T.O. Greenspiration Events: Water or nuclear power?

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Sun Nov 17 18:20:15 EST 2013

T.O. Greenspiration Events
Pass this onto a friend. = a

---------------------------------------

Bike Lanes on Bloor
Well the bike study for bike lanes on Bloor was passed by T.O. Council. with a vote of 30 - 3. That's a solid base of support. But as Bells on Bloor leader Albert Koehl says, we don't actually need to spend a few years and $450,000 dollars on another study. We could spend that money on a pilot project, and actually paint lines now. We're asking for just that in the Annex. Let your Councillors know that you support this.
Bixi was also saved at the 11th hour, though with 24-20 votes, as Mayor Ford said, "Anything can be undone".

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Hitler learns Mayor of Toronto Rob Ford smokes crack
Very funny 3 min. video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTzMf515t-w&feature=share

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Stop Line 9 Toolkit
Some of you have asked for more information on how to talk about Line 9 with your family, friends & neighbours. There's a great Toolkit of Line 9 materials. Lots of information (fact sheets, presentations, maps and reports) perfect for helping you raise awareness on this issue.
http://www.stopline9-toronto.ca/line9toolkit.php

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Students for a Free Tibet Canada
is seeking a Youth Engagement Coordinator to work on its exciting new program called Young Canadian Leaders for Tibet. It's a part-time 12-month position.
http://bit.ly/HVkc0M

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Veggielicious
Nov 15 to 30
Celebration of gourmet vegetarian cuisine with prix-fixe menus at restaurants and bakeries throughout the city.
veggielicious.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

European Union Film Festival
Nov 14 - 27
Royal Cinema, 608 College
Films from more than 20 countries reflecting the excellence, innovation and diversity of European cinema. Free.
eutorontofilmfest.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Building Sanctuary: The Movement to Support Vietnam War Resisters in Canada, 1965-73
Book Launch & Fundraising Dinner

Monday November 18, 6 pm Dinner, 7 pm Programme
Steelworkers Hall, 25 Cecil Street, Toronto
$20 suggested donation
Please join us for a discussion with author and anti-war activist Jessica Squires about her recently published book. The history of the movement that fought for Vietnam War Resisters to win asylum in Canada has played an important role in the development of today’s movement in support of a new generation of U.S. War resisters.  This event will be an opportunity to discuss some of the less-known aspects of that history, and its relevance to the struggle for asylum today. Jessica will be introduced by Vietnam War resister Tom Riley, and lawyer Alyssa Manning will provide a legal update.
www.resisters.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Join TTC Riders at City Hall to say YES to more service and NO to fare hikes

Mon. Nov. 18, 1 p.m. onwards
T.O. City Hall (Queen and Bay)
Register to attend and speak (speaking is optional) at the TTC Commission Meeting at City Hall.  We have TTCriders t-shirts!
http://bit.ly/1dkEaQo
http://app.mailerlite.com/b4k3q5/57252059/s4e4/1331904873

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Mobility Pricing Summit

Mon. Nov. 18
Metropolitan Hotel, Toronto
The Summit will focus on how parking levies, gas taxes, HOT Lanes and other mobility pricing measures can help cut congestion, achieve equity and ensure accountability as public transit and road infrastructure investments are made.
http://www.transportfutures.ca/summit

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Why Should I Care? Are we ready for the next big storm?

Mon, Nov. 18, 7:30 pm
Duke of York, 39 Prince Arthur Ave.
Join us to ask your questions and share your thoughts on infrastructure resiliency in a warming climate. If you just want to sit, listen, and have a drink, that’s fine too. Free.
http://tcan.ca/why-should-i-care-are-we-ready-next-big-storm

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Book launch: Undoing Border Imperialism by Harsha Walia

Monday November 18, 7 pm
Friend's House, 60 Lowther Street (north of St.George Station).
Featuring Lee Maracle, Harsha Walia, and messages from the Migrant Hunger Strikers in Lindsay. Mississauga New Credit and Haudenesaunee territory. Wheelchair accessible. ASL provided. Please contact lesley.j.wood at gmail.com before November 6th if you'll need childcare.
Undoing Border Imperialism is an exciting new book that situates immigrant rights movements within a transnational analysis of capitalism, labor exploitation, settler colonialism, state building, and racialized empire. By providing the alternative conceptual frameworks of border imperialism and decolonization, this work offers relevant insights for all grassroots and social movement organizers on effective strategies to overcome the barriers and borders within our movements in order to cultivate fierce, loving, and sustainable communities of resistance striving toward liberation.
Webstreaming at: http://bambuser.com/channel/cuzdcrow

