[e-drive][AWARD: VOTING FOR VANCITY AWARD, VANCOUVER]

Kaethe Yanovsky kaethe at caea.com
Wed Sep 11 10:51:03 EDT 2002

~~~~~~~~~~~~e-drive~~~~~~~~~~

Equity members who are also VanCity Credit Union members  have the
opportunity to support the Vancouver East Cultural Centre's bid to win
the $1 million VanCity Award by casting their vote.

Vancouver East Cultural Centre Finalist for  $1 million VanCity Award

VanCity Credit Union announced the three finalists for the two-year-old
VanCity Award, a $1-million award to be given to a BC-based non-profit
organization, August 7, 2002. The Vancouver East Cultural Centre, The
Co-operative Auto Network and the Mennonite Central Committee-BC will
vie for the $1 million award.

In September and October, VanCity members will choose the recipient of
the second annual VanCity Award by voting for the project of their
choice. Voting will take place by mail, over the internet or telephone
and in VanCity's 39 community branches. The award will be presented in
November 2002.

Vancouver - Voting started on September 3 for VanCity Credit Union
members who will choose the 2002 recipient of the The VanCity Award.
Until October 15, members of all 39 VanCity branches in the Lower
Mainland, Fraser Valley and Victoria - will be encouraged to vote for
one of the finalists at a VanCity branch, online at www.vancity.com, by
phone or by mail. Members will receive ballots in their monthly
statements in September.

FIND OUT MORE: Attend the VECC Open Houses September 8, 22 and October 5
between 1 & 3 PM. Take a tour of the Cultch, meet our staff, have a
snack and hear about our revitalization plans!

Since 1973, the VECC has been a jewel in Vancouver's arts scene, hosting
over 7,500 performances and welcoming 1.5 million visitors. However, 30
years of enthusiastic community use has taken its toll. Major
renovations are required; not only to upgrade the current facilities,
but also to develop and expand our amenities to accommodate the changing
needs of our audience, our partners and the arts community who have all
voiced an urgent need for improved audience facilities and affordable,
accessible rehearsal, office and studio performance space.

To accommodate the growing needs of the community we will upgrade the
existing structure, while retaining our auditorium's intimate charm and
character. The facility will be expanded to include: expanded and more
accessible public areas; a new state-of-the art studio theatre; new
exhibition space; new rehearsal and office facilities for resident
companies; new workshops; expanded backstage facilities; a structurally
upgraded main stage theatre.

Our vision includes developing a working structure in which the VECC and
our cultural partners can achieve mutual economic support through shared
initiatives, economies of scale and joint resource management under one
new roof. The result will be the VECC's continued excellence in
programming, with greater comfort and increased access for artists and
audiences.

For more information on the VanCity Award, please visit www.vancity.com