T.O. Greenspiration Events: Eyes Wide Open

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Sun Mar 17 22:59:01 EDT 2013

T.O. Greenspiration Events

Pass this onto a friend...
-a

---------------------------------------

Permaculture Design Course: Co-Creating Regenerative Futures for the City, and Beyond

Building on the success of last year’s offering, we are pleased to announce Toronto’s second fullly Certified Permaculture Design Course, April 12 - 28, 2013 (100+ hours of teaching and learning). The rich content will be taught over 100 hours of lectures, innovative exercises, special guests, site visits, hands-on activities, and design work. We will start with permaculture principles and ethics, moving into design methodologies, which includes observation skills. We will further create a foundation with the earth and life sciences, and journey through natural and cultivated ecologies. For our home systems, we will look at natural building, renewable energy systems, biological waste treatment systems, and food storage. Beyond individual homes, we will explore various forms of sustainable communities, which include green economics and cultural systems.

Students will be supported with quality mentorship in their personal and professional paths. We will be developing skills as permaculture designers throughout the course, which will culminate in a final wholistic design project. Field trips and locations will showcase what Toronto is doing on the eco-front. There will be some evening and weekend sessions, which will be open to people not on the full course.

For more info and registration: http://gardenjane.com/workshopsandevents/permaculturecourse.html

Interested in joining our food team that will be providing students with Healthy, Nutritious, DELICIOUS food?
http://www.gardenjane.com/permaculturefoodteam.html
Contact Petra: 416.732.8965

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Wen-Do Women's Self Defence workshops

Women and girls:  this is a great opportunity to...
	• learn simple, effective physical and verbal self-defence skills,
	• develop your ability to recognize and deal with potentially dangerous situations,
	• increase your confidence, and
	• have fun!

ONE-DAY WORKSHOP IN MARCH

Sunday, March 24, 9:45 am-5:30 pm
Roncesvalles Ave south of Bloor St W
Open to:  Women and girls age 10 and up
Fee:  $100. If cost is a barrier, please speak to Claire.
To register, or for more information:  Call Claire at 416-538-8837.

TWO-DAY COURSE IN APRIL

Two Sundays, April 14 & 28, 10:15 am-6 pm
St Clair & Dufferin area
Open to:  Women and girls age 10 and up
Fee:  $150.  Early Bird fee of $125 for payments received by March 22!  If cost is a barrier, please speak to Claire.  (Please note that payment must be received in advance to hold your spot, and that no refunds will be given for withdrawals after March 22.)
To register, or for more information:  Call Claire at 416-538-8837.

http://www.wendo.ca/courses.php

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Join Karma Coop - Foodstore

739 Palmerston Ave. (near Bloor/Bathurst, in the alley)

Visit it to see for yourself just how fantastic it is!

http://www.karmacoop.org/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Eyes Wide Open: A Canadian Discussion to Reduce Opioid-Related Harms

A 12-part Webinar Series starting Mar. 18

Canada now leads the world in per capita consumption of opioids, but is that the gold medal Canadians are seeking? The spike in opioid prescriptions has led to accidental overdoses becoming a leading cause of unintentional death, a concurrent rise in addiction, a risk factor for crime and victimization and a significant socio-economic burden. Our opioid crisis is now more than 10 years old and may get worse before it gets better.

http://www.preventingcrime.ca/ewo/webinars.html?CFID=124563&CFTOKEN=f1ae3af8eead3186-7B37F7FE-EE53-D0C7-44624F581C25DAB0

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Idle No More Week U of T

- Monday March 18, 7-9 p.m. - H2Oil Film Screening
Koffler House, room 108, 569 Spadina Crescent

- Tuesday March 19, 6-8 PM - Deepening Knowledge Discussion: Introduction to First Nation Histories and Current Experiences
Sidney Smith Hall, room 5017B, 100 St. George Street

- Wednesday March 20, 12-1:30 p.m. - Indigenous- Settler Relationships on Campus
OISE, Nexus Lounge, 12th floor, 252 Bloor Street West
2-4 p.m. - Indigenous Campus Tour Led by Toronto Native Community History Project, Starts at First Nations House, 563 Spadina Avenue

