EQUIFLASH [2011 BASIC DUES INCREASE REFERENDUM RESULTS ANNOUNCED]

CAEA e-drive caea-l at list.web.net
Fri Dec 9 10:50:48 EST 2011

2011 BASIC DUES INCREASE REFERENDUM RESULTS ANNOUNCED
Voting for the 2011 Dues Referendum closed Thursday, December 8 at 5:00 p.m. Pacific time.

Members defeated the first proposed bylaw change (a phased-in increase to basic dues), with 56.5% voting in favour. Members also defeated the second proposed bylaw change (automatic geared-to-inflation adjustments to basic dues, beginning in 2020), with 57.8% voting in favour. Under the terms of Bylaw 91, each proposal required a two-thirds (2/3rds) majority for passage.

A total of 5,815 ballots were distributed to eligible voters, and we achieved a return rate of 37.1%, the highest in any recent records. With the addition of electronic tabulation and voting through the internet and telephone, we were able to provide much more effective service to members who were away from their home base. Staff were also able to handle the significant rush of voters who contacted the office in the last few days, requesting replacement of misplaced or missing voter kits, or other assistance. Late voters accounted for an astounding 30% of the total returns.

Equity Council estimates that we have about two years before we will need to come back to the membership once again with a new dues increase proposal. Because we cannot allow the Association to arrive at that next point of decision with no action taken in the interim, our next step will be to determine the structural and service changes necessary to align expenses with a continued reduction in the purchasing power of basic dues.

Council thanks all members who took the time to discuss the topic, ask questions, attend the online forums and, of course, to vote. We regret the failure of the dues proposals, but it is the democratic decision of the membership, and we respect what you have told us.

In this, as in all matters, what we do begins with you.

Equity Council 2009-2012
Enquiries regarding the 2011 Dues Referendum results may be directed to President Allan Teichman at president at caea.com.

A full accounting of 2011 Dues Referendum results is posted on EQUITYONLINE at http://www.caea.com.
44 Victoria Street, 12th floor