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Cycle Toronto Action Alert: Attend a Meeting & Support Protected Bike Lanes on Richmond & Adelaide

Monday, November 18, and
Tuesday, November 19
9 a.m. - 9 p.m. – Materials on display
3 p.m. - 8 p.m. – Project team on site to answer questions
Monday, 6 p.m. – Spoken presentation of the materials
Metro Hall, Rotunda, 55 John Street
The City of Toronto is hosting a two day drop-in event to present preliminary recommended solutions for bikeways on Richmond St and Adelaide St as well as Peter St & Simcoe St. Find out what Cycle Toronto supports and tell city staff what you think.
http://cycleto.ca/action-alert-attend-meeting-support-protected-bike-lanes-richmond-adelaide

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

NCR: Not Criminally Responsible

Tuesday, November 19, 6 pm
Bloor Hot Docs Cinema (506 Bloor St W, at Bathurst)
Come on out for a free screening, hosted by MP Olivia Chow, of Emmy Award-winner John Kastner’s film on "NCR: Not Criminally Responsible", a touching portrait of Sean, who is mentally ill, and his victim, Julie, a stranger whom he stabbed in a shopping mall while suffering from severe delusions. The film asks thought-provoking questions about mental health, violence, and victims’ rights in Canada. Afterwards, there will be a panel discussion including the founding president of CAMH, Paul Garfinkel and the award-winning director of the film.
To order your free tickets, please click here: http://bit.ly/1aiPI3K
Or watch it online here: http://www.cbc.ca/doczone/episodes/not-criminally-responsible

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

How to Feed 9 Billion on a Small Planet
Webinar

Tues. Nov. 19, 12 - 2 pm
Free
Growing evidence shows that agroecology will feed the world. Business as usual will not. Miguel Altieri from the University of California (Berkeley) – a widely published, leading authority on agroecology – will speak on ecological agriculture as a key solution to food insecurity, hunger, and climate change. He’ll be joined by panelists Jean-Martin Fortier, farmer and author of Le jardinier maraîcher (coming soon in English as The Market Gardener), and Sarah Archibald of the Meal Exchange Campus Food Project.  Henry Lickers, Environmental Science Officer, Mohawk Council of Akwesasne.  Bob Carty, former CBC Radio host, will moderate the webcast.
Info and registration: http://usc-canada.org/feedingtheworld/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Water Power or Re-built Nuclear?
With Jack Gibbons, Ontario Clean Air Alliance

Wed. Nov. 20th, 7 p.m.
8th floor, OISE (252 Bloor St. W, St. George subway), U of T
Free, all welcome
The province of Ontario is moving forward with re-building 4 reactors at Darlington, which would lock us into a high-cost risky centralized power system until 2050. The Ontario Clean Air Alliance (behind Ontario’s successful coal phase-out) contends that we can lower our energy bills and move to a 100% renewable electricity grid by 2030 by a combining energy conservation and efficiency with water power from Quebec. Join us in an active discussion about the pros and cons of nuclear vs. water power, and find out how you can plug in to help shape Ontario energy policy.
For more info: angela at cleanairalliance.org
Read our report here: http://www.cleanairalliance.org/files/hydroimports-oct2.pdf
Read our leaflet here: http://www.cleanairalliance.org/files/qbhydro.pdf
Event co-sponsored by Ontario Clean Air Alliance and Alumni for a Free U of T
https://www.facebook.com/events/1419222181640430/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Living with Cancer: Nutritional Therapies for Improved Quality of Life

Wed. Nov. 20, 7 - 9 p.m.
OISE, 252 Bloor W, Rm. 2212
Pre-registration $10 | Members $5 | Door $15. Pay-what-you-can tickets are also available for those in financial need.
Conventional Cancer treatments can leave a person feeling depressed and exhausted. Learn how adjunctive nutritional therapies can improve energy, mood and the overall effectiveness of traditional treatments.
	• Nutrition and lifestyle factors to reduce the risk of developing cancer
	• Minimizing side effects of cancer treatments while maximizing their efficacy
	• New assessment techniques including circulating tumor cells and chemosensitivity testing
	• Other therapies recognized to inhibit the development of cancer
http://bit.ly/19Yk8V2