- Thursday March 21, 8-10 p.m. - Double feature screening of Kanawayandan D'aaki: Protecting our Land and Kanehsatake: 270 Years of Resistance
OISE, room 5150, 252 Bloor Street West
9 p.m. - 2 a.m. - Nation to Nation Now- the Concert, Revival Bar, 783 College Street

- Friday March 22, 4 p.m. - Stolen Sprits of Haida Gwaii Film Screening
Anthropology Building, room 246, 19 Russell Street

- Saturday March 23, 10 AM- 9 PM - 'Nation to Nation Now - the Conversations', a symposium organized by Idle No More Toronto, Muskrat Magazine, and Indigenous Sovereignty, and Solidarity Network  - Discussions, Workshops, Presentations - OISE Auditorium, First Floor

Facebook.com/idlenomoreuoft

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Greedy Lying Bastards

Playing through to Thur. Mar. 21
Bloor Hot Docs Cinema (Bloor and Bathurst)

In the provocatively titled documentary, Greedy Lying Bastards, activist and filmmaker Craig Rosebraugh exposes the oil industry’s influence over political processes with campaigns that deny climate change. Ignoring scientific evidence, industry and political leaders with vested economic interests in fossil fuels engage in practices of deceit and corruption, shaping regulations and undermining democratic processes. The film examines tactics by the Koch Brothers, ExxonMobil and prominent politicians who are more concerned about profits than the future of the world’s population. Filmed over two years and across nine countries, Rosebraugh’s interviews feature many of the world’s leading scientists, experts, advocates and skeptics, presenting an alarming document of the absurdity and dangers of an environmental smear campaign.

Director Craig Scott Rosebraugh will participate in a Skype Q&A on Friday, March 15, at 9 p.m., and Saturday, March 16, at 7 p.m.

http://bloorcinema.com/movies/Greedy-Lying-Bastards/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Traditional Ecological Knowledge is Critical to Conservation
with Algonquin Elder Jacob Wawatie (Algonquin Anicinabe)

Monday March 18, 6 - 8 pm
Room 4001, Faculty of Forestry, U of T, 33 Willcocks Street

An elder and other community leaders from Barriere Lake (Algonquin) will be travelling to Toronto to speak about an indigenous-led vision for conservation of their lands, wildlife and waters. The discussion is open to everyone (but seating is limited). This is a great opportunity to hear directly from folks living on the land.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Lake Ontario Evenings: Bottoms Up! The Food Web Edition

Mon. March 18, Doors open at 6 pm, talks start at 6:30 pm.
Gladstone Hotel, 1214 Queen Street West

http://www.torontorap.ca/news-media/news/releases/155085

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Quebec and Quebec Solidaire: Linking Sovereignty, Equality and anti-Neoliberalism
With Amir Khadir -- Member of the Quebec National Assembly (Mercier) and former co-leader of Québec Solidaire.

Monday March 18, 7 p.m.
Alumni Lounge, 4th floor,, Mattamy Athletic Centre, (Maple Leaf Gardens), 50 Carlton Street (near Yonge)

Phyllis Clarke Memorial Lecture. Co-sponsored and supported by Ryerson's CUPE Locals 233, 1281, 3904, and the Department of Politics and Public Administration, Ryerson University

https://www.facebook.com/events/568659306495061/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Abortion rights under attack: How do we fight back?

Monday, March 18 , 7 pm
Rm 2172, Medical Sciences Bldg, 1 King's College Circle, U of T

Film screening and discussion about defending abortion rights in Canada. There will be a showing of the short film "A Matter of Choice", and discussion about some of the recent and ongoing attacks to women's right to choose.

Co-hosted by U of T's Medical Students for Choice and the Ontario Coalition for Abortion Clinics.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

UTEA is holding a news conference and panel discussion:
Climate Justice for Youth - How Can We Make Our Voices Heard?

Tues. March 19, 7 p.m.
Music Room, Hart House, U of T

With:
· Toronto-Danforth MPP Peter Tabuns
· 350.org Toronto president Milan Ilnyckyj
· School of the Environment & Munk Centre Professor Erich Vogt
· Environmental Activist Angela Bischoff
· Climate/First Nations activist Zach Ruiter

Should environmental groups focus on civil debate or on attention-grabbing activism? What has the most impact? We hope to spark a participatory discussion that will inspire and inform young people on how to better advocate for action on climate change.

https://www.facebook.com/events/438925092849537/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Is Public Art Really Important?

