EQUIFLASH [ONTARIO MINISTRY OF LABOUR CHANGING WORKPLACE REVIEW - FINAL REPORT RELEASED]

CAEA e-drive caea-l at list.web.net
Tue May 30 22:23:39 EDT 2017

-------------
ONTARIO MINISTRY OF LABOUR CHANGING WORKPLACE REVIEW - FINAL REPORT RELEASED
---------------
The live performance sector is composed of a transient workforce, one in
which workers perform in multiple contexts, quickly change from worksite to
worksite and constantly shift work environments.

Equity consulted extensively with the Ministry of Labour and sought feedback
from Ontario labour colleagues working in the arts sector to formulate a
response to the Special Advisor's Interim Report which it submitted on
October 14, 2016.

The Association made several recommendations based on our members' long
history with non-standard working relationships.

The Ontario government will be making a formal announcement in the coming
days about which of the recommendations it will be acting upon. A summary of
the document as well as the full final report are available here:
https://www.labour.gov.on.ca/english/about/workplace/

A significant recommendation for our sector (#159) was that an inquiry and
consultation be undertaken to examine potential changes to the laws, which
affect how personal services and labour are provided in the arts and
entertainment sectors of the economy.

The Interim Report was released about a year ago identifying a range of
options to amend the Ontario’s Labour Relations Act, 1995, and Employment
Standards Act,
2000 to better protect workers while supporting business in today’s economy
and can be found here:

https://www.labour.gov.on.ca/english/about/pdf/cwr_interim.pdf - see
pages116-117 and 126.
-----------------
Canadian Actors' Equity Association
44 Victoria Street, 12th floor
Toronto, ON  M5C 3C4
communications at caea.com

The foregoing communication is intended only for the use of the individual
or individuals named above and should not be read by or delivered to any
other person. Such communication may contain information which is
privileged, confidential or otherwise exempt from disclosure. Any
collection, use, disclosure, forwarding or copying of this communication is
strictly prohibited. If you have received this information in error, please
accept our apology and immediately return the communication to the sender
by electronic mail and destroy the message.

See also Equity's Privacy Policy available at
http://www.caea.com/EquityWeb/Security/Privacy.aspx