[e-drive] E-DRIVE [CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS - PLAYWRITING - VANCOUVER/GATEWAY]

CAEA News Bulletin Service caea-l at list.web.net
Wed Jul 4 17:54:53 EDT 2007

------
CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS - PLAYWRITING - VANCOUVER/GATEWAY
------
Gateway Theatre, Richmond's professional theatre company, invites
submissions from established and emerging Canadian playwrights for
SceneFirst, our New Play Development Program. Now into its fourth
season, SceneFirst focuses on developing and producing new works as well
as providing developmental support for many other works in progress.
Last year we received over 100 submissions and four were selected for
public readings.  In our 2007-2008 Season, RADIO DAZE, a submission from
our 2005/06 SceneFirst will be presented on our Mainstage.

If your play is selected you will be contacted by January 2008.  Scripts
selected for SceneFirst will receive a short workshop and staged reading
from February 4th-8th, 2007, and will be automatically short-listed for
production in our upcoming seasons.

Deadline for Submissions: October 31, 2007.

GUIDELINES:
1. Scripts must be Canadian, original, unproduced and between 60 and 120
minutes in length. Scripts previously submitted to SceneFirst will not
be accepted.
2. Playwrights must be citizens or landed immigrants of Canada.
3. We will accept one submission per playwright.
4. Political themes are encouraged. This includes the politics of
government, the workplace, relationships, evolving communities etc.
5. Cast size: Plays in our season usually range in cast size from 1-5
actors.
6. Plays of specific ethnic origins are welcome but must be submitted in
an English translation.
7. Please include a one-page synopsis with your submission.  The
Synopsis should include theme, plot, and length of play, character
breakdown and any doubling possibilities.
8. Please include a title page, with the name of play, author's name and
contact information.
9. Submissions must be in hard copy only (emails will NOT be accepted),
typed or word-processed, single sided, loose pages and minimum 11-point
font on white paper. All pages must be numbered with the title of the
play on each page.
10. Please DO NOT submit original copies; Gateway Theatre will not
return materials.
Please note: Gateway Theatre encourages contemporary casting for all
play readings and productions. Playwrights whose scripts are selected
are encouraged to attend the workshop and staged reading.  An honorarium
will be provided to writers however travel is the responsibility of the
artist.

Scripts should be mailed to:
SCENEFIRST
Gateway Theatre
6500 Gilbert Road,
Richmond, B.C.
V7C 3V4

For more information regarding SceneFirst please email
artisticassociate at gatewaytheatre.com or call 604-247-4974.
Toronto, ON  M5C 3C4