EQUIFLASH [CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS - INDEPENDENT THEATRE REVIEW COMMITTEE]

CAEA e-drive caea-l at list.web.net
Fri May 7 16:10:56 EDT 2010

CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS - INDEPENDENT THEATRE REVIEW COMMITTEE
Equity Council's newly-formed Independent Theatre Review Committee has a
great deal of work ahead of it and we are looking for members to join
us! For a bit of background on the formation of the Committee, see
Council President Allan Teichman's recent blog post on the subject:
http://councilconnection.blogspot.com/2010/04/independent-theatre-review
-committee.html

This Committee has a few specific objectives set out by Council**:
* Collect and compile information on the current state of engagement
opportunity for work that operates below the scale of the current CTA
and ITA agreements.
* Acquire information from staff, a representative cross-section of
independent theatre engagers, and a representative cross-section of the
membership.
* Arrive at no fewer than three alternatives for policy change to
improve member engagement opportunities for work below the scale of the
CTA and ITA.
* Present an interim report to Council in February 2011, with a final
report to be considered at the full Council meeting in June 2011.
**It is important to note that the Committee has NOT been tasked with
creating new agreements or modifying existing ones, but with providing
decision-making information to Council that will inform changes to
existing agreements or the creation of new ones.

To help us achieve our task, we are actively seeking diverse and active
representation on this Committee from all across Canada.  To keep the
size of the group manageable, we are aiming for a final committee of
about 12 members.  The Committee is then expecting to interface heavily
with regional CPAGs in order to effectively acquire information from as
much of the national membership as possible.

If you are interested in being a part of this important committee, and
you are a member in good standing, please let us know before May 15,
2010.  To help us get acquainted with you, please send an email to
itrcommittee at caea.com indicating:
* Your name and your member number
* Where you live, and the geographical region(s) in which you typically
work
* Your level of interest/activity in the disciplines of performance,
directing, and stage management
* Your level of interest/activity in engaging members as part of
small-scale and independent theatre projects OR participating in such
projects as a member
* Which agreements you generally work under.  Since the Committee will
be canvassing a broad range of the membership for input, it is important
that the committee itself reflect a wide spectrum of experience and
opinion. Participation from members who typically work under ITA, CTA,
or other large-scale agreements such as the Stratford Addendum are also
welcome and needed.

Equity's Council is committed to the creation of a Committee that is
representative of the diverse membership of the Association, and we
encourage members of a visible minority group, Aboriginal peoples,
persons with a disability and women to join the ITR Committee.

We anticipate receiving far more interest than we can accommodate on the
committee, and our top priority will be in assembling as regionally,
culturally, and professionally diverse a group of people as possible who
can, in turn, help collect information from ALL interested members.
Once the committee has been struck we will re-assess the
comprehensiveness of our own make-up as a group to ensure we have met
our representative target, and then focus on an action plan for the
year.  All interested members, regardless of whether or not they can be
accommodated on the committee, will be consulted for their views on this
critical topic.

Additional information on the Independent Theatre Review Committee is
available on EQUITYONLINE at http://www.caea.com.
44 Victoria Street, 12th floor
Toronto, ON  M5C 3C4
tel: 416-867-9165