[e-drive][WORKSHOP DIGEST FOR MARCH 26]

Chris Blanchenot chris at caea.com
Fri Mar 26 16:24:04 EST 2004

WORKSHOP DIGEST FOR MARCH 26

1. WORKSHOP WITH JOHN KIRBY - VANCOUVER
2. SPRING VOICE CLASS - TORONTO
3. SEARS & SWITZER - TORONTO
4. WORKSHOP WITH STEWART PEARCE - TORONTO
5. BELLY DANCING - TORONTO
6. MOVEMENT FOR CLASSICAL SINGERS - TORONTO
7. STAGE AND FILM WORKSHOPS - MONTREAL

1. WORKSHOP WITH JOHN KIRBY - VANCOUVER

BORDER2BORDER ENTERTAINMENT
Presents

TWO DAY WORKSHOP WITH John Kirby
Praised in the Hollywood Reporter as "An Actor's Guardian Angel"

John Kirby - Recently finished coaching JamesCaviezel for the role of
Jesus is Mel Gibson's THE PASSION in Vancouver to share his wealth of
knowledge about being an actor in Hollywood, Pilot Season and great
scene study techniques

Saturday and Sunday April 24-25th, 2004

The Workshop:
Your headshot/resume will be couriered to John in Los Angeles and after
reviewing them he will choose a scene for you to prepare in advance of
the workshop weekend.  John utilizes Uta Hagen fundamentals with
emphasis on exploring a character, script analysis and finding the human
condition.

He'll also cover:
*	Everything you always wanted to know about having a career in
Hollywood.
*	Being an actor: Pros and cons of coaching, how to audition, how
to stand out from the crowd, casting directors: gods or monsters?
*	Getting a new career plan - or rethinking your old one.
*	What it takes: Talent, discipline, luck.
*	What's required: Learning about your craft, getting and keeping
an agent and personal manager, great headshots, etc.
Plus! Expert tips for avoiding pitfalls and making the right career
choices along the rocky road to success!

When:   10 - 5 PM  - Saturday, April 24th & Sunday, April 25th

Price: $267.50 (includes GST) (20% Equity Discount!)  - Please make
cheque payable to Border2Border Entertainment. Include your headshot and
resume as John would like to pre-select specific scenes for you to
prepare.

PO Box 15808
104-12 Water Street
Vancouver, BC
V6B 1A5

To reserve your place in this class, call 604-617-5148.   Space is
limited!  This class is sure to SELL OUT
------------------------------------

2. SPRING VOICE CLASS - TORONTO
SPRING VOICE CLASS with Sarah Weatherwax
There's still time to apply! WAKE UP & WARM UP after a long, cold
winter.

Free your voice as you relax and energize your body.  Learn the full
progression of Linklater voice exercises to warm-up before working -
also a very practical way for performers of all ages to keep their
instruments tuned up and ready to go between jobs. Learn from the other
students in this group setting and receive individual attention as
needed. Time will be allotted for coaching on songs and monologues.
This class is for young, career-minded actors & singers and seasoned
professionals alike.  No previous experience with Linklater Voice work
is necessary.

Each human body is a unique creation, therefore each body houses a
unique voice. Freeing your natural voice by eliminating habitual
muscular tension in your body is the beginning to becoming a more
refined, expressive, transformational actor and/or singer. Let go of
some old habits and a world of possibilities will be revealed. Shed some
of your physical tension so the character's body can live through you
more easily. Unblock your voice and your emotions will be unblocked.
Clear thinking will lead to clear articulation.

With freedom comes choice.

April 16, 04 - May 20, 04
*Fridays, 6:30 - 9:30 PM
*except Thurs. May 20
ISIS Studio, 66 Gerrard St. E.
$165 Non-CAEA, $132 CAEA
Apply by April 2, Call 416-466-5710
(pending avail. students may apply until class start date)

3. SEARS & SWITZER - TORONTO
Sears & Switzer announce Acting classes & workshop listings for SPRING &
SUMMER 2004.

Equity member discounts from 20%- 50% off listed workshop prices are
available, depending on the class. Ask for your discount when you reply.

