[CANUFNET] precedence regarding: 'nuisance-tree' removal request / resolution - Linden

Elaine Ethier elaine.ethier at umontreal.ca
Thu Oct 19 12:07:45 EDT 2023

Hello,
I would suggest a similar approach I have had in 2016 in Montreal to develop a goal on maintain the tree plus identifying what is the value of its biomass in an urban area in addition to how many trees in that area contribute as much or how little.

The scientific  Biomasse analysis in accordance with the tree economics program such as Vancouver UBC biomass evaluation program can be of use for you. I have used it to demonstrate to a developer that he could not take down 36% of biomass on the land he wanted to develop, I assured him that if he maintained it to 20 to 25% he would get a permit to build on this nuns community on the Mont Royal protected area and designated heritage site, so, I think there are still options by demonstrating the true value of this Linden, it’s life expectancy, the loss versus the economics of keeping the tree, it’s contribution to the environment and to social acceptability, the city will be able to have a better understanding of what entails taking a tree down other than just the cost of cutting it down. A clear message with facts and figures should help reduce derogatory issues related to trees, public or private.

Also, the reality is we are all trying to increase planting trees contributing to a better understanding of human health in urban areas being for diminishing wind ventury  effects, reduce heat islands, breath cleaner air and improve wildlife, birds and bees we so want to protect.

Elaine Ethier
Consultante
Milieu de vie - foresterie urbaine