T.O. Greenspiration Events: Support Occupy Toronto

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Mon Nov 14 00:41:07 EST 2011

Toronto Greenspiration Events

Pass this onto a friend... -a

---------------------------------------

Support Occupy Toronto

The “Occupy” demonstrations are a rapidly growing movement with the shared goal of urging people to peacefully assemble and occupy public space in order to create a shared dialogue by which to address the problems and generate solutions for and economically distressed world.

Sign the petition in support of Occupy Toronto:  http://signon.org/sign/i-support-occupytoronto?source=s.fwd&r_by=1544631

Check out their website: http://occupyto.org/

And more importantly, if you can, drop by St. James Park - King and Church. Occupy Toronto is an inspiring movement and they need our support!

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Memorial Ride For Jenna Morrison

ARC & Toronto cyclists will hold a respectful public memorial in Jenna's honour:

Monday Nov. 14, 8am, Dundas and Sterling.
Or ride with us leaving from Spadina and Bloor at 7:30am
All welcome.

The ride and memorial is being organized by ARC (Advocacy For Respect For Cyclists)
ARC has held memorials for every fallen cyclist in Toronto since 1996 in order to raise the issue of safe passage on our roads for all cyclists. Our hearts go out to the family and friends of Jenna.

Funeral at 7 p.m., Bloor St. United Church, 300 Bloor St. W
https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=272090042828799

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Community Energy – More than Power

Mon.-Tues. Nov. 14-15
Toronto Metro Convention Centre

3rd Annual Community Power Conference and Power Networking Centre - Ontario's green energy future to be focus of third annual Community Power Conference. How will the Feed-in-Tariff review shape Green Energy 2.0 in Ontario?

http://cpconference.ca/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Indigenous Sovereignty Week Toronto

Daily events from Nov. 14 - 27th
Check complete schedule here: http://www.defendersoftheland.org/toronto

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Next Frontier: Engineering the Golden Age of Green

Monday, November 14, 6:30 pm
Annette Branch Library, 145 Annette St.

This one-hour documentary takes us around the world to communities that have taken initiatives to reduce their carbon foot print. By implementing innovative ideas such as solar, wind, geothermal, using water to provide power, and capturing carbon dioxide emissions to provide clean renewable energy, they demonstrate how to save the consumer money while building a sustainable environment. The future is now. These are steps toward carbon neutrality.

Free / PWYC screening and discussion.
Hosted by Green 13 and sponsored by the Annette Branch Library.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Soap Making: Customized Organic Glycerine Soap

Monday November 14, 6:30 - 8:30 pm
Grassroots Riverdale store (372 Danforth Avenue) near Chester Station

http://www.facebook.com/grassrootsenvironmentalproducts?ref=ts
Registration: call the store or drop in 1-888-633-5833

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Prosecutor
Monday, Nov. 14th, 6:30pm
Isabel Bader Theatre, 93 Charles St W, U of T

Screening of new film which follows International Criminal Court (ICC) prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo.
Moreno-Ocampo, Stephen Lewis, and director Barry Stevens will speak following the screening.
https://www.law.utoronto.ca/faculty_content.asp?itempath=1/12/0/0/0&specNews=1038&cType=NewsEvents

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Understanding the First, Second and Third World War;
General Smedley Butler was right. "War is a Racket"
Bombs are Free demolition for Bechtel and Halliburton.

with Sydney White, Investigative Journalist, Studies in Propaganda

Monday, November 14, 6-8 pm FREE
U of T, St. George Campus, Room 159, 80 St. George Street

More info call 416-787-0592

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Pray the Devil Back to Hell

Monday November 14, 5.30- 8.30 PM
Room 7-162, 7th Floor, OISE, 252 Bloor Street West (at St. George subway station)
This is a remarkable story of a group of courageous Liberian women, Christian and Muslim, who came together to end a bloody civil war and bring peace to their shattered country. Their efforts also culminated in the election of Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, Africa's first female head of state, and marked the vanguard of a new wave of women taking control of their political destiny around the world.

Leymah Gbowee, one of the leaders of the protest, and Ellen Johnson Sirleaf are both recipients of the 2012 Nobel Peace Prize.

