EQUIFLASH [ADVOCACY ALERT: FEDERAL ELECTION 2015 - LET'S VOTE ART'S AND CULTURE]

CAEA e-drive caea-l at list.web.net
Sat Oct 17 16:19:19 EDT 2015

-----------------------
ADVOCACY ALERT: FEDERAL ELECTION 2015 - LET'S VOTE ART'S AND CULTURE
-----------------------
A message from Council President Allan Teichman and Executive Director
Arden R. Ryshpan

The last nine years have not been good for the arts and culture sector.
Cuts have been made to almost every federal arts funding program. Despite
the role our sector plays in the Canadian economy, the concerns of the
arts community have not been heard by the current government. On Monday,
you have an opportunity to express your opinion on how well they have
represented you and your needs.

Equity has been active throughout this election campaign. We have provided
our members with information about federal issues of concern, access to
media coverage on arts and culture issues and pertinent editorial
commentary. We have distributed over 17,000 of our "I Vote Arts & Culture"
buttons to every major theatre company in the country, thousands of our
members, and hundreds of our colleagues working in arts organizations.
Equity's "The Issues are Black or White" poster cites facts and figures
about the value of arts and culture in our economy and in our society.

There were many important issues at play in this election. However, arts
and culture were not prominent in the political debate. But that doesn't
mean that the parties have completely ignored us. Every party has an arts
and culture plank in their platform. You can read all of the platforms on
our website at
[http://www.caea.com/Equityweb/NewsAndEvents/News/2015/federal-election/De
fault.aspx]. It won't take you long to realize that not all of the parties
have pledged a strong commitment of support.

In the remaining days before Monday, October 19, you will be inundated
with information from across the political spectrum as candidates make a
final attempt to woo your vote. We encourage all members to spend time
reviewing our online election coverage and read the party platforms before
you make your decision.

We urge you to share the facts and figures about the importance of our
community with your friends, family and neighbours. Encourage them to
consider the impact of their choices on you as an artist, and what arts
and culture bring to our society. Arts and culture are so ubiquitous that
people often take them for granted and forget that there are talented,
hard working people behind theatre, opera, ballet, and all other forms of
creation that bring them so much pleasure.

As artists, we are immensely proud of our contribution to our country,
both economically and philosophically. We want to see our sector remain
strong and vibrant. Strength in the arts affects not just our jobs but
also the quality of life for all Canadians.

This time, the issues are black or white. Vote Arts & Culture.

Allan & Arden
Council President Allan Teichman & Executive Director Arden R. Ryshpan
----------------
FEDERAL ELECTION 2015 - ADVOCACY OUTREACH
Information on the federal election is available at:
http://www.caea.com/Equityweb/NewsAndEvents/News/2015/federal-election/Def
ault.aspx
----------------
Canadian Actors' Equity Association
44 Victoria Street, 12th floor
Toronto, ON  M5C 3C4
communications at caea.com

The foregoing communication is intended only for the use of the individual
or individuals named above and should not be read by or delivered to any
other person. Such communication may contain information which is
privileged, confidential or otherwise exempt from disclosure. Any
collection, use, disclosure, forwarding or copying of this communication is
strictly prohibited. If you have received this information in error, please
accept our apology and immediately return the communication to the sender
by electronic mail and destroy the message.

See also Equity's Privacy Policy available at
http://www.caea.com/EquityWeb/Security/Privacy.aspx