[e-drive][PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT - WEEKLY DIGEST - ALL REGIONS]

Darlene Bullard dbullard at caea.com
Wed Oct 1 12:11:22 EDT 2003

PLEASE READ THIS IMPORTANT NOTICE

In an attempt to limit the number of e-mails that are sent out from
Equity and not to fill our member's mailboxes we have implemented a new
WEEKLY DIGEST for Professional Development notices. Every Friday ALL
workshops will be compiled into a single e-mail that is divided
regionally.

--------------------
WORKSHOP - CALGARY
--------------------

SPRINGBOARD DANCE presents A Contact Improvisation Workshop

Saturday October 4th *11:00 am. - 1 pm. *(note time change from usual)
with Ray Chung (Berkeley, CA)

Open to dancers and physical actors all levels.

Ray Chung is a performer, teacher, researcher, engineer, and artist who
has worked with Contact Improvisation since 1979. He uses Contact
Improvisation as part of improvisational performance practice and
integrates other movement forms into his work, including martial arts,
bodywork and Authentic Movement. He regularly collaborates with dancers,
musicians, and other artists and has worked with Nancy Stark Smith,
Steve Paxton, Lisa Nelson, Peter Bingham, Chris Aiken, and others. Ray's
work has been at numerous national and international dance venues and
festivals. He has also danced in works directed by Anna halprin, George
Coates, and Judith Kajiwara. He resides in Berkeley, CA, when he is not
travelling.

When: October 4, 2003 11:00 am. - 1:00 pm
Where: Dancers' Studio West, 2007 - 10th Ave. S.W. (enter from back
alley)

Cost: $13 for adults , $10 for BA Dance Students/Equity

Call 265.3230 or email springboard at nucleus.com to pre register

Springboard Dance
205 8th Avenue S.E. Calgary, Alberta T2G 0K9
403.265.3230 fax403.294.7457
www.mcsquared.com/springboard
springboard at mcsquared.com

YOUTH THEATRE TRAINING PROGRAM (YTTP)- ONTARIO
through Theatre Ontario

NEW DEADLINE - October 31st
for training projects beginning after January 1st, 2004

Thanks to funding from the Ontario Arts Council, we are able to announce
a second deadline for this valuable training program. We will once again
have two annual deadlines:
October 31 [for projects beginning after January 1] and
May 1 [for projects beginning after July 1].

The Youth Theatre Training Program (YTTP) assists professional theatre
artists or organizations who wish to undertake projects that are a
special combination of training and practical experience for young
people in Ontario [young people are loosely defined as 14 - 24 years of
age].

The goal of this program is to expose young people to the many skills
involved in creating theatre, whether onstage or behind the scenes. It
is a priority of this program to provide access to underserved areas
geographically, culturally or economically within the province of
Ontario.

The YTTP gives grants for the express purpose of providing salary or
partial salary to professional theatre artists working in the capacity
of trainers. Other administrative costs or support staff are not
eligible for this funding. If the applicant is an organization, salaried
employees of that organization are not eligible for this funding.

. The maximum grant available is $5,000.

ELIGIBILITY

* Applicants must be Members of Theatre Ontario.
* Projects must have a primary focus in theatre skills.
* Projects should give strong practical experience to the participants.
* Projects must demonstrate that access to the training program is as
open as possible.
* The applicant and professional artists proposed for the project must
be Canadian citizens or have landed immigrant status and reside in
Ontario.

NOT ELIGIBLE
* Projects charging tuition fees are ineligible
* Projects receiving funding from other Ontario Arts Council programs
are ineligible

APPLICATION PROCEDURE

The complete guidelines and application forms are available on the
Theatre Ontario website:
www.theatreontario.org - see TRAINING

If you do not have internet access, call Theatre Ontario and we'll mail
the material.
We encourage consultation with Professional Theatre Coordinator Vinetta
Strombergs, at least two weeks prior to the deadline. You can get direct
feedback on a rough draft of your proposal.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION or ASSISTANCE IN COMPLETING YOUR APPLICATION:
contact Vinetta Strombergs at
Theatre Ontario, 215 Spadina Ave., Suite 210, Toronto, ON M5T 2C7
Phone (416) 408-4556
email: vinetta at theatreontario.org

----------------------
WORKSHOP: TORONTO
----------------------

Theatre Hybrid is offering two more workshops this fall. In October, we
will be presenting Level 2 of our Playing the Classics workshop. Then in
November, we bring an introductory exploration of Shakespeare's works.
Our instructor for these two workshops will be Andrew Freund. Details
are below or you can also check out our new website at
http://members.rogers.com/theatrehybrid

