EQUIFLASH [EQUITY SUPPORTS A NEW BILL TO EXTEND FILM-STYLE PRODUCTION CREDITS TO LIVE PERFORMANCE IN ONTARIO]

CAEA e-drive caea-l at list.web.net
Fri Nov 20 14:22:58 EST 2009

-----------------------
EQUITY SUPPORTS A NEW BILL TO EXTEND FILM-STYLE PRODUCTION CREDITS TO LIVE PERFORMANCE IN ONTARIO
-----------------------

Arts community calls on the Ontario government to invest in live performance to create jobs.

Peter Tabuns (NDP, Toronto-Danforth) today unveiled a new Private Members Bill aimed to create jobs in live performances.  If passed, Ontario would become the first province to extend film-style production credits to arts like theatre, music and dance.
The bill is modeled on one in Louisiana, which wanted to help rebuild New Orleans's live performance industry in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.

"If new ideas can help New Orleans rebound from a hurricane, they can help Ontario diversify our economy after the recession," said Tabuns.

Leaders in the arts community joined the call for investment to support arts development.   "Film production credits have helped make Ontario a major centre for film production in North America. Similar credits for live performance would boost jobs and new performance development, too," says Arden R. Ryshpan executive director speaking on behalf of Canadian Actors' Equity Association.
If passed, the bill would give Cabinet power to extend tax credits and create investment and jobs for actors, dancers, musicians and other workers who make things come alive on stage, like carpenters, electricians and painters.

"The arts are a major employer, but we can do better," explains Jim Biros Executive Director of the Toronto Musicians Association.  "They need the kind of support that the film industry receives, so we can leverage arts investment into tourism and other job creators."

This initiative has wide support across the Ontario Arts community, including backing from the American Federation of Musicians - Canada and the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees. Theatre producer David Mirvish also speaks in favour of the legislation stating "All parties should see the good in these proposals because they are about creating employment in Canada - and what could be bad about that?"

"Production Tax Credits have been instrumental to the growth of the Canadian television and film industry. They could contribute significantly to developing our live theatre productions. Dynamic competitors such as the city of Chicago have already introduced such policies. Production tax credits for live theatre will ensure we continue to be competitive, attract tourism, and build the theatre industry." reports Antoni Cimolino, General Director of the Stratford Shakespeare Festival.

The arts are a $19 billion industry in Ontario and employ 430,000 people directly and indirectly.
Canadian Actors' Equity Association
44 Victoria Street, 12th floor
Toronto, ON  M5C 3C4
tel: 416-867-9165