Greenspiration News: food not bombs

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Sun Aug 22 14:34:23 EDT 2010

Greenspiration News

P.S. Pass this onto a friend! -a

"The corporate revolution will collapse if we refuse to buy what they are selling...their ideas, their version of history, their wars, their weapons, their notion of inevitability.  Remember this: We be many and they be few.  They need us more than we need them.  Another world is not only possible, she is on her way.  On a quiet day, I can hear her
breathing."
-Arundhati Roy

Millions Of Barrels Of Oil Safely Reach Port In Major Environmental Catastrophe
Disaster strikes as massive quantities of oil reach their intended destination.

The Onion (warning: humour)

http://www.theonion.com/articles/millions-of-barrels-of-oil-safely-reach-port-in-ma,17875/

The Emperor’s New Car
A critique of the economic and environmental value of electric cars

http://dogandlemon.com/site/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/the-emperors-new-car.pdf

First GM Plants Found in the Wild

This is the stuff of my nightmares: Genetically-modified (GM) plants escaping the confines of agriculture and invading the wild. We thought regular invasive species were bad? They seem tame compared to genetic contamination of the wild. Even more alarming: Some of the plants had a mix of modified genes, indicating that they are reproducing on their own.

http://laudyms.wordpress.com/2010/08/07/us-first-gm-plants-found-in-the-wild/

Ground the Canadian International Air Show

Sign the petition:
http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/ground-the-canadian-international-air-show.html

Call out - Members of the Public

The Real G8/G20: A Civil Society Response is Seeking Original Content.

Do you have concerns about the undemocratic and expensive G8 / G20 Summits staged around the world? Did you protest the recent G8 Summit and/or G20 Summit held in Huntsville and Toronto? Do you have something to say about global issues of social, economic and climate injustice? Were you arrested and/or detained for protesting the G20 in Toronto? Were your Charter rights violated?

If so, please consider adding your voice to the growing repository of perspectives on our website: www.therealg8g20.com. Our site provides a counter-reference through which history was made.

We are a group of Canadian cross-media activists and artists concerned about the erosion of democracy in our country. We refuse to let the mainstream media shape the story of the G8/G20. The site provides a political and artistic response to our mainstream media's failure to report the real issues that motivated thousands of people to protest the G8/G20 Summits.

We curate citizen media: video, film, photography and editorial works by artists, activists, social justice organizations and independent media. Share your experience and join the growing conversation!

http://therealg8g20.com/

Governments Spend More on Bombs, Not Food, Decades after Cold War and Atomic Bombing

http://wayneroberts.ca/archives/344

It's official. The anti-depressant made him do it.

http://www.wellbeingfoundation.com/clancy-killing.html

Taking SSRI Antidepressants During Pregnancy: Considerations and Risks

From Canadian Women's Health Network

Antidepressants are increasingly being used to treat depression in pregnancy in Canada despite their lack of approval for this use by Health Canada or the US FDA. Recent scientific and public attention has focused on an increased risk for infants, and this has led to conflicting advice about the use of SSRI/SNRI antidepressants (such as Prozac, Paxil, Effexor, or other related drugs) during pregnancy. Some suggest avoiding all exposures, while others recommend use in order to avoid harm to mothers and infants from untreated depression.
Mintzes presents what she and colleagues found in a systematic evaluation of all available studies comparing women with depression who did or did not take antidepressants during pregnancy. Their goal was to find an answer to the controversial and urgent clinical question: do pregnant women benefit from taking antidepressants?

Watch webinar here: www.cwhn.ca/en/node/41773
Factsheet here: http://www.cwhn.ca/en/node/42353

Female sexual dysfunction: Pharmaceutical sham or opportunity for empowerment?

32 min. audio interview

http://rabble.ca/podcasts/shows/f-word/2010/06/female-sexual-dysfunction

------

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
http://www.greenspiration.org
Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in