[CANUFNET] precedence regarding: 'nuisance-tree' removal request / resolution - Linden

Barb Rabicki barbara.rabicki at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 15:44:19 EDT 2023

Hi Dan et al,
This situation is virtually identical to citizen complaint we dealt with at
City of Burlington around 2018: boulevard linden, sap on car, tracked into
house carpets, undue hardship, yada, yada.  We denied request to remove,
and pruned repeatedly to reduce crown & mitigate situation. Council were
informed and supported our staff expertise.  The tree was of value to the
neighbourhood streetscape and provided ecological benefits to the city
hard-hit with ash tree losses due to EAB.  The resident took the City to
court; interesting trial. Resident was not successful.  City of Burlington
current staff will be able to provide more details on costs awarded to the
City, should you wish to contact them directly.
I do recall a Thunder Bay case about 2011ish where a resident made a
similar case to get a city tree removed due to tamarack needles clogging
his eavestroughs.  Former City staff may be able to provide more details on
the outcome but my recollection is staff had to remove.  The reason I raise
this here is exactly what we feared would happen in Thunder Bay:
"nuisance" tree removals are never one off's, nor are they species
specific.  While I'd refrain from letting Council know there may be
precedent in Thunder Bay, I would advise them there are cases elsewhere
where mature linden removal for similar issues was denied. Steve or Drew
will be able to provide full details.
Good luck,
Barb Rabicki
ON-1413A