EQUIFLASH [ARTS ADVOCACY - ELECTION ALERT]

CAEA e-drive caea-l at list.web.net
Fri Sep 5 18:16:19 EDT 2008

-----------------------------------
ARTS ADVOCACY - ELECTION ALERT
-----------------------------------
Equity was recently informed that emergency Standing Committee on
Canadian Heritage hearings on the issue of recent arts funding cuts have
been delayed indefinitely.

Furthermore, the likelihood of an imminent federal election may pre-empt
future meetings on this issue.

If called to testify, the Association's message to the Committee would
have been clear. We would have called on the Government to review its
decision to terminate funding programs and to explain to the arts
community how cultural diplomacy activities will be funded in the
future. Further, we would have asked the Government to commit to
increased, stable multi-year funding for all federal arts and culture
sector programs.

A copy of Executive Director Arden R. Ryshpan's pre-empted remarks is
now posted on Equity's website at http://www.caea.com. We urge all
members to read this statement.

In anticipation of a federal election call this weekend, keep tuned to
EQUITYONLINE for arts and culture election coverage, all-candidate
meeting information and links to the major parties and their election
platforms.
Canadian Actors' Equity Association
communications at caea.com