EQUIFLASH [POTENTIAL LOSS OF ANNUAL FUNDING IS ATTACK ON THE ARTS]

CAEA e-drive caea-l at list.web.net
Wed Jun 29 17:21:56 EDT 2011

-------------------------
POTENTIAL LOSS OF ANNUAL FUNDING IS ATTACK
ON THE ARTS
-------------------------

Canadian Actors' Equity Association condemns Finance Minister Jim Flaherty's recent statements warning arts institutions to "stay on their toes" on the assumption that grants to cultural institutions and festivals will not be automatically continued. This sudden change in position belies recent Government statements assuring a commitment to culture by providing long-term stability for arts organizations (see statement from James Moore, Minister of Canadian Heritage - http://www.pch.gc.ca/pc-ch/infoCntr/cdm-mc/index-eng.cfm?action=doc&DocIDCd=CR110125).

As proponents of good business practice, the Government preaches planning and stability as key to long-term economic success. With this implied threat to cultural industries' funding, without warning or criteria upon which such a change in practice is based, the Government runs the risk of destabilizing the cultural industries' significant contributions to Canada's economic engine.

"It is hard to interpret the Minister's statement as anything but a threat and a potential ideological attack on the arts. I don't recall seeing similar statements made about long-term government support to other industries such as forestry, fisheries or mining" states Arden R. Ryshpan, Executive Director. "Given that our industry is larger than all three of these sectors combined, we deserve better from our Government including meaningful consultation leading to thoughtful program change and development, if required. An off-the-cuff remark by a Minister alluding to substantial change of practice is shocking and imprudent." Ryshpan continues.

Canadian Actors' Equity Association is the voice of professional artists working in live performance in English Canada. It is a national artists' association representing more than 6,000 performers, directors, choreographers, fight directors and stage managers working in theatre, opera and dance from coast to coast.
Canadian Actors' Equity Association
44 Victoria Street, 12th floor
Toronto, ON  M5C 3C4
tel: 416-867-9165