[e-drive][EQUIFLASH: LETTER FROM THE PRESIDENT]

Kevin Patrick Robbins kprobbins at caea.com
Tue Jun 3 17:23:05 EDT 2003

 EQUIFLASH: LETTER FROM THE PRESIDENT

NEXUS - association, connection, linkage

An appeal to all Councillors, Advisors, and members:

Every three years, the Association holds elections for Council, the
regional Advisories, and since 2001, the Directors and Choreographers,
and Stage Management Committees. The last election resulted in the
greatest turn-over of Councillors in recent memory. This election may
result in the same. That by itself is not necessarily a bad thing. It
may simply indicate the interest and commitment of other members to the
work of the Association.

This year, after nine years on Council, the last three as President, I
have decided not to seek re-election. I have always tried to act in the
best interests of the membership, and when I leave Council in December
it will be with the knowledge (although perhaps not the perfect
satisfaction) that my efforts have contributed positively to the terms
and conditions under which we all pursue a creative life. But to
concurrently see an election looming in which there are not enough
candidates to ensure the fair and democratic representation which is the
foundation of all things Equity, is to me indicative of abject failure.

Therefore, this letter is an urgent personal appeal to all members who
have not yet declared their intention to run for election. Would you
please seriously re-consider that possibility?

What is of concern, however, is the fact (as reported in the latest
issue of the News) that several of the nomination committees, in spite
of their hard work, were not able to gain the commitment of enough
candidates to fill their slates. Although members may also come forward
independently and declare candidacy (nomination by petition), this year,
sadly, we are short of numbers. For example, as of this writing,
Northern Alberta/NWT has no nominations for Councillor. Ontario, by far
the largest region, with the majority of members and the largest number
of Council seats, is not only short in slate nominees, but has no
candidates nominated by petition. This means not all available positions
will be filled. We lose legitimate representation. And while I applaud
all those across the country who have put their names forward, with only
a handful of contested elections anywhere, the process itself is put in
question.

Does this mean that the membership believes that the Association is
functioning so well that there is no need to get further involved? Or is
it something else? Whatever the reason, the need for member involvement
remains crucial. We can't sustain what we have without leadership and
solidarity. Nor can we change, adjust, and improve without it.

By putting yourself forward as a potential representative of your fellow
members, you reaffirm your commitment to maintaining and improving the
professional standards that so many have worked so hard to establish in
preceding years. By agreeing to run for election, you acknowledge that
the benefits you enjoy as a member were worth fighting for once, and are
worth fighting for still. By committing yourself to the process, you
affirm that the strength of the Association lies in the creative and
collective will of its membership. The names, the faces, the times, even
the wishes may change, but the benefits of professional association are
made possible only with constant renewal and commitment. Sharing our
experience, skills and knowledge makes all of our working lives better.

This Association has a proud history and tradition. Past members have
taken huge risks on behalf of their peers. They have committed time,
energy, talent, and skill, and demonstrated sheer courage to ensure that
collectively we all benefit from a better working life. But such actions
become irrelevant without continued vigilance and commitment to such
efforts. And let me point out that the work of an elected representative
is not about time lost, energy wasted, and personal life compromised. Oh
yes, it can be difficult. But it is also replete with sharing, learning,
and creative resolution (i.e. re - solution). It can fill you with
frustration, but it can also overwhelm you with satisfaction and pride.

As artists, whether in dance, opera or theatre, we enrich not only our
lives but also the lives of those around us. We are all wealthy in
creative thought and endeavour and in association with each other. In a
Nexus column in the News preceding CAEA's 25th Anniversary I said, "If
we can't celebrate ourselves, how can we expect anyone else to? ... We
owe it not only to all those who came before us, we owe it to
ourselves." Part of that celebration is acknowledgement of, and
commitment to, that very professional association which provides us with
support, benefits and collective strength. I could as easily have added
that we owe it to those who come after us.

Once more, please consider running for election. Ensure that our
professional collectivism continues to demonstrate the very best in
accountability, responsiveness, and pro-active resolution. Above all,
consider that representing the interests of your peers states quite
simply: "I am giving something back."

On behalf of our Association and its membership,

Victor A. Young, President

DEADLINE: July 14, 2003

Equity is only as strong as the commitment of its members. Everyone can
make a difference. Equity members as a collective determine the policies
of Equity. In practical terms, this means that members express their
views to their elected representatives - either those on their advisory
committee, sub-committees, or to their councillor - who in turn set
Equity's policies.

A nomination for petition needs to be signed by five members in good
standing, as well as the person being nominated, and submitted no later
than July 14, 2003.

You will have until July 14, 2003, to write and submit an election
statement in electronic and hard-copy format to:

National Office
Communications director
Canadian Actors' Equity Association
44 Victoria Street, 12th Floor
Toronto, ON  M5C 3C4

The statement (maximum 250 words) will appear in the September 2003
newsletter. In September 2003, each Region will hold an election
meeting, at which you may speak. If you are unable to attend, your
election statement will be read on your behalf. Election statements will
also be published in the September issue of Equity News.

To find out more, please look at the Candidate Information document
available online at:
http://www.caea.com/publications/elections/candidate-information.pdf

Download the Nomination by Petition form:
http://www.caea.com/publications/elections/nomination-by-petition.pdf