[e-drive] EQUIFLASH [BILL C-10 - ARTISTIC CENSORSHIP IN THE GUISE OF LEGISLATIVE CHANGE]

CAEA News Bulletin Service caea-l at list.web.net
Fri Feb 29 14:06:14 EST 2008

-------------------------
ARTISTIC CENSORSHIP IN THE GUISE OF LEGISLATIVE CHANGE
-------------------------

Canadian Actors' Equity Association joins the chorus of arts and culture voices across Canada condemning the Conservative government's plan to render certain productions ineligible for film and television tax credits.

"The proposed changes to the Income Tax Act are a peculiar new form of censorship and appears to be direct interference in the existing programs." states Arden R. Ryshpan, Executive Director. She continued "Artists in this country, regardless of the medium they work in, must be free to create without worrying about what might or might not be interpreted as 'contrary to public policy'."

Equity calls on the government to amend the proposed changes to the Act and to respect the arms-length film and television funding process currently in place.

"We hope that this is not the direction the government intends to pursue with all arts funding and we join with our colleagues in the film and television community in condemning these actions." said Ryshpan.

Canadian Actors' Equity Association is the voice of professional artists working in live performance in English Canada. It is a national artists' association representing more than 5,500 performers, directors, choreographers, fight directors and stage managers working in theatre, opera and dance from coast to coast.

Canadian Actors' Equity Association
44 Victoria Street, 12th floor
Toronto, ON  M5C 3C4
tel: 416-867-9165