Greenspiration News: grassroots movements growing

Bischoff Angela greenspi at web.ca
Tue Jan 12 00:03:49 EST 2010

Greenspiration News

- What we have seen emerge in Copenhagen is a multi-generational
coming together of the global justice movement with the environmental
movement that is the most profound challenge to the status quo since
the 60s. - Judy Rebick

- The WHO’s “false pandemic” H1N1 flu campaign is “one of the greatest
medicine scandals of the century.” - Dr Wolfgang Wodarg, chairman the
PACE Health Committee

Grassroots movement to defend democracy against Harper building fast

Growing public opposition to Harper shutting down Parliament is being
felt at every level of Canadian society.  Whatever you are doing,
whatever your issue, however cynical you may be about electoral
politics,  please join this profound grassroots rebellion against
Stephen Harper's assault on democracy.

The Facebook groups opposing the proroguing have well over 85,000
members now, and there are rallies being planned across the country
for Jan 23.  If you are not on Facebook you can go to Citizens for
Democracy and see all the events as well as several videos, and sign a
petition too.  A la 350.org, if your town is not included on the
growing list of rallies then add it and let the organizers know by
posting it on one of their pages.  In the meantime, or if rallies are
not your thing, write your MP or vote in one of the many online media
polls about the questions, all of which so far are running at least 8
to 1 against proroguing.

http://www.rabble.ca/blogs/bloggers/judes/2010/01/grassroots-movement-defend-democracy-against-harper-building-fast
http://citizensfordemocracy.ca/

Bolivia: We Must Support a Universal Declaration of the Rights of
Mother Earth

In 1948, when the Universal Declaration of Human Rights was
proclaimed, it was a declaration of hope into a post-war world. It had
no legal basis as a document. Sixty years on the declaration has been
incorporated into the laws of many countries and been the basis for
the International Criminal Court. Facing a crisis far worse than any
world war, might it not be time for humanity to launch a new
declaration, one that defends our planet and its biodiversity from
ever-continuing extinction?

http://boliviarising.blogspot.com/2009/12/bolivia-we-must-support-universal.html

Canadian Military Spending 2009

A new report shows that Canada’s rising National Defence spending is
$21.185 billion in 2009-2010, making Canada’s rank 13th highest in the
world, and 6th highest among NATO’s 28 members, dollar for dollar.

Defence analyst and author Bill Robinson says the rise in defence
spending is an indication of the government’s priorities. “Government
spending on National Defence is twenty times that of federal
Environment Department spending,” said Robinson. “By comparison, the
Department of the Environment was allocated only $1.064 billion.”

http://www.policyalternatives.ca/publications/reports/canadian-military-spending-2009

Was Swine Flu A False Pandemic?

That’s the contention by more than a dozen members of the
Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe, which reportedly
plans to conduct an inquiry into the influence that drugmakers may
have had on the World Health Organization, scientists and governments.

http://www.pharmalot.com/2010/01/was-swine-flu-a-false-pandemic/?utm_source=feedburne

EU to probe pharma over “false pandemic

“in order to promote their patented drugs and vaccines against flu,
pharmaceutical companies influenced scientists and official agencies
responsible for public health standards to alarm governments worldwide
and make them squander tight health resources for inefficient vaccine
strategies, and needlessly expose millions of healthy people to the
risk of an unknown amount of side-effects of insufficiently tested
vaccines.”