Tues. March 19, 7 - 9:30 p.m.
Evergreen Brickworks, BMO Atrium
$10

What is the role of art in the public realm? Discover how public art contributes to the cultural, social and economic value of a city, and how it connects to, and serves the public.

Moderator: Christopher Hume, Toronto Star.  With panellists:
Andrew Davies No.9: Contemporary Art & the Environment
Janine Marchessault, York University
Ken Greenberg, Greenberg Consultants Inc.
Michael J. Prokopow, OCAD University
Rebecca Carbin, Waterfront Toronto

http://ebw.evergreen.ca/whats-on/special-events/innovation-talks

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Canadian Women’s Health Network presents a Webinar:
Sexy sells: The marketing of girls' sexuality

Tues. Mar. 19, noon EDT
Register: https://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/eventReg?llr=mqj54lcab&oeidk=a07e75cglcg070d1452&oseq

Images of hypersexualized girls are so common that we hardly notice them anymore. In response, marketing companies try to draw our attention by eroticizing even younger girls. The goal is to catch our attention, brand their products and ensure our loyalty. In order to provide social context for this trend, Lilia Goldfarb will look at the connections between the sexualization of girls and corporate the marketing strategies of the industries that profit from this. She will also look at the health consequences of these practices. Goldfarb will explore strategies to encourage sex-more positive notions of sexuality and empowerment among girls and young women in a culture that can easily erode their self-confidence.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Chasing Ice

Tues. Mar. 19, Mon. Mar. 25
Bloor Hot Docs Cinema (Bloor and Bathurst)

A multi-year project that would, through time-lapse photography, document dramatic changes to numerous glaciers around the world. With stunning cinematography and access to never before seen areas of the Arctic, Chasing Ice documents Balog’s incredible journey to provide incontrovertible proof—at great risk to his own health—that our planet is in crisis and what we do to it matters.

http://bloorcinema.com/movies/Chasing-Ice/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Weekly Idle No More Teach-in

Tuesdays, 6 - 9 p.m.
439 Dundas Street East

www.councilfire.ca
For everyone else worldwide we will be livestreaming this LIVE at www.livestream.com/occupytoronto

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Water is More Precious than Gold
with Vidalina Morales, a representative from the El Salvadoran National Roundtable against Metallic Mining (the Mesa)

Tuesday, March 19, 7 – 8:30 p.m.
Palmerston Public Library, 560 Palmerston Ave. (2 blocks west of Bathurst and Bloor Street)

From March to April, a continent-wide speaking tour will raise awareness about the impact of industrial mining in El Salvador and garner international support for a ban on metal mining in the Latin American country.  Hosted by CBC journalist Karin Wells with co-panelist Stuart Trew, Trade Campaigner at the Council of Canadians, Vidalina  will speak of the struggle to ban metal mining in El Salvador. In 2008, the Salvadoran President declared an effective moratorium on mining projects. In response, two multinational mining corporations, Vancouver-based Pacific Rim Mining and Milwaukee-based Commerce Group, filed lawsuits against El Salvador in a World Bank trade tribunal for tens of millions of dollars.   El Salvador  is in the midst of a monumental battle to protect water and community wellbeing from industrial mining projects, as it seriously considers becoming the first country in the world to ban large-scale metals mining.  Morales is from an area of El Salvador threatened by a number of mining projects and as a member of the Mesa, Morales has been on the front lines of the struggle.  Come hear more with others about this struggle and what we can do!

justice at united-church.ca   --   http://canadians.org/blog/?p=19509
Toronto event organized by Partners in Mission/The United Church of Canada, KAIROS: Canadian Ecumenical Justice Initiatives, The Council of Canadians

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Update on Clean Train Legal Challenge

Wed. March 20, 7 p.m.
Indian Road Crescent Public School, 285 Indian Road Cres. (Keele Subway)

Clean Train Coalition's lawyer Saba Ahmad, will answer questions from the community and discuss
- is there a chance to stop the diesel train by using the justice system? Yes!
- what are your environmental rights?
- how is Metrolinx responding to the legal challenge?

http://www.cleantrain.ca/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/WBCA-Invitation_Public-Legal-Update.png

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Transit Talk Townhall

Wednesday, March 20, 7-9pm
Metro Hall (55 John Street), Room 314
Free. Register here - http://transittalk.eventbrite.ca/#

TTCriders is hosting its first Townhall of the year. Andy Byford, TTC Chief Executive Officer, and Chris Upfold, TTC Chief Customer Officer, will be in attendance to record and respond to your questions, compliments, complaints and general feedback about downtown transit. Does your streetcar or bus constantly run behind schedule? Is your local subway station not as clean as it should be? Escalators always out of order? Then join us for a discussion about how to improve TTC service in Toronto-East York (Scarborough, Etobicoke-York, and North York themed TransitTalks will follow throughout the year). TransitTalk is another way TTCriders aims to give transit users a voice.

