EQUIFLASH [ADVOCACY ALERT: EQUITY SPEAKS OUT ON 2015 FEDERAL ELECTION]

CAEA e-drive caea-l at list.web.net
Tue Sep 29 17:07:25 EDT 2015

----------------
ADVOCACY ALERT: EQUITY SPEAKS OUT ON 2015 FEDERAL ELECTION
----------------

A message from Council President Allan Teichman and Executive Director
Arden R. Ryshpan

Dear Equity colleagues:

In the last 9 years, the arts and culture community has experienced
nothing but cuts to various programs. From $13.9 million in touring and
export programs through ProMart and TradeRoutes to $115 million from the
CBC, the current administration has shown a lack of understanding of the
role that arts and culture play in our economy and, more importantly, how
we shape and reflect our society to ourselves and others. Libraries,
Telefilm Canada, The National Film Board of Canada, even the Department of
Heritage have all seen drastic reductions in their budgets.

The situation is now critical. Arts and culture voters face a black or
white voting choice in the 2015 election. This time Equity is asking its
members to vote for change. We don't support any party or any platform,
except what is good for the live performance community. Clearly, this
government is not good for our industry.

Over the coming weeks, Equity is going to provide you with some tools you
can use throughout the election. We will be giving you information on the
configuration of the new ridings, along with information about the
re-configuration that affects almost 70% of all the ridings in the
country. These wholesale changes have the potential to shift the political
landscape.  We are preparing a series of pointed questions you can ask
candidates when they come to your door or when you attend an
all-candidates meeting. There will also be information available about the
various actions taken by the Harper Government that have had a negative
impact on our sector.

The next issue of "EQ" is already in the mail. In it you will receive an
election button saying I VOTE ARTS & CULTURE, along with a THE ISSUES ARE
BLACK OR WHITE poster to mount in your window or put up on a rehearsal or
theatre call board. As the campaign progresses, we will continue to update
the election page on Equity's website (www.caea.com) with independent
analyses provided by Summa Strategies and others as well as the major
parties positions on issues affecting arts and culture. To date only the
Liberal Party and the Green Party have released detailed cultural
platforms.

We urge you to make an informed decision. The arts have been dismissed as
unimportant by the current government and it is only by making our voices
heard that we can bring about change. Speak to your friends, your family
and your neighbours. Make sure they understand the importance of the arts
and culture sector to the economic and social health of this country. Make
sure they understand what the lack of support to the arts means to you, as
a working artist.

The outcome of this election will have a serious impact on us for years to
come. Let's make sure that the impact is positive and not more of the same
destructive cuts.

This time it's black or white. Vote Arts & Culture.
----------------
FEDERAL ELECTION 2015 - ADVOCACY OUTREACH
More information on the federal election is available at:
http://www.caea.com/Equityweb/NewsAndEvents/News/2015/federal-election/Def
ault.aspx
----------------
Canadian Actors' Equity Association
44 Victoria Street, 12th floor
Toronto, ON  M5C 3C4
communications at caea.com

The foregoing communication is intended only for the use of the individual
or individuals named above and should not be read by or delivered to any
other person. Such communication may contain information which is
privileged, confidential or otherwise exempt from disclosure. Any
collection, use, disclosure, forwarding or copying of this communication is
strictly prohibited. If you have received this information in error, please
accept our apology and immediately return the communication to the sender
by electronic mail and destroy the message.

See also Equity's Privacy Policy available at
http://www.caea.com/EquityWeb/Security/Privacy.aspx