The WHO’s “false pandemic” flu campaign is “one of the greatest
medicine scandals of the century.”

http://www.pharmatimes.com/WorldNews/article.aspx?id=17147

Amazing Speech by War Veteran

5 minute you-tube video

Our real enemies are not those living in a distant land whose names or
policies we don't understand; The real enemy is a system that wages
war when it's profitable, the CEOs who lay us off our jobs when it's
profitable, the Insurance Companies who deny us Health care when it's
profitable, the Banks who take away our homes when it's profitable.
Our enemies are not several hundred thousands away. They are right
here in front of us  - Mike Prysner

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akm3nYN8aG8&feature=email

Mexico's anti-NAFTA rebels haven't gone away

the Zapatistas and their many supporters have managed to create more
than 30 autonomous municipalities, establishing health clinics, more
than 60 schools, and fair trade coffee co-operatives, along with
participatory rather than representative government, which they
distrust.

http://www.rabble.ca/news/2010/01/mexicos-anti-nafta-rebels-havent-gone-away

Popular Drugs May Help Only Severe Depression

Some widely prescribed drugs for depression provide relief in extreme
cases but are no more effective than placebo pills for most patients,
according to a new analysis released Tuesday. For some people, too,
the drugs’ side effects may cancel any benefit.
“The message for patients with mild to moderate depression,” Dr.
DeRubeis said, “is, ‘Look, medications are always an option, but
there’s little evidence that they add to other efforts to shake the
depression — whether it’s exercise, seeing the doctor, reading about
the disorder or going for psychotherapy.’ ”

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/06/health/views/06depress.html

Seeking Motivated Bike Tour Members

Teams of a dozen or more motivated and energetic young people, aged 18
to 30, will set off on cycling and performing tours in 2010. You can
be one of them!

Combine sustainable living, community building, theatre, leadership
training and phenomenal bicycle touring on an Otesha Project<http://www.otesha.ca/the+project/index.en.html
 > bike tour.
Check out this video <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KANMTnhNQvQ> to
see what going on tour is like.

As a tour member you will share an incredible experience as you live
in a mobile sustainable community. You will cycle from performance to
performance, connect with communities along the route, brave the
elements, and explore all the ups and downs of directly addressing
environmental and social justice issues through your every day
actions. You will use theatre as a tool for education and world
changing. No bike touring or other experience is necessary, just a
willingness to give it your all.

This year we are offering three tours departing from three different
cities across Canada: *Vancouver**, Ottawa and Fredericton*. Check out
the tours that are offered HERE. <http://www.otesha.ca/bike+tours/index.en.html

Apply now - first applied first considered. Applications due by *March
15, 2010*. Email applications at otesha.ca or check out
http://www.otesha.ca/bike+tours/index.en.html for more about the
application process.

The Otesha Project is a national youth-run charitable organization
created in 2002. We use theatre to mobilize young people to create
local and global change through their everyday consumer choices. To
date, we have reached over 100,000 Canadians directly with our theatre
presentations and workshops that inspire youth to re-evaluate their
daily consumer choices to reflect the kind of world they want to live
in.*

Top CEOs still raking it in

The total average compensation for Canada's 100 highest paid CEOs was
$7,300,884 in 2008—a stark contrast from the total average Canadian
income of $42,305. They pocketed what takes Canadians earning an
average income an entire year to make by 1:06 pm January 4—the first
working day of the year.

http://www.policyalternatives.ca/newsroom/updates/top-ceos-still-raking-it

The Drug Mafia
5 minute video

Drug pushers... On TV and working with your doctor to keep you hooked.
You're the cash cow.

http://www.brasschecktv.com/page/771.html

Yummy! Ammonia-Treated Pink Slime Now in Most U.S. Ground Beef
According to today's New York Times, The "majority of hamburger" now
sold in the U.S. now contains fatty slaughterhouse trimmings "the
industry once relegated to pet food and cooking oil," "typically
including most of the material from the outer surfaces of the carcass"
that contains "larger microbiological populations."

This "nasty pink slime," as one FDA microbiologist called it, is now
wrung in a centrifuge to remove the fat, and then treated withAMMONIA
to "retard spoilage," and turned into "a mashlike substance frozen
into blocks or chips".

Thus saving THREE CENTS a pound off production costs. And making the
company, Beef Products Inc., a fortune. $440 million/year in revenue.
Ain't that something?

http://www.alternet.org/story/144904/

------

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
http://www.greenspiration.org
Join our email list by emailing us at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell us what city/country you live in