Playing the Classics - Level 2

Using the monologue brought to Level 1, the discoveries made during that
workshop will be refined to create sure, solid and detailed work. Each
discovery from Level 1 will be examined for its impact on the playing of
the text. A small portion of the morning will be used to explore warmup
techniques to unlock the voice and body. The remainder of the day will
be spent working on the material on its feet.
Class size - minimum 8, maximum 15

Date - Wednesday October 22, 2003 from 10am to 6pm at Solar Stage
(Sheppard and Yonge)
Cost - $50 for non-Equity, $40 for Equity and $30 to audit (price
includes lunch)

Demystifying Shakespeare

The focus of this workshop is to make Shakespeare fun and interesting
and break down the walls of awe and disinterest that are sometimes put
up by teachers, professors, parents and the media. The day will be spent
\'at the table\'. Beginning with a sonnet to unlock the metre and how it
deposits clues to playing the text, the work will continue with readings
of representative scenes and speeches from the plays and poems. Moments
in the history of Shakespeare\'s life and the Elizabethan age will also
be addressed throughout the day.
Class size - minimum 8, maximum 15

Date - Monday November 3, 2003 from 10am to 6pm at Solar Stage (Sheppard
and Yonge)
Cost - $50 for non-Equity, $40 for Equity (price includes lunch)

To register for either of these workshop, contact Heather Lacey via
e-mail at theatrehybrid at rogers.com or via phone at 416-435-8541.

--------------------
WORKSHOP - TORONTO
--------------------

Searching for Hana: Exploration for the Vocally Inquisitive With Kate
Hennig

Kate Hennig is offering her popular classes again. I call them voice
classes, because that is the basis of my training and the technique upon
which the study is based. In addition to the vocal element, they are
training the intuitive, right-brain facilities of our instruments and
our craft, and applying these facilities to physical and vocal work,
text, preparation, partnering, and more. (Please don't be intimidated by
the descriptions. It is not 'heady' work. It's really a whole lot of
play! And don't hesitate to call me if you have any concerns or
questions regarding your suitability to the work.)
The upcoming session of classes takes place at the Nightwood/Tapestry
Studio in the Cannery Building in The Distillery District.

All classes are from 7-9:30pm. The following classes are available:

Oct 14 - Hana 1: Energy

We look at vocal energy as it relates to the movement of the spine, the
connection with the feet, and through the polarities of vigourous and
delicate.
Sources: Kevin Crawford (Roy Hart Theatre), Tadashi Suzuki, Eugenio
Barba

Oct 15 - Hana 2: Element

We explore elementary vocal expression, and its relationship with the
elemental (earth, air, water, fire), and the archetypal sounds developed
by
Roy Hart. Sources: Michael Chekhov, Glynn MacDonald (Alexander
Technique), Noah Pikes (Roy Hart Theatre)

Oct 16 - Hana 3: Rhythm

We look at the five rhythms that Gabrielle Roth developed in her dance
work (flow, staccato, chaos, lyric, stillness) and apply them to sound
and text.
Sources: Gabrielle Roth

Oct 21 - Hana 7: Isolation
We look at various isolations of the sternum and the sacrum and how they
effect our expression. And then we look at a really great exercise on
physical character, and the challenge of retaining release within
extreme physical engagement. Sources: Kevin Crawford

Oct 22 - Hana 9: Source

After an amazingly releasing sound massage, we endeavour to access magic
rather than meaning in words and text. Sources: Peter Brook, Kevin
Crawford

Oct 23 - Hana 10: Presence

We explore the affect that vocal sound can have on us as listener, and
some of the metaphysical connections that we make between intention and
comprehension. This one can be a pretty wild ride. Sources: Joseph
Chaikin

One can take the full session, or individual classes. I have had to
raise my fees a bit this year, as my studio fees have increased
substantially. Sorry
about that. The fee schedule is now as follows:

Equity Rates for Single Classes
$24 + gst

Non-Equity Rate for Single Classes
$30.00 + GST

** Every fourth class is $12.00 + GST!

For registration or further information call or email Kate Hennig at
416.366.5980 or miskate at allstream.net.

Kate Hennig has an MA with Distinction in Voice Studies from the Central
School of Speech and Drama. She is an award winning actor with 22 years
of
experience on the boards in a broad range of genre. She recently
completeD the Pure Research Project for Nightswimming, where she
investigated
pre-verbal implications on text. Her research paper will soon be
published at www.nightswimming.org under the title Beneath the Poetry:
Magic Not
Meaning.
44 Victoria Street, 12th Floor