EQUIFLASH [EQUITY IN THEATRE (EIT) RELEASES RESEARCH STUDY]

CAEA e-drive caea-l at list.web.net
Wed Apr 29 14:34:07 EDT 2015

---------------------------
EQUITY IN THEATRE (EIT) RELEASES RESEARCH STUDY
---------------------------

Equity in Theatre (EIT) released its research study, Achieving Equity in
Canadian Theatre: A Report with Best Practice Recommendations, by Dr.
Michelle MacArthur at Monday's day-long Symposium event held in Toronto,
ON.

Playwrights Guild of Canada, in partnership with Canadian Actors' Equity
Association and some of the arts industry's most vital organizations
launched EIT in early 2014. EIT is a multi-pronged and multi-stakeholder
initiative designed to help redress and rectify existent gender
inequities in the theatre industry.

EIT engaged Dr. Michelle MacArthur to generate a preparatory research
study, the purpose of which is two-fold: i) to provide an update on the
current status of women in Canadian theatre; and, ii) to analyze past
equity initiatives and related follow-up actions at home and abroad, in
theatre and elsewhere, culminating in a series of "best practice"
recommendations. The idea with this is to ensure that we do not repeat
past mistakes or waste time reinventing the wheel, but rather that we
capitalize on successful gains and maximize our impact.

The report's findings will serve as a foundational framework for EIT as
it moves forward, and help point the way toward possible future actions.
It is our hope that the EIT report will serve as a source of
inspiration, and act as a catalyst for change, for individuals and
institutions, in the theatre sector and beyond.

Are you wondering how women fare in the current climate, and what can be
done to help improve the situation? Check out the EIT report to find
out! You can view the study in its entirety, or peruse a four-page
Executive Summary with Study Highlights, by visiting the EIT website at:
http://www.eit.playwrightsguild.ca/achieving-equity-canadian-theatre.

With this report, and a new online presence, EIT will continue to foster
dialogue on an (inter)national scale, develop social actions that will
help effect change, and generate greater awareness of and exposure to
Canadian women in theatre. To find out more, visit the EIT website

communications at caea.com