Toronto Greenspiration Events - climate, films, wksps.

angela bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Tue Sep 30 17:58:58 EDT 2008

Toronto Greenspirational Events

I ordered 10 “Taking Action on Climate Change” election lawn signs from
<http://www.vtacc.org/>www.vtacc.org and I can only use one. So if you'd
like me to drop one off at your home, please email me <greenspi at web.ca>

 Environment Week at the University of Toronto: this week
Presented by University of Toronto Environmental Resource Network

*Film Showings
*Discussions
*Workshops

VISIT: <http://www.utern.sa.utoronto.ca>www.utern.sa.utoronto.ca for the
FULL SCHEDULE

Activist Video Training

Friday, October 3, 2008
10 am - 1 pm
Centre for Social Innovation
4th floor, 215 Spadina Avenue
Toronto
Free

• creating videos: camera training and production
• showing you how you can distribute your videos across the web, including
using Mogulus, a free webtv software used by rabbletv and other
independent news organizations
• discussing video as a tool for independent media and for social change

At noon you can be part of a trial run Speakers Corner action on a busy
intersection asking passersby "what is missing in the media?" in
preparation for Toronto's Media Democracy Day. Participants can also
participate in filming the workshops on Friday October 23 on Media
Democracy Day.

This workshop is part of the training for Toronto's Media Democracy Day on
Thursday, Oct. 23 at the International Student Centre. For details please
visit: http://missinginthemedia.ca

Wayne MacPhail is conducting the video training workshop. Wayne is the
director of Emerging Media at rabble.ca, and owner of W8nc.

If you do have video equipment please bring it to the workshop.

Supported by GSU Student Justice Committee
UTERN, Students Against Climate Change

John McMurtry 9:05  - 9:45

Environmental Racism and Climate Change:
Judith Deutsch  9:00 Opening Remarks
Ben Powless  9:45-10:20
Cheryl Teelucksingh  10:20 -  10:35

Panel:  Climate Change and Society
Paul Hamel  10:35 -10:50
Greg Albo   10:50 – 11:10
Jim Stanford     11:10-11:30
Leslie Jermyn 11:30 -11:45
Shelley Melanson 11:45 -12:00

Lunch   12:00
Workshops: 12:45 – 1:30
1. The university – Leslie Jermyn, Shelley Melanson, John Valleau
Climate camp
2.  Environmental racism: Powless, Teelucksingh, Hamel
3. Transforming society: McMurtry, Stanford, Albo

Moderator:  Sarah Wakefield
Danny Harvey   1:30 – 2:15
Stuart Trew 2:15 -2:35   Water
Tony Weis 2:35-2:55  Food
Break
3:10 -4:15 Panel:   legal, political, and practical directions of reducing
our footprint  Scott Prudham, Doug MacDonald, Theresa McClenghan, Albert
Koehl
Break
4:15  – 5:15 Panel:  The Tar Sands, the nuclear chain, political action:
  Dave Martin, Shawn Patrick Stensil, Dorothy Goldin Rosenberg

Theatre / entertainment, free food and a resource kit will be provided.

See the Facebook event site:
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=33915290148

Part of University of Toronto Environment Week (see
http://utern.sa.utoronto.ca/).

For more info or to volunteer contact:  climate-change at hotmail.com
or call 647-342-7995

STREET TAKEOVER
Saturday, October 4
Noon
Pigeon Park (Gerrard and Parliament)
Free Meal

Streets to Homes has shipped people out of the downtown into the far
corners of the city and left people to fend for themselves with almost no
money, support or resources. At the same time, the City has been gutting
shelter beds, meals, drop-ins and attacking people on the street. This is
part of a bigger campaign to try to kick poor people out of the
neighbourhoods that we have lived in for years to make room for rich condo
dwellers and other yuppies.