Joining us to share her ideas and give context to the film is U of T Political Science Masters student, Korryn Bodner, who was so inspired by the efforts of the Liberian women that she has made this the focus of her studies.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Why should we grow? Making the Case for Urban Agriculture

Tuesday, November 15, 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Ryerson University Architecture Building, 325 Church Street "The Pit"

Urban agriculture makes for more socially cohesive, economically viable, and ecologically sound communities and cities. This panel discussion will explore some of the key potentials for urban farming in Toronto, including skills and jobs creation and health promotion.

Speakers

Nevin Cohen, The New School, New York
Harry Rhodes, Growing Home, Chicago
Aimee Carson, Evergreen, Toronto
Rhonda Teitel-Payne, The Stop Community Food Centre, Toronto

Organized by Live Green http://www.toronto.ca/livegreen/getinvolved_speakers_growto.htm

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

2012 Toronto Public Library Budget Community Consultation

Tuesday, November 15, 6:30 p.m.
Lillian H. Smith Branch, 239 College St (at Huron)

The Toronto Public Library system is the largest in Canada and the busiest in the world. Our library collections include publications in more than 100 languages, we are able to borrow books from other library systems across Canada, and our libraries offer employment and educational resources, public computers, and other important services that help meet the needs of our diverse communities.

Reductions to library service are currently being proposed. These cuts would include reduced open hours in branches across the city, and fewer new titles and copies of books, audio books, DVDs and magazines.

The Library Board needs to hear from you on how these cuts would impact you, your family, and your community. Please Library staff at a public meeting to find out more about the potential reductions and to provide your comments.

If you would like more information, or to fill out a survey on these changes, please click here: http://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/about-the-library/budget-2012-survey.jsp

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Racialized Peoples on Stolen Lands

Tuesday, November 15, 6:30 – 9 p.m.
Beit Zatoun, 612 Markham St. (south of Bloor, west of Bathurst)

This event will feature sharing circles on relationship building across Indigenous and other racialized communities. Everyone welcome.

Short presentations by: Seven Directions, R3 Artists’ Collective – R3, Robert Massoud, Beit Zatoun

Snacks provided. Donations accepted. Endorsed by No One Is Illegal

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Hop to it!! A public information night about Runoff Voting

Wednesday, November 16 · 6:30pm - 9:00pm
Toronto City Hall • Committee Room 1 (Queen and Bay)

Why are runoffs being used across the USA? Why are runoffs used by EVERY federal and provincial party in Canada? Why did the Academy Awards switch to runoff voting in 2010?

The Ranked Ballot Initiative proposes a small, simple change that would make Toronto's elections more fair, diverse, inclusive and friendly. Learn more! All welcome. Juice and cookies will be served.

http://www.RaBIT.ca/
https://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=288264371195797

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Photoshop 101- for Beginners
If you've always wanted to learn but couldn't afford the time or money this is your chance!
Wednesday November 16th, 7:00-9:30pm. This workshop is $5.00.
at Wise daughter's Craft Market in the Junction
3079B Dundas St. West
(facing Quebec Ave, just south of Dundas)

That's Women's Work Arts Network is a non-profit with a mandate to help women earn a living wage from their work and low cost workshops are a part of that! Usually our services for only self-identifying women, but this workshop is open to everyone above 13.  Space is limited and you'll need to bring your own laptop, or, god love ya, your own desk top computer. You'll also need to have Photoshop, any version will do as we are looking at the basics.  You must call us if you are interested in attending due to the space limitations, table space and number of chairs.
416-534-9249 if it is after biz hours please leave your name and number. You are not confirmed until we have spoken.

Via TTC: Junction bus from Dundas West Stn, Lambton bus (or 15 min. walk) from High Park Stn.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Linkages between Human Rights and Peace
with Dr. Paul Hamel

Wed. Nov. 16, 7 p.m.
Unitarian Congregation in Mississauga, 84 South Service Road
$10 or pay what you can

Past Chair, Science for Peace.  Paul Hamel is a Professor in the Faculty of Medicine at the University of Toronto. He is also the Director of the Health Studies Program at University College at the University of Toronto. In this Program, students explore the social, economic and political structures that determine the health of Canadian and global communities from a social justice perspective.  He also teaches in the area of Global Health and Human Rights.

