T.O. Greenspiration Events: Growing Cities

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Sun Nov 16 21:41:24 EST 2014

T.O. Greenspiration Events
Pass this onto a friend!
-a

---------------------------------------

Saving the Planet, One Meal at a Time - By Chris Hedges
With animal agriculture as the leading cause of species extinction, water pollution, ocean dead zones and habitat destruction, and with the death spiral of the ecosystem ever more pronounced, becoming vegan is the most important and direct change we can immediately make to save the planet and its species.
http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/saving_the_planet_one_meal_at_a_time_20141109

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Lessons from B.C.’s carbon tax
British Columbia’s carbon tax has been in place for six years, and all available evidence shows it’s working: per capita fuel use covered by the tax has dropped by 16 per cent in the province relative to 2008 (the year the carbon tax came into effect), and so too has carbon pollution. That’s good for the environment. Meantime, B.C.’s economy has outpaced the rest of Canada’s over the same period. That’s great for jobs and the economy
http://www.pembina.org/blog/lessons-from-bcs-carbon-tax

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Some Very Initial Thoughts on the US-China Climate Deal
Good news on the climate front according to Naomi Klein
http://thischangeseverything.org/some-very-initial-thoughts-on-the-us-china-deal/#more-1209

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Woman Who Bore British Undercover Officer’s Child Is to Get Settlement
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/25/world/europe/british-undercover-officer-settlement.html?_r=1

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Sign On to Open Letter to John Tory
We demand safe spaces now! Accessible shelters! Affordable, accessible housing for all!
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/a-call-for-safe-spaces-accessible-shelters-and

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Veggielicious
Celebration of gourmet vegetarian cuisine with prix-fixe menus at restaurants and bakeries throughout the city. $15-$35.
http://www.veggielicious.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

How to face the global mess we're in and co-create a new story for humanity
Mon. Nov. 17, 6:30 - 9 p.m.
OISE Peace Lounge, 7th floor, 252 Bloor St. W.
This series will inform, empower, and help equip you to play your part in bringing the next society into being. Join us to explore: What are the challenges and opportunities of this time? How can our fear and grief empower us to be the change? What can we do to bring about a sustainable, fulfilling future? Come to any or all of the sessions!
www.unifytoronto.ca/events

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Even It Up report and campaign launch with Oxfam
Monday Nov. 17, 6:30 – 10 pm
Hart House Music Room, U of T
Join us in Toronto for an evening of dynamic speakers, moderated by Rabble founder Judy Rebick, to celebrate the Canadian launch of Oxfam's campaign to end global inequality. You’ll hear from leading economic thinkers and Oxfam Canada's newly appointed executive director. And we want to hear from you, too. Bring your questions about how we can shrink the gap between rich and poor, and let us know how inequality is affecting your communities. Join us to unpack inequality and discuss how we can Even It Up.
http://www.oxfam.ca/even-it-up-launch

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

War Resisters Support Campaign - Community Dinner and Update
Take Action to support US Iraq War resisters
Mon. Nov. 17, 6 p.m.
Steelworkers Hall 25 Cecil
It has been a busy fall in the campaign for asylum for U.S. Iraq war resisters. Please join us for a fundraising evening, featuring an update with: Alyssa Manning, lawyer representing U.S. war resisters in Canada;
Jane Orion Smith, CFSC (Quakers) General Secretary; and a US war resister.
$20 suggested donation.
http://resisters.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

