EQUIFLASH [ACTRA AND EQUITY EXPLORE CLOSER TIES]

CAEA e-drive caea-l at list.web.net
Thu Jul 9 16:36:23 EDT 2015

---------------------
ACTRA AND EQUITY EXPLORE CLOSER TIES
---------------------
ACTRA and Equity have begun preliminary discussions in a small Joint
Committee of our respective Councillors on the possibility of a closer
organizational relationship. The first discussion the Joint Committee
undertook was to revisit and update our longstanding reciprocal agreement.
As you know, this work was completed, and the new, modernized and
streamlined ACTRA & Equity Reciprocal Agreement was announced to our
respective memberships last January. Joint Committee discussion has now
turned to a broad-ranging assessment of all aspects of the idea of a
closer working relationship between ACTRA and Equity, including a review
of organizational and industry differences and similarities. We are also
actively looking at our various sister organizations in Canada and around
the world - like Equity UK, MEAA in Australia; and Union des Artistes - to
examine those models of combined theatrical and media organizations, and
learn from both their successes and failures. All Joint Committee
discussion is still in the very beginning stages, and no
decisions or commitments have been made.

In the end, the guiding principle of our discussions will be to ensure
real benefit for the members of both organizations. We'll keep you abreast
of our discussions as we go along. Decisions leading to an enhanced
relationship would only be undertaken through consultation with our
respective memberships and both elected National Councils. If the idea of
combining our organizations proves to be worthy and an agreed plan is
approved by our respective National Councils, the decision would be put to
a binding referendum of our respective memberships.

ACTRA and Equity have long had a productive collegial alliance; this Joint
Committee discussion is an opportunity to potentially take that
relationship to the next level.
---------------------
Equity is committed to regular communication with its membership as
discussions about a closer organizational relationship continue. In the
meantime, if you have any questions, suggestions, concerns or ideas,
please feel free to email us: jointcommittee at caea.com
------------------------------------
Canadian Actors' Equity Association
44 Victoria Street, 12th floor
Toronto, ON M5C 3C4
communications at caea.com

The foregoing communication is intended only for the use of the individual
or individuals named above and should not be read by or delivered to any
other person. Such communication may contain information which is
privileged, confidential or otherwise exempt from disclosure. Any
collection, use, disclosure, forwarding or copying of this communication is
strictly prohibited. If you have received this information in error, please
accept our apology and immediately return the communication to the sender
by electronic mail and destroy the message.

See also Equity's Privacy Policy available at
http://www.caea.com/EquityWeb/Security/Privacy.aspx