[e-drive][CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS]

Kaethe Yanovsky kaethe at caea.com
Thu Sep 12 09:32:05 EDT 2002

~~~~~~~~~~~~e-drive~~~~~~~~~~~~~

THE 2002 SECOND CITY SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM!
A New Name and A New Focus for 2002

Previously known as the Second City Cross Cultural Scholarship Program,
the scholarship is an ongoing project of The Second City and the Toronto
Theatre Alliance. The former program provided five to seven scholarships
to students of diverse backgrounds to study for a year at the Second
City Training Centre.The new program will provide eight scholarships
annually, while creating a dialogue with different cultural
communitiies.

Twice a year, actors from a specific cultural community will be invited
to attend a week-long workshop at The Second City , for a nominal fee.
The workshop will include the study of improvisation, an introduction to
The Second City's collaborative approach for creating a revue show, and
opportunities to meet directors, producers and former scholarship
recipients. Scholarship recipients will be selected from those attending
the workshops.

"We're excited about expanding the Program",  says Second City Training
Centre Artistic Director Moira Dunphy. " The Training Centre programs
help teens and adults reveal and nurture their unique creative voices. I
believe that artists of diverse backgrounds and Second City will
mutually benefit from the Second City Scholarship Program."

Rose Jacobson, Cross Cultural Director of the Toronto Theatre Alliance,
is also pleased with the new focus."By reaching in and reaching out to
specific cultural communities and communities of interest, we have a
better chance to promote the program effectively and connect with
performers we may never meet otherwise. Each one-week workshop will
allow artists to experiece Second City's philosophy and approach to
improv training. Four scholarship recipients will then move into the
full training program. I believe this approach is both more personal and
more community-minded than before."

The Scholarship Program was implemented in 1996 and so far 41 people
have received the scholarship. Recipients include: Darryl Dennis, Herbie
Barnes, Satori Shakoor, Mark Andrada, Tricia Williams, and Sam Khalalia.

The inaugural SECOND CITY SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM Workshop seeks submissions
from members of the GAY AND LESBIAN COMMUNITIES to participate in a
workshop to be held at The Second City from September 3rd - October 4th,
2002. Participants will be selected on a first-come basis. There will be
a $50 workshop fee for 20 hours of training.

THE SUBMISSIONS DEADLINE IS SEPTEMBER 16TH. APPLICANTS SHOULD MAIL OR
DROP OFF A PICTURE, RESUME AND COVER LETTER BY SEPTEMBER 16TH TO:

ROSE JACOBSON, TORONTO THEATRE ALLIANCE
720 BATHURST STREET, SUITE 403, TORONTO M5S 2R4
No faxes please. For more info, contact
Rose Jacobson at Toronto Theatre Alliance, 416 536-6468 x 24