[CANUFNET] precedence regarding: 'nuisance-tree' removal request / resolution - Linden

stephen at ufora.ca stephen at ufora.ca
Fri Oct 20 09:57:58 EDT 2023

Hi all.

It’s hard to have a completely black and white approach.  There are consequences both ways.

We all know of individual trees that are a real eyesore, wrong tree in the wrong place, butchered by hydro and now the poor homeowner in a $5 million dollar house has a junky tree in the front yard that they would pay any amount to replace with a large specimen of a better tree with a better future and they aren’t allowed to because of municipal laws that we are all worried will set bad precedents. The tree devalues their house just by being there and looks like crap. An embarrassment to the neighbours. This is how they see it and always will, no matter how many environmental reasons we give them.

I understand why we need to, but is there another way?  Making them pay a lot of money is one way, many won’t be willing to pay for it.

If you give municipal employees written guidelines to follow they may interpret them too loosely (mostly, they’re busy and overworked so it’s easy to rubber stamp everything and the floodgates open) or too tightly (fight hard over every instance to find a way to stop it at all costs).

And you’d need to define it very clearly – black walnut or falling acorns nuisance, no; fruit trees, yes/no depends; white pine dripping sap on cars, maybe; horribly butchered tree or completely one sided conifer standing by itself, yes.  I had a client who had the space to replace a butchered linden with a tree spaded huge maple further back on their lawn and city council said no.

As my own yard was covered in acorns in the last few weeks I understand it personally (and my wife, an avowed oak lover now thinks it was a mistake to plant the oak on a ‘small lot’ now that it’s at an age that it makes a lot of acorns. By regulating trees too tightly we make them a threat to peoples personal lives and financial security. We have created a whole generation of people who hate trees because they lose control of their property. They opt for a serviceberry or pay cash in lieu when a tree has to come out and have no tree at all to retain control over their land. This is real, not an academic discussion.

Stephen Smith

Urban Forest Associates

Urban Forestry & Ecological Restoration

www.ufora.ca