EQUIFLASH [UNIONS DENOUNCE COC'S COMMENTS ON CBC BROADCASTS]

CAEA e-drive caea-l at list.web.net
Thu Oct 4 14:46:48 EDT 2012

-------------------------------
UNIONS DENOUNCE COC'S COMMENTS ON CBC BROADCASTS
-------------------------------
The following media release was jointly released by Equity, ACTRA and the Toronto Musicians' Association on October 3, 2012.
-------------------------------
Representatives of Canadian Actors' Equity Association, Toronto Musicians' Association and ACTRA were blindsided by a press release issued by the Canadian Opera Company which incorrectly and unfairly characterized the discussions the three associations have been having with the COC with respect to broadcasts on the CBC this season (http://files.coc.ca/images/about/hi-res/PRESS-RELEASE-11-12/COC-Radio-Broadcasts-FINAL.pdf).

"We had already all agreed to a significant reduction from the appropriately negotiated rates in order to facilitate these broadcasts in the past and then we received a letter from Alexander Neef asking for a further reduction of 1/3 on the already reduced rates. After much discussion amongst ourselves and consultation with our respective memberships, we were unable to agree to drop the fees that low" says Canadian Actors' Equity Executive Director, Arden R. Ryshpan.

"The reductions requested by the COC were unacceptable for the members of the orchestra" says Jim Biros, Executive Director of the Toronto Musicians Association. "We have gone as far as we can go to accommodate the demands of the COC but this last request just went too far. We are all sorry that the financial model for these broadcasts doesn't work but it isn't incumbent on our members to make it work. "

Sue Milling, Director of Independent and Broadcast Production for ACTRA commented "We were shocked to see this press release in our in-boxes this morning. Although the outcome was not what the COC was hoping for, it is unusual for an engager to act so aggressively particularly when the discussions have always been conducted in a respectful manner."

Canadian Actors' Equity Association represents performers, stage managers, directors, choreographers, and fight directors working at the Canadian Opera Company. The Toronto Musicians' Association represents the members of the Canadian Opera Company Orchestra.  ACTRA represents performers, including singers, working in the recorded media.
Canadian Actors' Equity Association
44 Victoria Street, 12th floor
Toronto, ON  M5C 3C4
tel: 416-867-9165