SPIN
Starring The Bicycle as Muse, Musical Instrument and Agent of Social Change By Evalyn Parry
Nov. 17 - 23, Tuesday thru Saturday @ 8 pm, Sunday @ 2:30 pm (PWYC)
Buddies in Bad Times Theatre (near Yonge and Dundas)
One week only!! SPIN returns to Buddies by popular demand, playing the main space
http://evalynparry.com/spin/
http://buddiesinbadtimes.com/tickets/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Growing Cities - A Film About Urban Farming
Wed. Nov. 19, 6:30 p.m.
Bloor Hot Docs (Bloor and Bathurst)
Growing Cities is a film about urban farming in America. Get an inside look at how growing amazing food in cities is producing stronger and more vibrant communities. Key people and organizations growing food in Toronto will inform and inspire you! Funds raised go to Greenest City programs. $12
Trailer: http://www.growingcitiesmovie.com/the-film/
https://www.facebook.com/events/674010896045492/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Food Fight Toronto
Wednesday, November 19, 5 – 8 p.m.
Centre for Social Innovation Regent Park, 585 Dundas Street East, 3rd floor
Food Fight Toronto will bring together innovators, researchers, producers, entrepreneurs, other disruptors and YOU to showcase and taste the future of food. Join us in a celebration that showcases dozens of visionaries for a sustainable food system. These are the people and organizations that are looking for your help in redefining the future of food. Discover the ideas, practices, products and services that will change the way you relate to your dinner plate.
https://www.facebook.com/events/286656664858042/?utm_source=Innovators&utm_campaign=0d53250e5f-Innovators_Oct_2110_21_2014&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_690d89cb87-0d53250e5f-48016037

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Education for Security Leaders: A Global Survey and Research Agenda
With Lt. Col. (ret.) David Last, Associate Professor of Political Science, Royal Military College
Wed. Nov. 19, 4 – 6 p.m.
Room 140, University College, 15 Kings College Circle, U of T
Hosted by Science for Peace

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Powering the Future: Insights from the Co-operative Energy Transition
Wednesday, November 19, 7 – 9 p.m
YWCA Elm Centre, 87 Elm St.
Join the Federation of Community Power Co-operatives and GTA-based energy co-operatives for an evening of learning, sharing and celebration. Find out more about local and international activities in community power and the growing trend of green energy impact investing. Special Guest: Dr. Andreas Wieg, Head of the German Office for Energy Cooperatives, whose work supports the almost 900 thriving renewable energy co-operatives in Germany. After hearing insights from Germany’s experience, stay to learn more about community power co-operatives operating in the GTA or get a crash course on the fundamentals of community power in Ontario.
http://www.eventbrite.ca/e/powering-the-future-insights-from-the-co-operative-energy-transition-tickets-14026755403

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Stranded Assets owned by the world's Oil, Coal and Gas industries
Wednesday, Nov. 19, 7 pm
Metro Hall, 55 John Street (at King Street West), Room 308
A one hr (approx) presentation by Michael Brothers on how and why the world's oil, gas and coal producers are exploring for and developing far more fossil fuel reserves than can ever be used, if the world is to avoid catastrophic global warming. What are the implications of this to Canada and the rest of the world if indeed we have to close down our carbon-based energy producers and move to renewable resources?
http://tcan.ca/event/stranded-assets-owned-worlds-oil-coal-and-gas-industries

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Save Our Community Hospitals
Wednesday Nov. 19, 10 am
Parkdale Community Health Centre, 1229 Queen St. W.
With guest speaker Natalie Mehra, OHC Executive Director
The government of Ontario is undertaking an aggressive plan to dismantle community hospitals and contract-out hospital surgeries and diagnostics to private clinics. In the most aggressive cuts plan that we have ever seen, after more than five years of budget slashing, they plan to close all of the outpatient services that they can and hive them off to private clinics, cut acute care beds, maternity and local care services and cut chronic care beds by as much as 50% even though there is nowhere for these patients to go. Every piece of hospital care that is being cut from our local community hospitals is being privatized and subject to new user fees for patients when they are sick and elderly and least able to pay. We are organizing a giant rally at the Ontario Legislature to stop this and we have been organizing and planning events in every community that we can. It is time for regular Ontarians from every part of our province to stand up and tell our government to stop the destruction of our community hospitals that we have funded and built for a hundred years.
www.ontariohealthcoalition.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Regent Park Film Festival
Nov 19 to 22, Wed. - Sat.
Daniels Spectrum 585 Dundas E
Screenings, panel discussions, workshops and talkbacks that reflect inner-city communities like the Regent Park Community. Free.
http://regentparkfilmfestival.com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Future of Nuclear within Ontario’s Energy Mix - Pro and Anti Panel
Thur. Nov. 20, 6:15 p.m.
Sanford Fleming Building, Room 1105,10 King's College Road, U of T
Pro- and Anti-nuclear panel with Jack Gibbons of OCAA, Shawn-Patrick Stensil of Greenpeace, and others. Free.
https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/university-of-toronto-energy-fair-nuclear-panel-discussion-tickets-14251152581