Cant make it on the 20th? No worries. Send us your questions in advance and we’ll ask them for you and then post Andy and Chris’ responses to our website. Email questions toinfo at ttcriders.ca with the subject line ‘TransitTalk” or, follow along at and send questions via Twitter to @ttcriders, #TransitTalk

http://www.ttcriders.ca/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Religion in the Public Sphere presents:
Whose Conviction?  Religion and the (de)criminalization of drugs

Wednesday 20 March, 3-5 p.m.
Great Hall, Hart House, U of T
Free

How does religion shape public opinion about the (de)criminalization of drugs in and beyond Canada? What does Canada's increasing religious diversity do to this debate? And how does religion frame arguments for or against the decriminalization of drugs? Among our special guests in conversation: Donald MacPherson (Director, Canadian Drug Coalition), Rev. Dr. John Joseph Mastandrea (Metropolitan United Church, Police Chaplain to 51 Division Toronto), Ethan Nadelmann (Director, Drug Policy Alliance)

www.rps.utoronto.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Creating Healthy Minds in Children: Nutritional & Environmental Factors

Wed. Mar. 20, 7 p.m.
OISE, 252 Bloor W. , Rm. 5170

Drawing upon his extensive training and clinical experience, Dr. Gannage  will discuss the Integrative Medicine approach to optimizing healthy brain  development and function in children. His talk will emphasize key dietary  and nutrition aspects, while explaining the importance of maintaining a healthy gut ecosystem and avoiding environmental contamination.

Sponsored by Orthomolecular Health
http://orthomed.org/isf/media/Mar%202013%20Gannage.pdf

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

People's Budget

Wed. Mar. 20, 7 pm.
Cttee Rm. 3, Toronto City Hall (Queen and Bay)

Ontario has a new Premier, but we have the same challenges. Cuts to jobs and services have hurt communities just like yours and more than 40 percent of Ontario families are falling behind. We need to change the conversation on Austerity and make Ontario better for everyone.

Sponsored by the OFL and Labour Council
To register or for more information contact Duncan at dmacdonald at ofl.ca | www.peoplesbudget.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

University of Toronto Cinema Politica presents a double bill:

Kahensatake: 270 Years of Resistance
This film documents the 1990 crisis when the Mohawk Nation blocked access to reserve land that was being appropriated against their will.

Kanawayandan D’aaki – Protecting Our Land
Explores KI and the vision for the future of their lands and environment that benefits all life.

Thur. March 21, 8 p.m.
OISE, Rm. 5150, 252 Bloor W. (St. George subway)

www.cinemapolitica.org/uoft

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Making of Global Capitalism: The Canadian Model
with Professor Leo Panitch

Thursday, March 21, 7 p.m.
University College, rm 144, 15 King's College Circle

Presented by Science for Peace
scienceforpeace.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

SNAKE OIL: How the Petroleum Industry’s Misleading Promise of Plenty Imperils Our Future
with Richard Heinberg

Thur. March 21, 7:15 p.m.
Room 1050, Earth Sciences Centre, 33 Willcocks St., U of T
$8 at the door

Oil, coal, and natural gas are finite and depleting, while burning them changes Earth’s climate and compromises our future, so you might think that curtailing their use would be simple common sense. But there are major players in the energy debate that want to keep us burning more. In the past five years this debate has reached a significant turning point with the development of hydrofracturing for oil and gas production. Is this the dawning of a new golden age of cheap energy—or the last gasp of a fuel industry in steep decline?

https://www.facebook.com/events/512868155431904/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Managing Without Growth: Slower by Design, Not Disaster
With Peter Victor, Professor of Environmental Studies, York University

Thur. March 21, 7 – 9 p.m.
University College, 15 Kings College Circle, U of Toronto, Rm. 144
All welcome. No charge.

