[e-drive] E-DRIVE [JOB - ARTISTIC DIRECTOR - CALGARY]

caea-l at list.web.net caea-l at list.web.net
Thu Mar 3 16:17:39 EST 2005

Please direct all responses and inquiries directly to the theatre or association listed in the e-drive notice below.

JOB - ARTISTIC DIRECTOR - CALGARY
Our client, Theatre Calgary, has the mandate to create vital and insightful productions of classical and contemporary plays from the Canadian and international repertoires.  They emphasize powerful, evocative language and substantial, complex stories relevant to the people of Calgary and southern Alberta.
Theatre Calgary is the resident company of the state-of-the-art theatre in the Epcor Centre of Performing Arts.  Designed in conjunction with Theatre Calgary, the Max Bell Theatre is a striking performance space.  All 750 seats are within sixty feet from the stage so audiences can enjoy the kind of intimate rapport with the actors that serves to enhance the magical experience of live theatre.
ARTISTIC DIRECTOR
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Artistic Director is responsible for the creation and implementation of artistic policy and, in conjunction with the President and Board Chair, the financial budgeting.  Through effective communications, the Artistic Director has the proven ability to deal with diverse creative personalities, and possesses a commitment to provide excellent customer services.  Knowledge of operating procedures in technical and administrative areas, and access to a nation-wide talent pool are also important.  Other duties include:
-	creativity and play selection, having regard for factors such as:
-	Canadian work;
-	popular work;
-	family work;
-	challenging work;
-	classical repertoire;
-	special projects;
-	available talent and resources; and,
-	the current environment.
-	productions on the Theatre Calgary stage;
-	joint ventures with other theatres and theatre groups;
-	matters relating to the theatrical management in consultation with the President and Board Chair;
-	the hiring and supervision of all freelance/guest directors, actors, designers, and artists;
-	audience development;
-	participation in Board meetings as an ex-officio, non-voting member of the Board;
-	participation as an ex-officio, non-voting member of the Executive Committee;
-	interfacing with the audience on a regular basis for feedback, etc.;
-	support the President and Board in fundraising activities; and,
-	act as a spokesperson with both the media and the community at large.

Your background and experience will include proven experience as an Artistic Director, with an understanding of financial management.  Additionally, you play a key role in the community and are looked to for your input, feedback and counsel on issues relating to the Arts.  An appreciation of how arts and business work together is an asset.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
For additional information, or, to forward your resume to, quoting Project #3015:
	Debra J. Johnstone, CMC, CHRP	Phone - 403.294.3779
	Partner	Fax - 403.294.7240
	Cenera	E-Mail - opportunities at cenera.ca
	1100, 1015 - 4th Street S.W.
	Calgary, Alberta   T2R 1J4
E-mail responses preferred so as they can be electronically added to our database.  By applying to the position of Artistic Director, you are providing us with permission to review your résumé with the Selection Committee of Theatre Calgary only.  In relation to future Searches, we assure you that the information you provide will be treated in the strictest confidence.  We would like to retain your résumé in our database and would contact you when other opportunities arise.