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Land Rights, from Turtle Island to Palestine

Wed. November 20, 7 pm - 9:30 pm
Beit Zatoun, 612 Markham (near Bloor and Bathurst)
With Lee Maracle and Nadia Ben Youssef.  Idle No More has re-centred the issue of Indigenous Sovereignty in Canada. It is the latest chapter in a long struggle by Indigenous peoples to have control over their land and resources. From Grassy Narrows to Ipperwash to Oka to the struggles of the Elsipogtog First Nation in Rexton, New Brunswick, to the deplorable Tar Sands in Alberta. It is a struggle for the dignity of the peoples of the land and for the land itself. Similarly, the indigenous Arab Bedouin in the Naqab (Negev) desert are struggling against Israel’s plan to forcibly remove them from their ancestral lands and put them into “townships.” Between 30,000 and 70,000 Bedouin face eviction from lands they have lived on for hundreds of years. And they are citizens of the state of Israel.
http://beitzatoun.org/event/land-rights-from-turtle-island-to-palestine/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Anti-Racism: A Critical Discussion
Book launch

Wednesday, November 20, 6-7 pm Panel Discussion , 7-9 pm Book Launch Reception
Hart House Library, U of T
Free
Join us for the book launch of the new critical reader, Contemporary Issues in the Sociology of Race and Ethnicity, edited by George J. Sefa Dei and Meredith Lordan. From the Travyon Martin case to Africentric schooling, this work brings theory to the front lines of racial identity, engagement, and challenge. Academia meets the real -- and racialized -- world. Join us for an interactive discussion to celebrate the Canadian launch of this new collection. A light reception will follow.
Hosted by the Hart House Social Justice Committee and Literary & Library Committee

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Town Hall Meeting: Stop the Attack on Disability Benefits

Wednesday November 20, Meal 6 pm, Town Hall 6:30 pm
St Luke's Church, 353 Sherbourne Street (corner of Sherbourne and Carlton, in the Gymnasium)
* Wheelchair Accessible  * ASL Interpretation  * Tokens Available
The Ontario Liberal Government is sitting on a proposal to merge Ontario Works (OW) and Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) into one program. The government reports claim the merger of ODSP and OW will make the system ‘easier’ to access and carry out. The reality is that it’s about cutting benefits. Join OCAP at St. Lukes Church for dinner and to talk about this proposed merger of ODSP and Ontario Works and how we can fight back to stop this from happening. Listen to other people’s stories and talk about your worries on how the joining of the programs will affect you.
http://ocap.ca/files/ODSP-MERGER-Pamplet-final.pdf
https://www.facebook.com/events/227390870760808/
www.ocap.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Planet in Focus
14th Annual Environmental Film Festival

Thur. – Sun. Nov. 21 – 24
TIFF Bell Lighthouse and Art Gallery of Ontario theatres
 http://planetinfocus.org/festival-schedule/

---------------------------------------

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Animal Rights Academy
With Liz White, politician and animal rights advocate, founder and board member of the Animal Alliance of Canada

Thursday Nov. 21, 7:10 p.m. - 9:15 p.m.
100 St. George (Sidney Smith building), University of Toronto, room 2105
The first hour is the lecture, and the second hour an open discussion.
Free and open to the public. Animals are welcome provided they are relatively quiet.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

A Canadian Churchman Reports on “Come And See Tour” in Palestine

Thur. November 21 7 pm - 9:30 pm | $5
Beit Zatoun, 612 Markham (near Bloor and Bathurst)
The harsh realities of daily life for Palestinians under occupation. Dr. Barry Pridham spent 13 days in Palestine at the invitation of The Christian Council of Churches of the Middle East on a “come and see tour.”  He shares from the heart his experience of Palestinian life under Israeli occupation.  Using photos taken on the trip he tells of his witnessing and his responsibility to share with others in Canada.
http://beitzatoun.org/event/a-canadian-churchman-reports-on-come-and-see-tour-in-palestine/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

TTC Customer Town Hall

Thursday, November 21, 6:30 pm - 9 pm
Toronto City Hall, 100 Queen Street West
Marketplace: Main Floor Rotunda 6:30 pm - 7:00 pm
Town Hall: Council Chambers 7 pm - 9 pm
This is an opportunity to share your experiences and let the TTC hear your concerns about the state of our public transit.
http://www.ttc.ca/News/2013/November/1411_town_hall.jsp

