ANNOUNCEMENT ON BEHALF OF EQUITY COUNCIL - NOTICE OF BYLAW CHANGES

CAEA e-drive caea-l at list.web.net
Tue Nov 5 09:41:03 EST 2013

---------------------------
ANNOUNCEMENT ON BEHALF OF EQUITY COUNCIL - NOTICE OF BYLAW CHANGES
---------------------------

Members for whom we have an email address on file will now receive electronic notice of bylaw changes (i.e. this email), and the notice will be simultaneously posted on Equity's website (EQUITYONLINE). The published version of the bylaws will be brought up to date at the same time. Printed notice will also be sent out with the next available dues mailing, to catch anyone we did not reach electronically.

Equity's Council encourages all members to be familiar with the rules that govern our Association. Electronic copies of the current bylaws are always available in the Document Library section of EQUITYONLINE (Link: http://www.caea.com/EquityWeb/EquityLibrary/Publications/ConstitutionandBylaws.pdf), and are available in printed format upon request to either Association office.

At its meeting of September 23, 2013, Council made the following changes to bylaws:

Article 1(vi): defines membership in good standing. The definition has been amended to make it clearer that a member who has dues owing remains in good standing up until the point of being in arrears (dues remaining unpaid three months after the invoice date).

Article 123: sets out terms for eligibility to vote in elections, and to hold elected office. The article has been simplified so that it refers to the good standing definition, instead of rehashing it, and clarifies that eligibility is determined at the time of enumeration. This last point addresses the fact that voting dates and the dues billing cycle do not always align.

Article 135: addresses challenges to voting results. The article has been amended so that the ability to challenge also extends to elections. Previously, it only applied to referenda.

Article 144: deals with providing notice of bylaw amendments to the membership. The original dated from a time when we had 10 newsletters per year, and no electronic communications. The timeline for initial notice is still the same (45 days), however it now combines printed and electronic notification.

For further information or for copies of Equity's Constitution and Bylaws, please consult EQUITYONLINE (www.caea.com) or call Equity's National Office.

Canadian Actors' Equity Association
44 Victoria Street, 12th floor
Toronto, ON   M5C 3C4