EQUIFLASH [NEW BILL TO DELIVER TAX FAIRNESS FOR ONTARIO ARTS WORKERS]

CAEA e-drive caea-l at list.web.net
Tue Dec 8 18:02:50 EST 2009

---------------------------
NEW BILL TO DELIVER TAX FAIRNESS FOR ONTARIO ARTS WORKERS
---------------------------

A bill introduced at Queen's Park today will deliver tax fairness for
artists, and implement longstanding recommendations to help Ontario's
$19-billion arts industry. NDP arts and culture critic Peter Tabuns
introduced the bill, which enjoys broad support among artists and their
unions. Many of its components are already in place in Quebec.

"Arts don't just make life in Ontario more enjoyable, they are a big
pillar of our economy," said Tabuns. "The industry needs help recovering
from the recession. And though arts workers aren't in
it for the money, they deserve financial security. "We've studied these
issues for long enough. These changes are long past due," he said.

The bill would amend the Taxation Act, and reflect some of the unique
circumstances that workers in the arts face.

Key changes include allowing income tax averaging, recognizing the
significant fluctuations in annual income that routinely occur from year
to year. "Arts workers often encounter periods without steady work,"
said Wendy Crewson, Canadian star and cultural advocate. "Tax averaging
takes these peaks and valleys into account, and better reflects an
artist's overall financial position. Letting artists average their
income doesn't mean they're not taxed. Only that they're taxed using a
more accurate, realistic gauge."

She noted that workers in the arts, despite 43 per cent having a
university degree, earn an average of just $26,800 a year-26 per cent
below the workforce average. Most can't make ends meet on
arts income alone, despite spending an average of two-thirds of their
work time in the arts.

The bill also calls for a tax exemption on government grant income and
for royalties derived from the sale of a creative work to be tax-free.

"Artists aren't asking for special status. These kinds of measures
already exist for other types of workers and in other jurisdictions.
We're merely looking for the same considerations to be extended
to those working in arts and culture in Ontario." said Arden R. Ryshpan,
Executive Director of Canadian Actors' Equity Association.

"It doesn't make sense for the government to support artists with one
hand, then tax that support back with the other," said Jim Biros,
Executive Director of the Toronto Musicians Association. "GM's
bail-out money wasn't taxed as income. Grants for artists shouldn't be,
either."

"It's time Ontario recognized the value that arts bring to our
province," summed up Tabuns, "We all like knowing there is a thriving
arts sector, and we all enjoy its products. But like any industry, its
workers need to make a living and I call on all parties to pass these
reforms so more of them can."
Canadian Actors' Equity Association
44 Victoria Street, 12th floor
Toronto, ON  M5C 3C4