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Liz Marshall on her emergence into vegan consciousness
and how she came to make ground-breaking AR documentary film The Ghosts in our Machine
Thur. Nov. 20, 7 - 9 p.m.
OISE, 252 Bloor St. W. room 2281
http://animalrightsacademy.org/lecture-schedule/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Discussion of This Changes Everything
Thursday, Nov. 20, 6:45 - 8:45pm
Community Centre 55, 97 Main St.
Naomi Klein’s prizewinning new book on climate change is gaining praise and provoking controversy among all those concerned with the environment. The Canadian writer and activist presents a vision of a movement to end our national petroleum addiction, develop a renewable energy economy, and halt global climate change. Come to talk about these issues at an introductory discussion of Naomi Klein's book, This Changes Everything: Capitalism vs. The Climate. Everyone welcome. Sponsored by East End Against Line 9
http://tcan.ca/event/discussion-changes-everything

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Orchestrating Austerity
Thursday, Nov. 20, 7pm
Tranzac Club, 292 Brunswick Ave.
Edited by Donna Baines and Stephen McBride.
The economic stimulus which followed the 2007-08 global financial crisis have been succeeded by what we now call "austerity" measures -- characterized by a renewed assault on public spending and further restructuring of social and labour market policies., Claiming no viable alternatives exist, neoliberal politicians are selling austerity to the public as a virtuous necessity in the face of government deficits. With insights and inspirational stories of resistance, from a range of scholars, as well as labour organizers and activists, Orchestrating Austerity tries to determine if there is something new in this era of austerity or if it is a continuation and intensification of earlier forms of neoliberalism.
fernwoodpublishing.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Girl Rising
Thur. Nov. 20, 7:30 p.m.
Bloor Hot Doc, 506 Bloor W. (at Bathurst)
Screening of the documentary about the power of education to celebrate the International Day of the Girl. Panel discussion, Q&A to follow screening.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Engaging In-Between Spaces - Summit on Laneways
Thursday, Nov 20, 6 - 10 pm
The Great Hall, 1087 Queen St W
Toronto has more than 2400 publicly owned laneways. Often under-used, deteriorating, and viewed as unsafe, these ‘in-between’ spaces have the potential to become an integral part of our public realm. Moderated by CBC’s Mary Wiens, 5 speakers will give short presentations on the potential of our city’s laneways:
	• How we can transform our laneways into more vibrant, safe, and people-friendly spaces.
	• Laneways as transportation corridors, green infrastructure, and community gathering spaces
	• The cultural and economic potential of laneways
Planners, designers, policy makers, artists, community organizers and laneway lovers from across the City are invited to attend. $10
http://www.thelanewayproject.ca/events

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Understanding Ingredients in Pre-packaged Food
Thur. Nov. 20, 7 - 8:30 p.m.
Big Carrot, Danforth
Talk on what food claims mean and how to shop as an informed consumer. Free.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Reel Awareness Film Festival
Thur. - Sun. Nov. 20 - 23
Carlton Cinema, 20 Carlton (at Yonge)
Amnesty International's festival of international documentaries on human rights. $10, opening night $15.
http://aito.ca/reelawareness/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Trans Day of Remembrance
Thur. Nov. 20
3 p.m. - flag raising at City Hall
4 - 6 p.m.  - film screening of Mosaic and vegan dinner, George Brown College, 200 King E, Rm. 165 B
https://www.facebook.com/events/1558622801020000
7 p.m. - 519 Church St. Community Centre https://www.facebook.com/events/602493306471492/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Is Paris Burning?
Thur. Nov. 20, 7 pm.
Alliance Française, 24 Spadina Rd,
Screening of the René Clément film in French with English subtitles. Pwyc.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