For more info: 905-278-5622 or info at uucm.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Science in the Service of Peace: Monitoring Technologies for UN Peacekeeping

With Walter Dorn, Associate Professor of Defence Studies, Canadian Forces College and Chair, Canadian Pugwash Group. Author of Keeping Watch: Monitoring Technology and Innovation in UN Peace Operations

Thur. Nov. 17, 4-6 pm
University College, Rm. 179, U of T.
All  welcome. No charge

Co-Sponsored  by University College Health Studies Programme, Canadian Pugwash Group, Science for Peace, and Voice of Women for Peace

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Boil a Frog – film screening

Thursday Nov 17th, 7 pm
Friends House, 60 Lowther Ave. (St. George Subway station)

How to Boil a Frog is a movie about Overshoot – too many people using up too little planet, much too fast. The news media usually presents all the nasty stuff happening in the world as separate problems: global warming, energy shortages, overpopulation, poverty, deforestation, job shortages, and so on. And of course they are problems, but they’re also symptoms of this larger problem of Overshoot. The movie uses humour as it provides a new way to look at the problems as interrelated, and shows how we can respond in simple and effective ways.

Free. Sponsored by Quaker Peace and Social Action Committee.  All welcome.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Omar Khadr: The Making of a Pariah and the Unmaking of Citizenship

Thur. November 17th, noon-1:30pm
Room 7-162, OISE, 252 Bloor W.

Speaker:  Audrey Macklin, Faculty of Law, University of Toronto

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Stork, The Turkey Baster, and Other Stories:
Talking to Our Kids about Family and Where They Come From

Thur. 17 November · 6:30 - 9:30 pm
Sherbourne Health Centre, 333 Sherbourne Street

In 2010, the LGBTQ Parenting Network (Sherbourne Health Centre), in collaboration with the Children’s Aid Society of Toronto (Domestic Violence Team), launched the first event in its Up for Discussion series. The goal of this series is to provide a space for community members to explore and discuss some of the dilemmas aff...ecting LGBTQ families at all stages of family life. All forums feature key speakers, including academic, legal and local “experts,” and plenty of time for discussion amongst all who attend.

Part four of the Up For Discussion series addresses the question, “Where do I come from?” How do we talk to our kids about conception, about moms and dads, about family? What new stories do we tell to replace the age old ones that don’t fit our complex family structures? We want to hear the creative ways you’ve found to describe your family and how your family came to be!

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Women and Chemicals.ca Launch

Thursday, November 17, 6:30 – 8 p.m.
Toronto Women’s Bookstore, 73 Harbord Street
RSVP: nnewh1 at yorku.ca

Please join the National Network on Environments and Women's Health (NNEWH) in celebrating the launch of www.womenandchemicals.ca and our latest report, Sex, Gender and Chemicals: Factoring women into Canada’s chemical management plan.
In recent years, NNEWH has been working on a variety of projects related to women’s health and chemicals covering such aspects as consumer products (and the individualization of risk), occupational exposures, and chemicals management in Canada. In light of our recent and ongoing projects, NNEWH is launching a website that will bring together resources related to women and chemicals and serve as a platform for releasing new research and policy tools from NNEWH on this issue.

Light refreshments will be served.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Stand Up to Homophobic Bullying: A Panel Discussion

Thursday, November 17 · 7:00pm - 9:00pm
Best Western Primrose Hotel, Starlight Room (23rd floor), 111 Carlton

As part of Bullying Awareness Week, Planned Parenthood Toronto is hosting an educational panel event on homophobic bullying in schools. The panel discussion will address the extent and impact of the problem, how we can take action to stop it, and ways to support youth who are bullied.

Confirmed panelists include:
• Steven Solomon (Human Sexuality Program, Toronto District School Board),
• Anna Penner (Teens Educating and Confronting Homophobia, Planned Parenthood Toronto)
• Kenneth Jeffers (Gender-Based Violence Prevention Office, Toronto District School Board)
• Michael Erickson (high school teacher, Federal NDP candidate for Etobicoke-Lakeshore)
• Deb Singh (Toronto Rape Crisis Centre/Multicultural Women Against Rape)
• A representative from Egale Canada
• More speakers to be announced soon!

