[getsmart-l] Earth Hour events at the David Dunlap Observatory, 7-9pm

Gloria Boxen gboxen at rogers.com
Fri Mar 28 12:44:17 EDT 2008

http://earthhour.org/see/265

If you are in the Richmond Hill area tomorrow night, Saturday, March 29,

CELEBRATE  'EARTH HOUR' UNDER THE BEAUTIFUL SKIES OF OUR DAVID DUNLAP OBSERVATORY AND PARKLAND!!

This promises to be an evening we will all remember warmly and  with great affection as our global family celebrates the Earth by turning off all lights and electrical appliances for one hour.  As nightfall of Saturday March 29th progresses westward across the planet, we in Richmond Hill will be celebrating not only our life-sustaining Earth, but also a very special place.

Join us as we bring Earth Hour home and gaze at the wonder of the night sky above us in all its stunning beauty from the front lawns of the Administration Building and Great Dome.

The front gate will open at  6:45pm and for those of you wishing to join us for the hour before Earth Hour, you will have several choices to help keep you informed and entertained as we lead into the 8 o'clock hour.

Dr. Tom Bolton's 7:00 pm talk, 'Light Pollution - How we stemmed the skyglow in Richmond Hill',  is filled but will be repeated at 9:00 pm.  It takes place in the main lecture room of the Administration Building. Also available are 15 minute tours of this historic building at 7 and 9 pm.   There is a $5.00 fee for the talk or tour.  Pre-register
    By  fax: sent to (905) 884-2672, directed to "attention:       DDO tours"
    By e-mail: send name, phone no. & choice to             tours at astro.utoronto.ca
    By phone: (905) 884-9562 x232. Note that the DDO is severely understaffed and therefore we can be slow to respond to phone messages.
For those of us who remain outside, guitarist Paul Snelgrove will entertain us. There will also be free nature walks, including a lantern walk, to explore the wonders and serenity of the grounds.

At Earth Hour, from 8pm to 9pm, everyone will gather on the front lawns of the Administration Building and Great Dome as the GTA turns off its lights and turns on the night sky, giving us the unique opportunity to see the milky way and a myriad of stars usually obscured to us.  Telescopes and binoculars will be set up during time and viewing through them will be on a continuous basis as soon as darkness falls until our evening comes to a close.  Sky tours will be given to any and all who want to be taken on a journey of light years in the making throughout the evening.

David Grey Eagle and his People will welcome us around a ceremonial fire on this historic evening.  Through their deep connections with Mother Earth and Father Sky, they will help us feel and experience the delight and reverence of what it means to be a member of our First Nations on this dedicated land under the comforting umbrella of the sparkling night sky.

There will no admittance into the Great Dome  unfortunately on this evening, as the telescope will be operating and collecting scientific data for research commitments.

We will have complimentary refreshments outside to keep everyone satisfied and enough wonderful camaraderie and friendship as the Dunlap Community comes together for one memborable night in Richmond Hill that will infuse this unique urban space with all the love, hope and positive energy that will help her stand proud through the coming months.

So join us tomorrow evening and for the experience of a lifetime!

 DDO Defenders Steering Committee.

Some logistics

THERE IS NO ADMISSION FEE TO THE GROUNDS AND FOR OUR MAIN EVENT

Parking on the grounds is limited to about 50 cars in the on-site parking lot. Expect the parking lot to fill up quickly.
If the lot is full you will be directed to park either in the Montessori parking lot directly across the gate or on Hillsview itself.
There is NO PARKING allowed on the OBSERVATORY DRIVEWAY.

The walk up the driveway to the front lawns will take you about 5-10 minutes.

 The Owl poster above is posted on the Global Earth Hour Website:
http://www.earthhour.org/.

Other Earth Hour events

GTA:  http://www.thestar.com/SpecialSections/EarthHour/article/350720
Hamilton: http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/343923

See also,
http://www.nowtoronto.com/lifestyle/story.cfm?content=161923
                Netizens for nature: Track your bad behaviour with online carbon watchers
http://wwf.ca/earthhour/
http://makemesustainable.com/