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Addictions Awareness: Reducing Harms Associated with Drug Abuse

Fri. Nov. 22, 10 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Church of the Holy Trinity (near Bay ad Dundas, behind Eaton's Centre)
A free event for everyone interested in learning  more about substance abuse and harm reduction.
Find out more and pre-register: addictionsawarenessTO at gmail.com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Artisanal Chocolate Workshops

Friday November 22, 6 p.m.
ChocoSol, 1131 St. Clair West
Our two hour artisanal chocolate workshops provide interactive bean-to-bar chocolate education (including discussions on the history and cultural teachings of cacao, chocolate making techniques, horizontal trade and forest garden permaculture), hands-on ingredient preparation, chocolate tastings, and the opportunity to purchase ChocoSol products.
$25 per person (cash please). A minimum of 10 people are needed. Maximum 20.
To reserve your spot, please email info at chocosoltraders.com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Whole Life Expo

Friday-Sunday, November 22-24
Metro Toronto Convention Centre, 255 Front St. West, Toronto
$10 exhibit pass (lecture pass $15)
http://www.wholelifecanada.com/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Bring It On! - NVC Deepening Workshop

Saturday, Nov. 23, 10 am - 5:30 pm
Bring the situations, challenges and hopes which matter to you and we'll use the NVC Dialogue Dance Floor and other NVC tools to support you in getting more understanding, connection, and empowerment. We'll also play with engaging ways to communicate with folks who are not trained in the NVC process. We're keeping registration to 10 or less to maximize learning, practice and coaching.
Requested Preparation: at least two days NVC training plus experience using the process
Tuition: $110 regular;   $90 for students / low income (if finances are a barrier, contact us beforehand about options)
Registration: (limited to 10) -  Henryhwai at gmail.com; (226) 500-1983

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Ontario Health Coalition's Action Assembly and Annual Conference
- our annual meeting which includes planning our strategy for the upcoming provincial election and the next year

Saturday Nov. 23, 10 a.m. - 5 p.m and Sunday November 24, 9 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.
Civic Ballroom South at the Sheraton Centre Hotel, 123 Queen St. West,
As always, we will have excellent speakers and lots of opportunity to discuss and debate our strategy.
www.ontariohealthcoalition.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Indigenous & Ingenious Pop-up show and sale of works by indigenous artists

Sat. Nov. 23, 11 am - 7 pm.
Gladstone Hotel 1214 Queen W.
Free

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Street Smarts - riding in wet and cold weather

Sat. 23 November, 2 – 4 p.m.
Lillian H. Smith Library, 239 College
This Street Smarts workshop will cover the benefits of commuting by bicycle, laws that govern cyclists and motorists, techniques for safe street riding, and basic bike maintenance, with a focus on riding in wet and cold weather. We will also provide copies of our Toronto Cyclists Handbook and Toronto bike maps. Please register. This is not a drop-in clinic, and we will not be able to offer bike repair services.
http://cycleto.ca/event/2013/10/29/street-smarts-public-workshop-lillian-h-smith-library-riding-wet-and-cold-weather

 ---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Community Organizing

Saturday, November 23, 1 - 4 p.m.
Downtown T.O.
This workshop will outline the theory of community organizing and the steps and strategies involved in actively participating in an organization engaged in community organizing. Trainer: Effie Vlachoyannacos is the Managing Director of Public Interest, a social enterprise in Toronto working with communities to fuel social change and build the capacity of non-profit organizations and labour groups to do the same.
Register: https://www.eventbrite.com/event/8465471453

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Gold Fever

Saturday, Nov. 23, 9 pm
TIFF Bell Lightbox (King and John)
Gold Fever witnesses the arrival of Canadian mining giant Goldcorp Inc to a remote Guatemalan village.  Caught in the crosshairs of a global frenzy for gold, Diodora, Crisanta and Gregoria resist the threat to their ancestral lands in the face of grave consequences.  Winner of the Rigoberta Menchú Grand Prix at the 2013 Montreal First Peoples Festival, Gold Fever is a hard-hitting documentary about the destructive and exploitative impacts of transnational mining.
Sponsored by Mining Watch
http://planetinfocus.org/festival-films/gold-fever/
www.goldfevermovie.com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Do I Have the Right to Film Police?