This event is free and open to everyone.  Who should attend? Parents, teachers, students, youth workers, health and social service providers, and community members. Anyone interested in standing up to homophobic bullying is welcome! Light refreshments will be provided.
For more information please contact Cheryl at 416.961.0113 x127 or cdobinson at ppt.on.ca
https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=162349320528866

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Toronto's Budget: Charting A New Course

Thur. Nov. 17, 7:30 p.m.
Wellesley Institute, 10 Alcorn Ave, #300 (Summerhill subway station)

Contrary to the rhetoric coming from the mayor's office, Toronto is not in the middle of a fiscal crisis and Toronto City Council still has the opportunity to make choices that will support a city-building budget: one that builds a more inclusive, more prosperous and healthier city for all. The question is, how can we get City Hall to stop the impending trainwreck--the hasty, short-sighted decisions that will effectively diminish the city and those who live in it--and pursue a better path?

Recognizing that change at City Hall doesn't happen without a change in the public conversation, this event brings together budget experts, thought leaders, on-the-ground organizers and community and civic leaders and activists to learn about and discuss the city's budget process, the options and opportunities that are available, and strategies for changing course towards the development of a city-building budget.
With:
Sheila Block: Director of Economic Analysis, Wellesley Institute
Shelley Carroll: Ward 33 City Councillor; former City of Toronto Budget Chief
Trish Hennessy: Director of Strategic Issues, Canadian Centre For Policy Alternatives

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Transition Toronto presents a FREE film screening of

Escape from Suburbia

Thur. November 17, 7:00 pm
at 519 Church Street Community Centre (at Church & Wellesley)

Escape from Suburbia chronicles the journey of three people (Kate Holloway, Philip Botwinick and Carol Steinman), as they struggle to do what they feel is best within the coming era after Peak Oil. Where The End of Suburbia was direct and brutally honest, Escape from Suburbia is a rich interplay on the subtle relationships between the potential solutions each person faces as the demand for fossil fuels outstretches supply.

We saw that our oil supply is going to be a problem, now we can see some of the options we have in dealing with that problem.
Our special guest Greg Greene, the film’s director, will be available for a Q&A after the screening. See you there!

For questions, contact: transitiontoronto at gmail.com  Info at: www.transitiontoronto.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

(Un)lawful Access Townhall

Fri. Nov. 18, 7 p.m.
99 Sudbury (Dufferin and Queen)

STOP ONLINE SPYING --DOES STEPHEN HARPER THINK ITS 1984?

How far is the Conservative government planning on going with its "Lawful Access" online snooping bill?
Think police should have access to YOUR internet and cell phone records without a warrant?

Come join the fight to stop this invasive legislation and protect our privacy rights. If enough of us speak out now the government will have no
choice but to stop this mandatory online spying scheme. Sign the petition by openmedia.ca at http://stopspying.ca/ and come out to our (Un)lawful Access Townhall Meeting!

Hosted by Andrew Cash, your MP for Davenport
With guest speakers: Ron Deibert from Citizen Lab/Canada Centre, UofT, Steve Anderson from openmedia.ca, MP Charlie Angus and Jesse Hirsh, President, Metaviews.ca
https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=134587763314307

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Coups, trade and human rights: The changing face of Canadian foreign policy in Latin America and the Caribbean

Friday, November 18, 7 – 9 p.m.
Beit Zatoun House, 612 Markham Street (south of Bloor, west of Bathurst)
Free!

Betty Matamoros: A Honduran based social activist. She is the Central American coordinator of Hemispheric Social Alliance and a regional organizer of their campaign "Foreign Military Bases out of Latin America - We are a Region of Peace." She has been organizing with social movements regionally on trade and militarization issues for decades and has been key in building international solidarity with the non-violent resistance movement in Honduras that emerged following the coup d'état in June of 2009. She is the former international relations coordinator of the Honduras National Resistance Front, FNRP. She has traveled throughout the Americas and Europe speaking about the situation in Honduras since the coup with respect to human rights, political developments, trade, and militarization.
Kevin Edmonds: Is a U of T PhD student and freelance journalist who has also traveled to and reported on Haiti – including serving as a volunteer observer in Haiti’s last election with the Institute for Justice and Democracy in Haiti.  He will be speaking  about the recently released report he co-authored on the UN in Haiti called “Stabilizing Haiti: Mission Accomplished”   This report has been published through the Harvard School of Public Health and is a review of the human rights record on the United Nations Stabilization Mission in Haiti from 2010-2011.
Video - The Deadliest Place in the World for a Journalist - Mini-documentary on the Honduran journalists that have watched 15 colleagues assassinated in 19 months under the Lobo regime, a government Barack Obama praises for its "strong commitment to democracy" by Jesse Freeston
Organized by Common Frontiers, Toronto Haiti Action Committee and Latin American and Caribbean Solidarity Network