Co-Sponsored by University College Health Studies Programme, Canadian Pugwash Group, Science for Peace, and Voice of Women for Peace.
http://www.scienceforpeace.ca/managing-without-growth-slower-by-design-not-disaster

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Melt the freeze! Raise the minimum wage!

Thursday March 21, noon
Ministry of Labour office, 400 University Ave.

Ontario’s minimum wage has been frozen for 3 years, while the cost of living continues to rise.  Join us as we call for an immediate increase! The minimum wage should bring workers and their families above the poverty line.  That means Ontario’s minimum wage should be $14 in 2013.  A minimum wage increase is an investment in healthy communities and good jobs for workers in Ontario. On March 21st,  the first day of spring and the International Day for the Elimination of Racism, communities around Ontario will be coming together for a decent minimum wage. Get involved! Endorse the campaign. Organize an action in your city. Sign up for a delegation visit to your MPP

https://www.facebook.com/events/119569048228250/
http://workersactioncentre.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=b32b33961fd1e65272919d8a6&id=100a21db18&e=4f8562521a
Contact us at raisetheminimumwage at gmail.com or (416) 531-2411, ext. 246

The Campaign to Raise the Minimum Wage is coordinated by ACORN, Freedom 90, Mennonite New Life Centre, OCAP, Parkdale Community Legal Services, Put Food in the Budget, Social Planning Toronto, Toronto and York Region Labour Council and Workers’ Action Centre

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

In recognition of the United Nations Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination, The Roma Community Centre presents:
Our School

Thursday, March 21, 6:30 p.m.
Al Green Theatre , 750 Spadina Ave (Bloor and Spadina)
$15.00

A documentary film screening, an initiative of the Roma Rising/Opre Roma project encouraging Romani youth to defy negative Gypsy stereotypes and break through the barriers of racism. OUR SCHOOL is an award-winning documentary about three Roma ("Gypsy") children who participate in a project to desegregate the local school in their small Transylvanian town, struggling against tradition and bigotry with humor, optimism and sass. Shot over four years, the film tells a captivating, bitter-sweet and often funny story about hope, race and opportunities.

http://ourschoolfilm.blogspot.ca/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Free University Course - Intro to Animal Rights

Thursdays 7 - 9:30 p.m.
Lash Miller Chemical Laboratories, 80 St. George, University of Toronto, room 161

This is a weekly two hour lecture and discussion with different guest speakers, covering the work of thinkers who have made a significant contribution to the field of animal rights ethics, philosophy, and discourse. It will run from January to mid May, and possibly beyond, if there is interest. There will be many different lecturers.

https://www.facebook.com/events/409385955794789/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Housing Rights Protest

Thur. Mar. 21, 4 - 7 p.m.
Nathan Phillips Square

The greatest example of doing good is helping others in need.. are you blessed?Then share this event so others may receive the blessings of a home remember a lot of us are just a accident or a paycheck away ourself..needs be to all...Good blessings to all..

Sponsored by the Kevin Clark Campaign
https://www.facebook.com/events/617662258248324/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Exposure: Environmental Links to Breast Cancer

Thursday March 21, 7 p.m.
Centre for Social Innovation, 215 Spadina Ave., Suite 120
PYWC (pay-what-you-can).

All screenings at  Q&A and discussion to follow.  Wheelchair accessible.
For more information, call 416-928-0880 or visit www.womenshealthyenvironments.ca.
WHEN's Spring Film Series: Get Your Green On!

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Films for the Climate - World Water Day

Fri. March 22
Friends House, 60 Lowther Ave. (St. George subway station)

6:45 p.m. -  Tipping Point  - The Tar Sands With David Suzuki TIPPING POINT – THE TAR SANDS WITH DAVID SUZUKI
8 p.m. - Blockadia Rising! Direct Action Resistance to Keystone XL Pipeline

Admission by donation.  Refreshments provided
Each film one hour followed by discussion.  Funds raised will go to the defence fund for Ron Plain of Aamjiwnaang fighting contempt of court charge for blockade in support of Chief Theresa Spence.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Status Quo? The Unfinished Business of Feminism in Canada
Film Screening

Fri. March 22, 7 p.m.
S. Walter Stewart Library, 170 Memorial Park Ave.

