EQUIFLASH [EQUITY'S Not in OUR Space! CAMPAIGN & PILOT PROJECT LAUNCHES]

CAEA e-drive caea-l at list.web.net
Tue Feb 28 18:06:40 EST 2017

---------------
EQUITY'S Not in OUR Space! CAMPAIGN & PILOT PROJECT LAUNCHES
---------------
Equity launched its innovative Not in OUR Space! campaign
(http://bit.ly/2l8w9c6) at last evening's National Annual General Meeting in
Toronto. The Association is proud to support a global cultural shift taking
place in live performance. By working in partnership with engagers our goal
is to improve working conditions for our members.

The Not in OUR Space! campaign objectives are:
• Stopping harassment before it starts
• Defining what harassment is/is not and differentiating between different
forms of harassment
• Emphasizing collective responsibility by encouraging subjects as well as
witnesses to come forward when they experience or observe harassment
• Empowering action through multiple reporting options and convenient access
to engager and Equity support networks
• Educating key support personnel

The first phase of the Not in OUR Space! campaign is a collaborative pilot
project undertaken by Equity and the Professional Association of Canadian
Theatres (PACT). General managers and artistic directors from a volunteer
group of Theatres from across Canada will designate a staff person to
jointly deliver a First Day Statement (http://bit.ly/2mBImDl) in partnership
with an Equity stage manager committing to these principles:
**We, as artists working in live performance, have a right to workspaces
free from personal harassment, sexual harassment and violence and have a
responsibility not to engage in nor condone unwelcome behaviour. PACT and
Equity are committed to the pursuit of respectful workspaces and support for
those who have experienced or witnessed toxic behaviours. We will not
tolerate nor condone behaviour that is meant to undermine the dignity or
self-esteem of an individual, or which creates an intimidating, hostile or
offensive environment. Artists and engagers must speak out against
harassment and stand together in addressing problems when they arise.**

This exciting project is the result of the hard work by Equity Council,
Equity's Safe and Respectful Workplace Task Force and Equity staff. Equity
acknowledges PACT as a founding partner of this initiative.

Equity members are encouraged to visit the Not in OUR Space! web portal on
EQUITYONLINE for more information and to download campaign materials
(http://bit.ly/2mBzxJs).

Equity members with questions about the campaign may also email
NotInOurSpace at caea.com.
-------------
communications at caea.com

The foregoing communication is intended only for the use of the individual
or individuals named above and should not be read by or delivered to any
other person. Such communication may contain information which is
privileged, confidential or otherwise exempt from disclosure. Any
collection, use, disclosure, forwarding or copying of this communication is
strictly prohibited. If you have received this information in error, please
accept our apology and immediately return the communication to the sender
by electronic mail and destroy the message.

See also Equity's Privacy Policy available at
http://www.caea.com/EquityWeb/Security/Privacy.aspx