The City has used the cops to harass people, laying over 10,000 tickets
last year alone. They encourage residents and business associations to
target poor people and the places that we congregate. Streets to Homes has
helped to legitimize the displacement of poor people by telling the public
that people are being housed. But people aren’t being housed - they are
being abandoned. Many of the units people are stuck in do not meet basic
legal standards for repair and are far away from meals and services.

On October 4th, Nuit Blanche events will create space for artists to take
over parts of the City. Over a million dollars is being dropped on this
one night by the City and the Province while people go hungry on our
streets.

On October 4th, poor people in the downtown east end and our supporters
will take over the street to celebrate the fact that we have not been and
will not be pushed out of the neighbourhood.

The Sunshine Walk - Canada Walks for Climate Justice - Re-Imagine Our World

Toronto to Ottawa, Ontario
Oct 4 - 20, 2008

Launch -- SATURDAY, OCTOBER 4, 2008
12:00 (noon) to 1:00pm
Queen's Park, Toronto
Subway: Queen's Park (University & College)

Every hour, the sun beams as much energy at the earth as
humanity collectively uses in a year. All we have to do is
harness it. Truly sustainable energy sources - solar, wind,
geothermal and marine power - exist all around us. We don't
need to rely on oil, gas and nuclear. A better world is necessary
and possible -- we must inspire our government to ensure that
it's just and sustainable.

It's time Canada worked toward facilitating a global shift to
alternatives. And it's time Canada played a leadership role in influencing
other G8
nations to embrace clean energy.

This October 4, a group of like-minded people will begin a walk
with friends from Toronto to Ottawa to deliver our message, and
yours, on climate change solutions. Please join us - share your
vision of the best solutions or what you or people in your
community are already doing to make the shift away from dirty
energy.

We'll visit many towns and meet many friends along the way
in places such as Pickering, Darlington, Oshawa, Port Hope,
Cobourg, Trenton, Belleville, Napanee, Kingston, Godfrey,
Sharbot Lake, Perth, Carleton Place and Ottawa.

Come out at the beginning of the walk, the end, somewhere in
between or for the whole thing - share your clean, green
solutions with us in a letter or picture & we'll deliver them
to our new government in Ottawa on October 20.

For dates, stops along the way and other details, please visit
<http://sunshinewalk08.blogspot.com>http://sunshinewalk08.blogspot.com or
<http://www.torontoclimatecampaign.org/sunshinewalk>http://www.torontoclimatecampaign.org/sunshinewalk
If you don't find the answers you need there, email:
<mailto:info.sunshinewalk%40gmail.com>info.sunshinewalk at gmail.com.

Join us in Toronto on October 4 - Rain or Shine.
<http://science.nationalgeographic.com/science/environment/alternativeenergy/solar-power-profile.html>http://science.nationalgeographic.com/science/environment/alternativeenergy/solar-power-profile.html

Please watch the documentary by Journalist Afsan Chowdhury
"Does Anybody Care if Bangladesh Drowns?":
<http://www.youtube.com/user/afsan2008>http://www.youtube.com/user/afsan2008

Organized by the Sunshine Walk Committee and supported by
Drishtipat Canada (DP Canada); Young Bangladeshi Canadian
Professionals (YBCP); Greenpeace; United Steelworkers; the
Canadian Federation of Students; the Council of Canadians;
Climate Action Network; David Suzuki Foundation and other
faith and multi-cultural groups, ENGO's, First Nations, Human
Rights Organizations and Teachers and Student groups.

Rita Bijons
<mailto:info.sunshinewalk%40gmail.com>info.sunshinewalk at gmail.com
(416) 766 6331
<http://sunshinewalk08.blogspot.com>http://sunshinewalk08.blogspot.com
<http://www.torontoclimatecampaign.org/sunshinewalk>http://www.torontoclimatecampaign.org/sunshinewalk

Wed. Oct. 8
~ 6:30 - 8:15 pm -~ Interactive Introduction
~ 8:25 - 9:15 pm -~ Discussion about how Transformative Communication
supports social activism

Young or old, timid or bold - Clarify needs and choices,~ resolve
conflicts and solve problems with a simple, fun, hands-on, transformative
process all ages can use.

