EQUIFLASH [EQUITY AND ACTRA MOVE TO PROTECT CHILD PERFORMERS IN ONTARIO]

CAEA e-drive caea-l at list.web.net
Wed May 15 14:15:15 EDT 2013

--------------------------------
EQUITY AND ACTRA MOVE TO PROTECT CHILD PERFORMERS IN ONTARIO
--------------------------------
Equity supports on a new bill on child performer protections in the entertainment industries tabled in the Ontario legislature earlier today.

NDP MPP Paul Miller (Hamilton East-Stoney Creek) will introduce his Private Member's Bill, the Protecting Child Performers Act, 2013.  Miller's Bill will provide clear rules on how child performers must be treated, protected and supported when performing in recorded or live entertainment.

"I am very thankful that ACTRA and Canadian Actors' Equity were so involved in this process and that we have a Bill that will formalize enhanced standards of care for child performers," said Miller. "It is their commitment that has driven this whole issue."

"This legislation is long over-due," said ACTRA Toronto President David Sparrow. "We look forward to all-party support in this protection of vulnerable children in Ontario's performing arts."

Arden R. Ryshpan, Executive Director of Equity said, "We can, and must, do better to protect children who are at risk of exploitation in the entertainment industry workplace."

Along with David Sparrow, ACTRA Child Performer Advocates Theresa Tova and Tabby Johnson will be in the Legislature this afternoon to support the Bill.

Equity is the voice of professional artists working in live performance in English Canada. It is a national artists' association representing almost 6,000 performers, directors, choreographers, fight directors and stage managers working in theatre, opera and dance from coast to coast.

Canadian Actors' Equity Association
44 Victoria Street, 12th floor
Toronto, ON  M5C 3C4
tel: 416-867-9165