[e-drive] EQUIFLASH - BLUE MAN GROUP CONSUMER BOYCOTT ANNOUNCED

caea-l at list.web.net caea-l at list.web.net
Thu Mar 31 17:15:22 EST 2005

----------------
EQUIFLASH - BLUE MAN GROUP CONSUMER BOYCOTT ANNOUNCED
----------------
NATIONAL - Canadian Actors' Equity Association, the Toronto Musicians'
Association - Local 149 of the American Federation of Musicians, and the
International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees - Locals 58 and 822
announce the launch of a consumer boycott of BLUE MAN GROUP tickets and
our protest website www.bluemanboycott.com.

Blue Man Group Productions is preparing to open a production in Toronto
at the newly-renovated Panasonic Theatre (formerly the New Yorker
Theatre). Blue Man Group producers have repeatedly ignored our attempts
to negotiate contracts specifying base pay, benefits and defined working
conditions with Canadian Actors' Equity Association (Equity), the
Toronto Musicians' Association (TMA) and the International Alliance of
Theatrical Stage Employees (IATSE) Locals 58 and 822. We have undertaken
a joint consumer boycott in order to pressure the producers to negotiate
fair and equitable contracts with artists and technicians.

We call on the public to boycott the purchase of Blue Man Group tickets
until agreements are negotiated with Equity, IATSE and the TMA. We ask
that the public support our boycott and write the producer to demand
that negotiations commence immediately. We invite concerned citizens to
visit our website at www.bluemanboycott.com, sign the on-line protest
petition, and register any comments.

Blue Man Group's incursion into Toronto is evidence of the increasing
corporatization of Canadian arts and culture. Martin Long, President of
the Elementary Teachers of Toronto urges his members to resist "this
Wal-Mart style intrusion into the Toronto theatre scene" in support of
the boycott initiative.

Every major theatrical producer in Toronto adheres to agreements with
Equity, the TMA and IATSE. By refusing to negotiate a contract with the
relevant associations and unions, Blue Man Group is undercutting
legitimate producers like Canadian Stage (The Overcoat, Ain't
Misbehavin) and Mirvish Productions (Mamma Mia!, Hairspray, Lord of the
Rings). These producers provide Toronto with top-quality shows that draw
audiences from near and far. We demand that this producer work on a
level playing field with other professional producers.

Media and special guests are invited to attend a media conference on
Tuesday, April 5th, announcing the official launch of the Blue Man Group
consumer boycott campaign. Presentations by Equity, IATSE and TMA
officials will be followed by a question and answer period.

MEDIA CONFERENCE
April 5th 1-2:30 p.m. (RSVP by April 4th at 416-867-9165 - ask for Alex)
Bluma Appel Theatre Lobby at the St. Lawrence Centre for the Arts, 27
Front Street East

The Ontario Federation of Labour, Ontario Teachers' Federation, the
Ontario Secondary School Teachers' Federation, OSSTF - District 12
(Toronto), Elementary Teachers of Toronto, Canadian Union of Public
Employees (Local 4400), Union des artistes, ACTRA Toronto Performers and
ACTRA National have all endorsed our boycott initiative. In addition to
active Equity, TMA and IATSE members, these organizations collectively
represent over 150,000 potential ticket-buyers throughout Ontario. Our
shared goal is to ensure that professional artists and technicians
working in live theatre have a fair working contract when the Blue Man
Group production opens in June 2005.

Actors' Equity Association (USA), IATSE International, Media and
Entertainment Arts Alliance/Australian Equity, British Equity, Norwegian
Actors' Equity Association, UNI-MEI (international), and the
International Federation of Actors have also registered their support
for this initiative.

44 Victoria Street, 12th Floor