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Celebrating Community Victories - Standing up to the Harper Threat
Friday, November 18, 7pm – 9pm
@ Room 2215, OISE, 252 Bloor Street W, at Bedford exit of St. George subway

Panel organized by: Defenders of the Land supporters

Russell Diabo will be discussing big picture of the war against First Nations in Canada. He will discuss the challenges of getting rid of the Indian Act and having section 35 & the United Nations Declaration of Rights of Indigenous Peoples (UNDRIP) Articles recognized and respected for Inherent, Aboriginal & Treaty Rights implementation.

Pamela Palmater will discuss her recent work analyzing Bill S-2, regarding matrimonial property rights on reserve, which, as she writes, “will have a significant impact not only on the nature and legal status of reserve lands generally, but specifically in relation to who can hold, occupy, use and benefit from reserve lands.” Palmater has learned that this bill could lead to the elimination of many bands in Canada over the next 75 years.

(Chair) Sylvia Plain, Aamjiwnaang First Nation, Water Walker

Russell Diabo, Policy Consultant for the Algonquin Nation Secretariat, Editor and Publisher of the First Nations Strategic Bulletin

Pamela Palmater, Canada Research Chair in Indigenous Governance, Ryerson University

Randy Kapashesit, Chief of the MoCreebec Council of the Cree Nation

http://www.defendersoftheland.org/toronto
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The 4th annual Breast Fest Film Festival

Fri. – Sun, November 18 to 20
Royal Ontario Museum (Bloor and Ave. Road)

Breast Fest is the world’s only film festival dedicated to breast cancer awareness and education, and features a diverse line up of films, panel discussions and a special comedy night. For more information and full schedule: www.breastfestfilmfest.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Blown Up: Gaming and War

18 November - 17 December
InterAccess, 9 Ossington Ave.
... Opening reception: Fri. November 18, 7-10pm

Harun Farocki
Wafaa Bilal
Mohammed Mohsen

Interaccess is pleased to present BLOWN UP: GAMING AND WAR, an exhibition in which three artists from different geopolitical positions in the distribution of war – Germany, Iraq, and the Palestinian diaspora – improvise strategies of engagement with the ever accelerating relationship of video games to wars. Harun Farocki's two-channel video installation SERIOUS GAMES I: WATSON IS DOWN illustrates the ways that the American military use video games in the recruitment, training, and post-combat therapy of soldiers. In THE NIGHT OF BUSH CAPTURING: A VIRTUAL JIHADI, Wafaa Bilal has modified a game that has been used in the ideological component of the battle between the American military and Al Qaeda. The subject of Bilal's intervention began with a widely distributed American made game where players hunt Saddam Hussein. In response, Al-Qaeda added a new 'skin' to the American game so that players hunt George Bush. Mohammed Mohsen's video game WEAK, is a poetic exploration of the architecture of gaming and its impact on a colonized subject who grew up playing these games. Having experienced one of the few ineffectually censored access points to western media in Saudi Arabia in the 1980s, Mohsen suggests ways in which video games were a troubling source of pleasure and political anxiety.

http://www.interaccess.org/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Facilitation Workshop 201

Sat. Nov. 19, 11am – 5pm
University of Toronto St George Campus (Room location is given upon registration.)

This workshop will address the challenges of facilitating debates about tactics, strategy and other priorities. Participants are encouraged to arrive with specific challenges they have or are navigating in their activist work.  This workshop is geared to people with some facilitation experience.

Trainers: Mike Balkwill is a long-time organizer and co-author of “Participatory Planning for Action”. Jessica Bell is a trainer for the Ruckus Society, and a lecturer at Ryerson University.

Suggested donation: organizations and wage-earners, $20; unwaged, $10. No one turned away for lack of funds.  Proceeds go to running the Tools for Change program, including honorariums for trainers.

