[e-drive] EQUIFLASH [SUSAN WALLACE STEPPING DOWN AS EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF EQUITY]

caea-l at list.web.net caea-l at list.web.net
Mon Mar 26 16:55:23 EDT 2007

----------------------------------
EQUIFLASH - SUSAN WALLACE STEPPING DOWN AS EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF EQUITY
----------------------------------

The national Council of Canadian Actors' Equity Association announces today that it has accepted the resignation of Executive Director Susan Wallace.  Ms. Wallace will be leaving the position to take up other challenges, the details of which will be announced at a later date.

In accepting her resignation, President Allan Teichman was moved to note, on behalf of the Council "The world of live performance is one of constant change, and for the past dozen years, Susan Wallace has been instrumental in helping Equity to manage that change on behalf of its members, and to create change of their own. The task itself is monumental; to have seen it handled so expertly is exceptional. Susan has served the members of Equity with diligence, passion and integrity, and Council, while truly saddened by her departure, wishes her every success."

Ms. Wallace reports "My immediate plan is to spend some long-overdue time with my new granddaughter, my family and friends."  She adds, "I leave the Association with a heavy heart but with the knowledge that Equity is in fine shape and is in the hands of caring and capable elected representatives and staff. I have loved every moment of my time with Equity. It has been my joy and my pride to serve the membership from every region of the country and in every discipline. My sadness in leaving is tempered only by my certainty that Equity will remain ready to meet new challenges and continue to be a force to be reckoned with."

Susan Wallace joined Equity as its Executive Director in 1995, leaving her law practice in Saskatchewan. Ms. Wallace's many accomplishments demonstrate her innovative leadership as head of the Association.

During her tenure, Equity became the first English Association to receive certification under federal Status of the Artist Act legislation (1996). She coordinated the grand celebration of Equity's 25th Anniversary with festivities taking place from coast to coast (2001). As the architect of the Blue Man Group boycott coalition she brought the issue of artists' working conditions into the national spotlight (2005). In 2005 she launched Equity's twinning program with Oruuano in Namibia, all of which will be beautifully detailed in the pages of the Association's new magazine EQ, which launches in April 2007.  She leaves the Association richer by her passionate and tireless advocacy efforts on behalf of live performance artists.

Ms Wallace's resignation takes effect in early summer, 2007. Equity's national Council struck a search committee at a meeting earlier today.

Please contact Communications Director Lynn McQueen at commdir at caea.com for any additional information.

Canadian Actors' Equity Association
44 Victoria Street, 12th floor
Toronto, ON  M5C 3C4