EQUIFLASH [INSURANCE SURVEY - FINAL REPORT TO THE EQUITY MEMBERSHIP]

CAEA e-drive caea-l at list.web.net
Wed Oct 19 17:38:52 EDT 2011

-------------------------------
INSURANCE SURVEY - FINAL REPORT TO THE EQUITY MEMBERSHIP
-------------------------------
Equity Council is pleased to share the final report from the 2011
Insurance Survey, including the resulting policy recommendations. For
those who really want all the detailed research results, we have also
included a copy of the survey report. All the survey information will
become the yardstick by which a new plan will be shaped.

At our September meeting, Council implemented the recommended policy
changes. The most far-reaching change is that insurance coverage will no
longer be tied only to weeks of work. Although some portions of it may
still be connected to engagement, this amendment will free up staff to
implement options such as year-round coverage in some areas, and to
enable premium structures that are not wholly derived from paycheques.

There is now an explicit requirement to offer benefits that meet the
expressed needs of the members. Thanks to your input, we have a good
idea of what those parameters currently are, and how they vary across
the membership spectrum. Further details appear in the survey report.
This policy change directs staff to revise the plan in keeping with the
survey results. More importantly for the long term, it will also
necessitate ongoing review of all aspects of the plan and continued
adjustment to ensure that the plan changes as membership needs do.

There is also a requirement to maintain affordable premium levels. Not
that we haven't sought to do this as a matter of course anyhow, but
price was the prime determinant of member choice in the survey, and this
new policy will ensure that premium level remains a strong driver in
shaping a new plan. As one might imagine, this will be one of our
biggest challenges. It is most likely to be managed by offering a base
plan at a premium that will be widely affordable, with options to
increase or add coverage at reasonable rates for those able to afford
more.

Finally, we heard that members need more information about the plan,
delivered more consistently, as well as assistance in accessing those
benefits in times of need. These, too, are new policy requirements.

We trust this goes without saying, but the changes called for by the
membership are not ones that are going to appear overnight. Launching a
new plan will likely take up to a year. Assembling the plan and
determining premium levels for group coverage of over 5,500 members is a
complex undertaking. Staff will also need to seek tenders from a range
of insurance providers in order to ensure we are providing members with
the best value for their money, and ensure that premiums remain
affordable. Roughly one-third of our membership reports having dual
coverage with other associations, and a rationalization of those
services has also been called for. All options are on the table, and it
will take some time to find the ones that serve you best.

Council, its insurance committee and our staff would like to thank the
members for their detailed input into this research. What we do relies
on you.  Comments and questions on the Insurance survey and report may
be sent to councilcontact at caea.com.
44 Victoria Street, 12th floor
Toronto, ON  M5C 3C4
tel: 416-867-9165