Register: http://www.toolsforchange.net/2011/08/14/facilitation-201/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Safeguarding Public Health Care: Setting the Agenda to Protect & Rebuild Public Health Care

Saturday, November 19 & Sunday, November 20
The Sheraton Centre, 123 Queen Street West
Registration: www.web.net/ohc/

Speakers include Linda McQuaig, Hugh MacKenzie, Taylor Chelsea and more
This is a period in which the future of health care delivery in Ontario will be defined and we need to play a lead role in that shift. After the provincial election, a $14 billion deficit and continuing corporate tax cuts threaten a new attack on public services. At the national level, the Canada Health Accord is under threat. We will review the context after the Ontario election, report on the activities undertaken in 2011, have a panel discussion with noted social commentators, look at the financial climate and tax cuts, and set the strategy to be a leading voice in the fight ahead.

Reclaiming the Indigenous Commons — Bob Lovelace

Reclaiming the atmosphere from Greenhouse Gas Emissions — Danny Harvey

Reclaiming space from weaponization and nuclear power in space — Bruce Gagnon

More info:  http://www.scienceforpeace.ca/changin-times-eric-fawcett-panel

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

False Positive. Private Profit in Canada’s Public Laboratories - book launch

Saturday, November 19, 7 p.m.
Free Times Cafe, 320 College Street

In this daring expose of the laboratory system, Ross Sutherland investigates its historical and contemporary development in Canada and argues that the landscape has been heavily influenced by the private, multinational for-profit companies to the detriment of the public health care system.
Ross Sutherland is a Registered Nurse and holds a Master’s degree in Political Economy from Carleton University. He works at Street Health Centre in Kingston and has a long history of activism in  unions and social movements.
More information: Ontario Health Coalition, ohc at sympatico.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Everybody is a Teacher

Sun. November 20, 10:00am - 6:00pm
Community Arts Centre, 918 Bathurst Street

Everybody is a Teacher will explore big questions through the facilitation style of Art of Hosting. This event will be a playful way to start the conversation about "What if" - what if schools were different? What if we challenged the system? What if we were all teachers? What if we were always learning? What if...read more

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Defending the Rights of the Earth and Providing for Peoples’ Needs

Sunday, November 20, 2 p.m.
OISE, 252 Bloor Street West, Room 5280

The environmental crisis: A discussion open to many points of view that support action to address the urgent issue of global warming and its threat to planet earth.

Facilitator: Ilian Burbano, a long-time community organizer with the Latin American Solidarity Network and the president of CUPE 3393.
Discussion led by: Zainab Amadahy, Judy Deutsch, Eva Portillo, Joseph Schuchert, Paul Tuck, Suzanne Weiss.
Initiated by Toronto Bolivia Solidarity, an action group of OPIRG-Toronto. For more info: boliviaclimatejustice at gmail.com;www.t.grupoapoyo.org

Suggested online readings:
-- An Activist Response to Abuse, Personal and Political”, by Zainab Amadahy.
-- Documents of the World People's Conference on Climate Change and the Rights of Mother Earth, Bolivia April 2010.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Two-day Basic Wen-Do Women's Self Defence course

Women and girls:  this course will be a great opportunity to...
learn simple, effective physical and verbal self-defence skills,
develop your ability to recognize and deal with potentially dangerous situations,
increase your confidence, and
have fun!
Dates:  Two Sundays, November 27 and December 4, 10:00am-5:30 pm
Location:  St Clair & Dufferin area
Open to:  Women and girls age 10 and up
Fee:  $150 (Early Bird fee of $125 for payments received by Nov 11!)
Please note that payment must be received in advance to hold your spot, and that no refunds will be given for withdrawals after Nov 7.
To register, or for more information:  Call Claire at 416-538-8837.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Crisis Invented

Every person who has gone to City Hall to speak out against cuts to services has been challenged by the Ford crew to help find $774 million shortfall. The number has been repeated ad nauseum and picked up by the media as if it’s real. We all know its fiction - put up to help "create a crisis" to further the real agenda of privatization and job cuts.

For the last five years the City of Toronto has started its budget process with a budgetary shortfall of over half a billion dollars. And every year the city brings the shortfall down to zero, without gutting city services or selling off valuable assets. A new report by the Wellesley Institute’s Sheila Block demonstrates, step-by-step, how the city can do the same thing this year.

Contrary to the rhetoric coming out of the mayor’s office, it isn’t too late; Councillors can make budgetary decisions that build our city, rather than cutting services that Torontonians rely on. The proof is easy to find at www.policyalternatives.ca/publications/reports/countdown-zero.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
http://www.greenspiration.org
Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in