Feminism has shaped the society we live in. But just how far has it brought us, and how relevant is it today? Status Quo? asks these questions and uncovers provocative - at times shocking - answers about the evolution of women's equality in Canada. Interweaving a wealth of dynamic archival material with startling contemporary stories, the film situates the vibrant Canadian women's movement in its history-making context. In 1967 the landmark Royal Commission on the Status of Women made recommendations to address the inequalities faced by women.

Status Quo? zeroes in on key concerns such as violence against women, access to abortion, and universal childcare, asking how much progress we have truly made on these issues. Status Quo? is crucial viewing for every Canadian, especially those unfamiliar with the vital achievements of the feminist movement.  This striking, in-depth documentary pays homage to Canada's feminist forerunners and raises important questions about where and how we should move on from here.

https://www.facebook.com/events/489466797781091/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Open Pit
2011,  90 minutes

Friday, March 22 – 7 p.m.
OISE, 252 Bloor St. West , Room 2-212 (St. George Subway Station:.
Everyone welcome. $4 donation requested.

Open Pit explores the impacts of gold mining, one of the most lucrative industries in the world. In the remote highlands of Cajamarca in Peru operates the Yanacocha mine, the most profitable goldmine in the world. Constantly taking over more land and impacting the environment, the mine is conflicting with the natives and their way of life based on agriculture and farming. The film explores the impacts of gold mining on the social, economic and political life of the country. The guest speakers are film-maker Gianni Converso, and Hans Modlich, who recently visited the mining conflict zone in Peru.

For more info: www.socialistaction.ca or call 416 – 461-6942.
Presented by Toronto Socialist Action as part of their Rebel Film series

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Lost Rivers - Concert, Screening and Discussion

Fri. Mar. 22, 7 p.m.
AGO (Art Gallery of Toronto), Dundas and McAll

Once flowing through nearly every developed city in the world, rivers provided the infrastructure upon which modern metropolises were built. In this adventurous and revelatory look into the disappearance and recent resurfacing of these historic waterways, Lost Rivers leads us down the drain into vast underground museums of urban development. Guiding us through the hidden river networks of London, Brescia (Italy), Montreal and Toronto, intrepid groups of subterranean explorers known as “drainers” reveal the buried waterways that house the secrets of each city’s past. Exploring recent initiatives to resurface and revitalize these forgotten waterways in Yonkers and Seoul, the fascinating Lost Rivers brings to life an aspect of urban ecology that has long been kept secret. Trailer: http://vimeo.com/50839044#at=0

Plus musical performance: H2O is a high energy Toronto-based band, an acappella quartet. H2O will perform a short water-themed musical performance for the audience’s enjoyment prior the screening of Lost Rivers.

https://www.facebook.com/events/252498214887738/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Yoga Conference and Show

Fri. - Sun.  Mar. 22 - 24
Toronto Convention Centre (Front Street and John)

Spend time shopping amongst 190+ conscious minded organizations and companies offering products and services inline with your mindful attitudes.

http://www.theyogaconference.com/toronto/show.php

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Making the Leap: Hope for a Sustainable World
Green Awakening Network, Greening Sacred Spaces, 5th Annual Forum

Sat, Mar. 23, 9 am – 3 p.m.
First Unitarian Congregation of Toronto, 175 St. Clair Ave. W.
$35

Keynote Speakers:
- José Etcheverry: On building and strengthening green energy economies in Canada and around the world.
- Stephen Scharper: A faith perspective on the heart and mind change needed for a sustainable future.
- Plus Workshops on Eco-Spirituality, Greening Faith Buildings and Building Sustainable Energy in Ontario.

A chance to connect with other faith communities responding to the challenges of climate change. Share your greening successes and be inspired to create change in your community.

www.greenchoices5.eventbrite.com
Phone: 905-771-5124 ext. 31   Email: greenawakening at tucc.ca
Registration Fee: $35

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Earth Hour Celebration

Turn off your lights Sat. March 23, 8:30 - 9:30 p.m. to send a message that you support lowering our collective energy footprint. Or join one of the Toronto events listed:

-- World Wildlife Fund celebration with a community lantern walk (from Grafton Ave Park or the Revue Cinema to Wright), live music by Liam Titcomb, a lights-off countdown and more. 8-9:30 pm. Free. Roncesvalles Village, Roncesvalles and Wright