LATEST LISTINGS AT: www.searsandswitzer.com

You can always get updates on dates, times and workshop availability on
the website at www.searsandswitzer.com or by calling us at 416-5164612.
This spring and summer you are welcome at the studio at 626 King Street
West between 6:00 and 7:30 pm on any evening when we have a class [see
below] or just call for an appointment. Our spring & summer sessions are
always the most popular of the year so RESERVE NOW BY CALLING
416-5164612: We are always sold-out. If a class is full, go on the
waiting list. You may get in at the last minute. We often add extra
workshop sessions when something sells out quickly, so check back in to
the website for updates anytime.

TV COMMERCIAL WEEKEND:
This class will make a huge difference in how you audition for TV
Commercial work. Any performer who is in that market should do this
class! We take you through every type of test audition and give
specific, highly targeted exercises to improve your commercial hit rate.
[May 1-2 OR July 10-11, 10-5:00 Sat/Sundays $225.00]

AUDITION SKILLS WEEKEND:
We cover most kinds of audition EXCEPT the TV Commercial process in this
intense immersion-style workshop. This is the workshop for people who
want to improve cold-reading and audition techniques for film, theatre
and TV roles. Actors should have some experience auditioning plus
fundamental training to get the most out of this class. We put a lot of
emphasis on how to prepare and then how to win. [June 5-6 or July 24-25
10-5:00 Sat/Sundays $225.00]

FOCUS ON FILM ACTING:
This is our core workshop for intermediate/advanced actors aiming at
film and television principal work. It's the place for actors to make
the transition from actor training or theatre into the working world of
film in the Canadian industry. You can be confident that you will cover
the basics and then go beyond. Also, it's the place for trained or
experienced performers to get to know our very powerful on-camera
approach. Each actor gets a ton of on-camera time in scenes recorded on
tape for their own use. [Tuesdays May 4-June 8 OR July 6-August 10 OR
Wednesdays July 7 -August 11, 6 weeks 7:30-10:30 pm for $295.00]

ADVANCING THE CAMERA RELATIONSHIP:
We usually suggest that actors do this class only after they have
previously worked with us but we will make exceptions for advanced
performers. This class features fresh ways to wake up a tired
performance, and lots of scene work with other good performers recorded
on tape. [Wednesday nights May 5-June 9, 6 weeks 7:30-10:30 pm for
$295.00]

THE VOICE-OVER OVERVIEW WEEKEND:
Do you have an exciting, unusual or well-trained voice? This workshop
will help you find out how to apply it to the Canadian voice industry.
We go over winning approaches to radio, TV voice-over and animation
work, from the audition to the studio session.  Do you have a poor, or
less than exciting, voice? This workshop is a highly efficient way for
actors to focus on voice and develop fresh ways to make an impact.
[August 7-8 $225.00]

ONE-ON-ONE COACHING:
We offer private audition coaching for that actor who suddenly gets the
BIG side. Phone us as soon as you can at 416-5164612. We can often
accommodate you on short notice. Private coaching is $50/session.

Note: All classes are subject to 7% GST
ACTRA and Equity members, always ask for your professional discount,
available for most workshops

Theresa Sears & David Switzer
Studio: 626 KING STREET WEST, TORONTO
Studio and VM info line: 416-5164612
www.searsandswitzer.com
-----

4. WORKSHOP WITH STEWART PEARCE - TORONTO
The Shakespeare Globe Centre of Canada announces
HUGE REDUCTION IN WORKSHOP FEE!

AN UNEXPECTED GENEROUS ANONYMOUS DONATION HAS ALLOWED US TO DRASTICALLY
REDUCE FEES FOR OUR UPCOMING WORKSHOP WITH Stewart Pearce Master of
Voice for the Shakespeare Globe Theatre in London, England

Stewart Pearce will share unique information concerning acting the
Classics, derived from the experience of working the reconstructed
open-air playhouse originally designed in 1599, for which Shakespeare
wrote many of his greatest plays. This extraordinary 'Wooden O Theatre'
encourages a dynamic relationship between Actor, Audience and
Architecture, an energy that arises from the very essence and being of
the Elizabethan renaissance.