Sat. Nov. 23, 5 - 8 p.m.
OISE, 252 Bloor St. West, Room 2-212(St. George subway)
Free childcare
People who film the police discourage police brutality and harassment by letting the cops know that their actions are being recorded and that they will be held accountable for their acts of harassment and abuse.
Practical tips:
* Filming the police
*Legal information
*Discussion of tactics on fighting police violence
https://www.facebook.com/events/354391954697407/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Who’s Afraid of Ai Weiwei?
Film and Discussion

Saturday November 23, 4 pm Film and Discussion, 5:30 pm Dinner
Near Danforth and Coxwell – For location, please call 647.393.3096
The recent AGO exhibition of Ai Weiwei’s “According to What” provoked much interest in, and debate about, his work. Born in Beijing in 1957, Ai is an outspoken social critic who has used his voice as an artist to challenge corruption and human rights abuses. Ai was arrested by Chinese authorities in April 2011 and held incommunicado for three months. Upon his release, he was prohibited from traveling abroad, engaging in public speech, and was subjected to continued government surveillance. Join us for a film and discussion about the art and politics of Ai Weiwei.
Suggested donation $7-15 (sliding scale)
Organized by Toronto East International Socialists
Info: 647.393.3096

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Left Words. Festival of Books and Ideas
Smart writers. Critical perspectives. Great deals.

Sunday November 24, 11:30 am - 5 pm
Ryerson Student Centre, 55 Gould Street (near Yonge and Dundas)
Join BTL and other independent book and magazine publishers for the LeftWords Festival. LeftWords is a free public event that celebrates and promotes the work of progressive writers and thinkers whose works appear in independently published Canadian books and magazines. Great panels throughout the day too including:
- For Thought: On Food Security, Sustainability and Activism
- Activism on the Body: Health and Politics
- Women in a Globalizing World: Transforming Equality, Development, Diversity and Peace
http://www.leftwordsfestival.ca/leftwords/leftwords_program.html

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Overworked, Overstressed, and Disillusioned - Time To Rethink the American Dream?

Virtual Roundtable
Sunday, Nov 24, 7 pm EST
www.mutualresponsibility.org/roundtable

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Communist School Presents: Revolutionary Attitude and Combat Liberalism

Sun. Nov. 24, 4 - 6 p.m.
563 Spadina Ave, Room 100
Wheelchair accessible via Bancroft Ave.
Childcare available on site. Refreshments will be served.
Lesson 2 is a read-out-loud and discussion of two documents on mass work: Revolutionary Attitude and Combat Liberalism.
https://www.facebook.com/events/1374238166153339/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Two-day Basic Wen-Do Women's Self Defence course

November 24 and December 1, 9:45 am - 5:30 pm
St Clair & Dufferin area
Open to:  Women and girls age 10 and up
$150.  If cost is a barrier, please speak to Claire.
Women and girls:  this course will be a great opportunity to...
	• learn simple, effective physical and verbal self-defence skills,
	• develop your ability to recognize and deal with potentially dangerous situations,
	• increase your confidence, and
	• have fun!
Please note that payment must be received in advance to hold your spot, and that no refunds will be given for withdrawals after November 3rd.
To register, or for more information:  Call Claire at 416-538-8837.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

DinnerTalk: Harvest Noon Hosts a Talk on Ontario's Electricity Future
with Angela Bischoff, Ontario Clean Air Alliance

Tues November 26, 6 - 8 pm
Harvest Noon Cafe (upstairs at 16 Bancroft Ave - University of Toronto)
We regret that our café is not wheelchair accessible.
Ontario’s Electricity Future: Nuclear, Gas or Green? Ontario is at a crossroad: All our nuclear reactors are coming to the end of their lives in the next decade and will need to be replaced. Should we build new or rebuild old reactors? Can we phase out all fossil fuels? What are the viable green electricity sources? How much can conservation reduce our demand for electricity? And what can we as a province afford?
Cost: The talk itself is free to members and University of Toronto graduate students. Optional vegan dinner is $5. Please let us know whether you would like dinner in the comments section when you sign up to attend the event here: http://bit.ly/1dpNiQw
https://www.facebook.com/events/230477223785825

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

NOW magazine hosts a very comprehensive online events listing
http://www.nowtoronto.com/news/listings/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
http://www.greenspiration.org
Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in