-- Annual Candlelight Walk: Earth Hour 2013 - Join your community by powering down and standing up for the Planet! Turn off the lights. Stop the noise. Come to the forest. Feel the breath of the forest in early spring. Remember what was here before pavement, before us.  We are meeting by The Grenadier Restaurant in High Park for our candlelight walk. We will be walking down, going through the High Park Zoo, and back up to the restaurant. Meet at 7:45 pm in the parking lot of the Grenadier. High Park Zoo Earth Hour Candlelight Walk, starts at 8 pm.  The walk will conclude at The Grenadier Restaurant where we will have an Earth Hour gathering by the fireplace for a celebration, and information on making Earth Hour every hour. Join the walk: Bring your own candle or lantern, and walk together for Earth Hour.

-- Join Eastminster United Church for their Third Annual Earth Hour event: 'Earth Hour: Our Earth'; an intimate Community evening of Music and Conversation as we give voice to our Hopes, Dreams and Concerns for our Environment, our Energy Sources and our Economies. Ron McKay will moderate the discussion. The Eastminster Choir will be directed by Jacqueline Sadler. Refreshments will be provided. Eastminster United Church, 310 Danforth Ave. (at Chester Subway Station). 8 - 9 p.m.  http://www.eastminsteruc.org

http://www.wwf.ca/events/earthhour/   wwf.ca/earthhour

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Nation to Nation Now - the Conversations

Saturday, March 23

10 am – 5 pm, OISE auditorium, 252 Bloor Street West (St. George Subway Station)
Conversations with good hearts and minds working for change: Anishinabeg & Haudenosaunee Nationhood, Indigenous Women’s Leadership, Canada’s First Nations Termination Plan, Defenders of the Land.  With Leanne Simpson, Russ Diabo, Sheela Mclean, Sam McKay and more!

7 - 9 p.m., OISE Auditorium
Building a New Relationship
With Ellen Gabriel, Naomi Klein, & Arthur Manual moderated by Carla Robinson

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Scene: An Exploration of Music in Toronto

Sat. March 23, 6 p.m.
The Royal Cinema (608 College St)

Feature Doc: The Scene: an exploration of music in Toronto - 79 min
Director Josh Jensen and his producing and writing partner Andrew Smyth will be in attendance.
Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=AHOMEkh52kI

The Scene: An Exploration of Music in Toronto follows a trio of indie rock bands as they refine their sound, promote their shows, and record their music in the city of Toronto. With commentary from music legends, chart-toppers, band managers, talent agents, radio personalities, and industry experts, The Scene explores the realities of pursuing a career in Canada's music capital.

Co-presentred by MINT FESTIVAL
https://www.facebook.com/events/426096990812437/
www.thescenedoc.com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Queerly Political: Activism, Feminism, Marxism and Queer Politics

Saturday, March 23, 7 p.m.
Beit Zatoun, 612 Markham Street (near Bloor and Bathurst)

How can we build a united movement that respects difference and autonomy, and also advances common struggles against oppression and exploitation? What are the linkages, and tensions, between feminism and queer politics? And how can we understand women's liberation in the context of other movements against oppression? Join us to hear Alan Sears and Johannah May Black address these and other questions.

www.workersassembly.ca - https://www.facebook.com/events/623310657695387/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Water Docs: Water and Wildlife Matinée

Sun. March 23, 1 - 3 p.m.
Art Gallery of Ontario (McCaul and Dundas)

Family friendly screenings.

https://www.facebook.com/events/481898358526025/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Fair Trade Toronto is recruiting volunteers for the Green Living Show
April 12-14 @ Direct Energy Centre

Looking to become involved in something that can make a difference?  Like to meet new friends and have fun? Consider joining Fair Trade Toronto as a volunteer.  We are currently recruiting volunteers for this year’s Fair Trade Town at the Green Living Show.  Volunteers will help engage the public in what Fair Trade is and its benefits, as well as talk about Fair Trade Toronto and its initiatives.  We will provide the appropriate training to ensure all volunteers are comfortable before volunteer day.

For more info or to sign up, please email:  anice.wong at fairtradetoronto.ca  or  http://fairtradetoronto.ca/hey-volunteers-were-recruiting-for-this-years-green-living-show/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
http://www.greenspiration.org
Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in