April 13, 14, 15, 2004 in TORONTO

Returning for the third time, after two enormously successful previous
visits to Toronto, Mr. Pearce will lead his Masterclass workshop in
Voice and Performance for professional actors and theatre practitioners
in one-day sessions on April 13, 14 and 15, 2004.

COST: 	One day workshop (10 am to 5 pm)   $75.00 (Less than 50% of the
original price!)
		Plus $15 administrative Fee.
		(Non-Equity $95.00 plus $15 admin fee)

Each session can accommodate a maximum of 16 participants.  Priority
will be given to Equity members.

The workshop offers:
- Breathing and Energy Centring Techniques
- Discovery of your Body's Signature note
- Inspirational & Magnetic Globe Speak
- Body Architecture & Persona
- The Four Elements
- Form and Feeling
- Harmony and your creative potential

If there is sufficient interest from individuals who have studied with
Mr. Pearce before, a special advanced class will be offered.

If you are interested in participating in one of the one-day workshops,
please send your resume to:

The Shakespeare Globe Centre of Canada
Stewart Pearce Masterclass Workshop
c/o 39 Parliament Street, #611
Toronto, Ontario, M5A 4R2
Att: Catherine McNally

The deadline is April 2nd. Please indicate your preferred workshop date.
You will be asked to prepare one Shakespeare sonnet for the class. For
additional information contact jettelamb at rogers.com
------------------------------------

5. BELLY DANCING - TORONTO
--------------------------------------
Beginning Sunday, March 28 2004, Laurie Fyffe will be offering a series
of Belly Dance classes at M-Do Dance Studio, 50 Spadina Avenue, south of
King. Classes will introduce participants to the basic moves of the
Belly Dance with emphasis on its more theatrical elements, use of Zills
(finger cymbals), cane, and the veil. CAEA Members: First class PWYC.
Thereafter 20% off the regular class price of $10.00 per class. If
numbers permit, an additional class will be offered on Monday to
accommodate CAEA members.

Dates and Times: March 28th to May 30th, 11:30 am to 1:00 pm.

Laurie has studied and performed the Belly Dance since 1985. Most
recently she produced and performed in The Serpent of The Nile at
SummerWorks 2003. For further information call: (416) 929-5406 or
contact lauriefyffe at sympatico.ca.

6. MOVEMENT FOR CLASSICAL SINGERS - TORONTO

This workshop for professional singers will help awaken their fullest
expressive potential, by exploring and fine- tuning the singer's
physical expression through movement. Emphasis will be on awareness,
sensitivity and joy of movement.

Through dance and improvisation exercises this supportive workshop will
help the singer:

Learn new physical performance techniques (creating height, intimacy,
accessing the 'magnification' effect of the stage.)

Continue to refine the ability of the body as an expressive tool.

Release unwanted tension from the body.

Enrich the range of communication between fellow artists on stage as
well as the audience.Increase the singer's physical vocabulary.

Increase the singer's ability to perform precise physical movement, by
sensitizing the body's awareness.

Experiment with their body's range of motion simultaneously with the
voice.

Broaden their range of emotional expression.

When: Tuesday evenings from 6:30-9:00 April 20- May 25 (six weeks)
Fee:    $144.00 Equity, $180.00 non -equity
(including $50.00 non-refundable registration fee)

Where: 96 Spadina, Suite 802 at the Inter-galactic Arts Co-op ( SW
corner of Spadina and Adelaide in The Darling Building)

Contact: Hope @ 416 535 1989 or rubyhope at ca.inter.net

7. STAGE AND FILM WORKSHOPS - MONTREAL

ASM Performing Arts is a professional training studio offing workshops
to actors for stage and film.   Visit our web site for workshop schedule
and special events. Special 20% discount offered to CAEA members .
Located in downtown Montreal, ASM is owned and operated by CAEA members
Chip Chuipka, Dean Fleming & Lisa Kagan

www.asmstudio.net  (514)868-9111

Canadian Actors' Equity Association
44 Victoria Street, 12th Floor