Around the world, people are using Transformative Communication to support
everyday peacemaking, empowerment, conflict transformation, healing and
more. Developed by Marshall Rosenberg, Transformative Communication (also
known as Nonviolent Communication - NVC) is practiced in 37 countries in a
variety of settings including family, workplace, activism, social service,
education, mediation, prison, and government.~

To learn more visit
<http://www.nonviolentcommunication.com/aboutnvc/aboutnvc.htm>www.nonviolentcommunication.com/aboutnvc/aboutnvc.htm

For more about this process applied to social~action see:
<http://www.cnvc.org/en/what-nvc/articles-writings/no-enemies-no-demands/no-enemies-no-demands>http://www.cnvc.org/en/what-nvc/articles-writings/no-enemies-no-demands/no-enemies-no-demands
<http://www.facilitatechange.org/sites/default/files/Working%20for%20Peace%20Without%20Recreating%20War.pdf>http://www.facilitatechange.org/sites/default/files/Working%20for%20Peace%20Without%20Recreating%20War.pdf

For more Info: Henry ~ 416-913-8861~ wai_renooy at sympatico.ca

Wednesday, October 8,
9:00 AM - 4:30 PM
The Vivian and David Campbell Conference Facility, MCIS

How the Oil Sands Got to the Great Lakes Basin:
Pipelines, Refineries and Emissions to Air and Water

Sponsored by Program on Water Issues

Munk Centre for International Studies
1 Devonshire Place, University of Toronto
http://webapp.mcis.utoronto.ca/EventDetails.aspx?eventid=6600

Who's Got The Power? films and discussion

Wednesday, October 8, 7 pm - 9 pm, drop in but please RSVP
The Store Front on Bloor, 957 Bloor St W,
<http://www.thestorefrontcommunity.com/>www.TheStoreFrontCommunity.com
Cost: $10 suggested donation goes to support costs and The StoreFront, but
please RSVP <anarreshealth at gmail.com>

Who's Got thePower?
Delving deeply into the issues we are facing today with the present system
of coal, oil and natural gas powering the world's energy needs, this
powerful documentary examines the alternatives. Solar, wind and
hydrothermal power are not only viable in today's world, they are quickly
becoming absolutely necessary in our overheated environment. See how small
homeowners and large builders alike are turning to solar to cut costs and
get green.
45 minutes in English. Produced by Casey Coates Danson.

Suncookers
This emotion-stirring, hopeful documentary demonstrates how a simple
technology and a few committed, organized people can bring about profound
social transformation. The daily need for cooking wood in Africa is
decimating forests. The film introduces suncookers: a solar device that
uses the sun's free energy to cook and pasteurize drinking water. Margaret
Owina is bringing these suncookers to villages and refugee camps in Kenya,
offering an instant solution to a land ready and willing to adapt to a
changing world.
18 minutes in English. Directed by Catharine Scott.

The film presentation will be followed by a discussion with local
renewable energy activists and political candidates in the Federal
election. All local candidates will be invited to participate.

Save money.  Live Green.  Buy Local.  Now for less!

The Little Green Book of Big Savings is Toronto's coupon and resource book
for green living.  It contains over $4,000 in freebies and savings from
locally owned restaurants, businesses and service providers plus tips and
resources that will inspire and empower you to reduce your environmental
footprint.  Savings cover food & dining, green retail, art &
entertainment, and health & well being.  Part of the proceeds go to
non-profit environmental organizations and local businesses.  New reduced
online price.  For more information visit
<http://www.TheLittleGreenBook.ca>www.TheLittleGreenBook.ca

Eulogies for Tooker and Stories for a
healthy mind, body and planet
http://www.greenspiration.org
Join our email list by emailing us at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell us what city/country you live in