[getsmart-l] [Fwd: Sustainable Vaughan - "Sprawl Speaker Series"]

janet at smartgrowth.on.ca janet at smartgrowth.on.ca
Wed Jun 9 10:14:58 EDT 2010

Subject: Sustainable Vaughan - "Sprawl Speaker Series"
From:    "Heather Harding" <hharding at environmentaldefence.ca>
Date:    Tue, June 8, 2010 9:36 am
To:      "Heather Harding" <hharding at environmentaldefence.ca>

Greetings Ontario Greenbelt Alliance Members,

Sustainable Vaughan is hosting a series of talks on urban sprawl. The
first in the series occurs this Thursday, please see details below:

Sustainable Vaughan announces the first installment of The Sprawl
Speaker Series.

This public lecture series is intended to inform Vaughan citizens about
the City’s Draft Official Plan. Find out how the city intends to allow
urban sprawl to continue and what this will mean to you. Speakers offer
insight on the effects of sprawl and propose alternatives as to how our
city can become more sustainable.

The headline speaker for the inaugural talk will be Dr Faisal Moola. Dr.
Moola is Director of the David Suzuki Foundation’s Terrestrial
Conservation and Science Program. He is a practicing scientist and has
published widely in scientific journals on many topics in the areas of
wildlife biology, conservation, and environmental policy.

He has conducted research in some of Canada’s most significant
wilderness areas, such as the great northern boreal forest, the
old-growth rainforests of British Columbia, and the Acadian woodlands of
Atlantic Canada. He has also been a university lecturer, and is
currently an adjunct professor in the University of Toronto’s Faculty of
Forestry.

The talk will be held on Thursday June 10, 7pm to 9pm at the Velore
Village Community Centre, 1 Villa Royale Avenue Woodbridge. Activity
Room 4.

There is a Statutory Public Meeting on York Regions plans to expand the
white belt on June 16th at 1:30 p.m. The meeting is held in Committee
Room A, 1st Floor of the York Region Administrative Building, 17250
Yonge Street, Newmarket. You will need to register to speak at this
hearing. Please email Ghislaine Boulianne, Ghislaine.Boulianne at york.ca
<mailto:Ghislaine.Boulianne at york.ca> to do so
Read more about the regions plans at,
http://www.york.ca/NR/rdonlyres/u6hvgejlqvixqs3ntmubdnygvjfwrmgfv2yhesu6kvame2aqtfs25if3n2ojkb7jxkb4kyeh2n4y77xvk4xveq6bic/Preliminary+Urban+Land+Expansions.pdf
Sustainable Vaughan

--
Heather Harding
Environmental Defence

Environmental Defence protects the environment and human health. We
research solutions. We educate. We go to court when we have to. All in
order to ensure clean air, clean water and thriving ecosystems nationwide,
and to bring a halt to Canada’s contribution to climate change.