from
artists helping artists, it is an open application based upon merit and
need, juried by our board.   Thank you to all the applicants for your
heartfelt expressions of your art.

To quote last year's recipient letter from Cathy Stubington, a puppet
theatre artist: 'The puppets, like the stories, ask to be created.  They are
powerful and vulnerable?crossing impossible bridges, to speak great truths.?
 She's used her money towards development of a 'crackpot tale'about seeds
and genetic modification.

This year the award is 275. 00.
We invite  B.C. based  theatreartists with some professional experience who
are developing new work to apply for the award,) as follows:
Send a letter that demonstrates your writing.
Talk about your art and yourself as an artist.
Make it a personal letter, not a formal grant application letter.
Maximum 400-450 words.
Attach a C.V.

Send to:
 Gordon Armstrong Playwright's Rent Award
C/o Origins Theatre Projects Society
#213-1857 West 4th Avenue
Vancouver, B.C.
V6J-1M4

DEADLINE: Letters must be received by June 11th 2002.
Posted letters are preferred, but if necessary, we will accept faxed or
email submissions. Call first.
The recipient will be announced at the Jessies.
Past recipients are eligible.
The jury may choose not to award if there are not sufficient applications.

If more info is needed, phone: John Burns, voicemail, 604-608-7422