[e-drive] E-DRIVE [WORKSHOP DIGEST FOR THE WEEK OF AUGUST 19]

caea-l at list.web.net caea-l at list.web.net
Fri Aug 19 11:48:58 EDT 2005

WORKSHOP DIGEST FOR THE WEEK OF AUGUST 19
1. WORKSHOP ON DIRECTING - VANCOUVER
2. IMPROV WORKSHOPS - TORONTO
3. INTRODUCTION SESSION with Gilles Plouffe - MONTREAL

1. WORKSHOP ON DIRECTING - VANCOUVER
What I cover in the workshop are skills and methodologies for discovery
in preproduction text analysis, as well as skills and methodologies that
can be useful in the practical implementation of those discoveries
within the subsequent design and rehearsal processes.
The first part of the workshop will happen in a lecture/discussion
format, and the second part will involve exploration in a practical
hands on format.
Workshop participants are asked to well acquaint themselves with Arthur
Miller's DEATH OF A SALESMAN, which will be used as a common reference
for our discussions of pre-production analysis, as well as a working
text for our exploration of rehearsal tools and methodologies.
Participants will be asked to bring a copy of this text to the workshop.
In our exploration of the rehearsal process, a few participants will be
asked to also serve as actors in one of a couple of scenes from DEATH OF
A SALESMAN.
I am also hoping, near the end of our time together, to include an open
discussion of any areas of interest pertaining to directing not covered
by the workshop.

John Cooper
Workshop Instructor

Dates: Thursday October 6th to Sunday October 9th 2005.
Times: Thursday and Friday 6:00pm to 10:00pm ~ Saturday and Sunday
11:00am to 5:00pm
@ Carousel Theatre Rehearsal Hall 1411 Cartwright Street on Granville
Island Vancouver BC

Cost $50.00 for Equity Members in good standing (workshop is subsidized
by Equity's Professional Development Fund).  ~ Non-Equity Members
interested please call Chris McGregor as Equity members will be
considered first. Maximum number of participants is twelve (12).

For more information contact Chris McGregor @ 604-669-3410
2. IMPROV WORKSHOPS - TORONTO
Sep/Oct Improv Classes Begin at the Bad Dog Theatre

Toronto's Bad Dog Theatre is pleased to announce its new round of
improvisation classes starting in Sep/Oct 2005. Offered through the Bad
Dog Training Centre,
these classes are taught by Canada's top improv teachers and performers
including several
Canadian Comedy Award Winners and Nominees.

Formerly known as Theatresports Toronto, the Bad Dog Theatre has been
teaching and performing improv in Toronto for over 20 years.
We are a proud member of the Toronto Association of Acting Studios
(TAAS).

Classes begin the week of Aug 28th 2005. To register, email
Workshop Director Ralph MacLeod at ralph at baddogtheatre.com
or call 416.903.5388 (cell) or 416.491.3115 (hotline).

All classes are $170 unless indicated otherwise.
Get a $10 Early Bird discount if you register and pay by Aug 26th.
CAEA members are entitled to an additional 20% discount.

You can register now for the classes below.
Visit http://www.baddogtheatre.com for detailed class descriptions.
3. INTRODUCTION SESSION with Gilles Plouffe - MONTREAL
John Strasberg's "ORGANIC CREATIVE PROCESS" for the actor.
My Organic Creative Process evolves from where the Method, other
systems, and the great teachers like Stanislavski,
my father and Stella Adler, left off. I define, and train Talent,
Imagination, Intuition and Spontaneous Inspiration,
the Natural Laws of Creativity that remained a mystical, invisible world
to teachers before me.
My basic training develops the actor's knowledge of him/her self.
Beginning with, and developing from, your natural capacity to
become deeply involved, an actor dreams awake, creating a new life, from
real and imaginary life.
You make the invisible world visible; expressing your, intuitive and
conscious, vision of life in your art.
Because, an artist has something to say about life.
John Strasberg FREE Session - One evening - Tuesday Aug. 30 or Sept. 6.
- 7:30 P.M.
TRAINER: GILLES PLOUFFE is an experienced professional working actor in
theatre, film & television.
He has studied and worked many years with Mr. Strasberg and has also
taught acting at ACTRA, the National Screen Institute,
the Algonquin College Theatre Program, Dynamic Theatre Factory and
Theatre North America.
Information/registration: JOHN STRASBERG STUDIOS Montreal 514-272-9430