[CANUFNET] precedence regarding: 'nuisance-tree' removal request / resolution - Linden

SOS Trees Coalition trees at sostrees.ca
Thu Oct 19 10:39:48 EDT 2023

A few years ago a city councillor in Saskatoon tried to pass a Nuisance
Tree bylaw so that people could more easily have trees removed for many
different reasons - fruit on their sidewalks,  ugly tree,  sticky sap,
etc.  One of his residents complained that he walked through the sticky
sidewalk under the tree and then walked on his carpet and ruined it.  You
would think he would have taken his shoes off if he knew he had walked
through it!  In any case this was a 2 year battle within city council and
many reports written by parks defending the trees.  Our organization SOS
Trees Coalition also spent much time talking to councillors so that they
understood the ramifications of such a bylaw.  We had our members write
letters and we also spoke at a council meeting.  You have to be very vocal
with the help of citizens once they understand why this isn't a good idea.
Our council voted it down by a narrow margin, and the trees are
safe.........for now.

Linda Moskalyk
SOS Trees Coalition