More Than Honey
Fri. Nov. 21, 6 - 9 pm.
MaRS, College and University
In the past 5 years, billions of honeybees globally have vanished for reasons still obscure. If the bees keep dying at such an alarming rate, it will trigger a global crisis: more than 1/3 of our food production depends on pollination by honeybees. Our survival is linked to theirs! Join us for a screening of award-winning documentary, More Than Honey, and a panel discussion with Dr. Amro Zayed & Melanie Coates; learn more about this phenomenon and support a local cause: The Honeybee Project at MaRS.
http://www.eventbrite.ca/e/savethebees-documentary-film-more-than-honey-tickets-13989347515

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Managing Conflict with Angry People
Fri. Nov 21
Brush up on your communication skills.
http://www.sschto.ca/event/workshop---managing-conflict-with-angry-people-nov2014

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Front Line Workers’ Forum
Friday, Nov. 21, 9:15 am – 12 noon
City Hall, 100 Queen Street West (at Bay) in Committee Room 1 (2nd floor)
These presentations will be of interest to people who use drugs and those who provide services to them, as well as to interested members of the public.
- Overdose protocols in agencies serving marginalized populations
- How effective is “AA”?
-  Recommendation by the WHO to decriminalize drug use
-  What are “study” drugs and who’s using these?
-  Phenacetin in cocaine
Everyone welcome. There is no need to register. Free. Presented by The Canadian Harm Reduction Network in cooperation with the University of Toronto, Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology.
harmreductionTO at gmail.com  -  416.433.0206

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

STOP private clinics - SAVE our local public hospitals - Giant Rally
Friday Nov. 21, 12 noon
Ontario Legislature, Queen's Park Toronto
The Ontario government is forging ahead with the most aggressive plan ever to cut and privatize community hospital services. Please join me to take action now before our community hospitals are dismantled. The government plans to contract out hospital surgeries and diagnostics to private clinics. Ontario’s hospitals have already suffered deep cuts. Out-patient services such as physiotherapy, lab tests, pain clinics, fertility clinics and more are disappearing. Instead, people are being sent to private clinics where they will be charged user fees and co-payments in violation of the Canada Health Act and the principles of public medicare in Canada. Acute care beds, chronic care beds, maternity and local care services could be cut by as much as 50 per cent, even though there is nowhere for these patients to go. If these cuts go through, you will need to drive further for care as services are removed from your hospital and centralized in one factory-like private clinic per region. It is time to stand up for public health care and our community hospitals. Add your voice for strengthened public health care in Ontario by joining with people from across the province to tell our government that community hospitals deliver the public care people need. Let's send a clear message to the Ontario government that public health care in community hospitals is what's best for our province.
www.ontariohealthcoalition.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Safe Space Now! Shelter and Housing for All!
Fri. Nov. 21
Church of the Holy Trinity, 10 Trinity Square (off Bay, behind Eatons Centre)
Join the Advocacy Centre for Tenants Ontario (ACTO -http://acto.ca/) for a National Housing Day Rally and Right to Housing Forum. Free.
noon - 1 p.m. National Housing Day Rally at Yonge-Dundas Square
https://www.facebook.com/events/353871381446314
2 - 5 p.m. Right to Housing Forum at Church of the Holy Trinity
https://acto-right2housing-forum2014.eventbrite.ca/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

What Makes A Man: White Ribbon Conference
Friday November 21, The Alumnae Theatre, 70 Berkeley Street
Saturday November 22, Glenn Gould Studio, 259 Front St West
 #WMAM2014 will be an exciting two-day discussion-focused event exploring how ideas of manhood impact us in everyday life. Open to all genders. A conversation for everyone. More than ever, we need more positive examples and role models for a healthier idea of masculinity.
https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/what-makes-a-man-2014-the-white-ribbon-conference-tickets-13378008985?ref=estw
www.whatmakesaman.org
www.whiteribbon.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Green Majority
Toronto's Environmental Radio Show
Weekly, Fridays, 11 - noon EST
CIUT 89.5FM
Listen live or catch the podcasts
This week The Green Majority is happy to present live in studio TVO's the Water Brothers, along with corespondent Tim Nash the Sustainable Economist for another clean-tech market update. Also, we have a shiny new website with a TON of new content. Finally, thanks to SoundCloud we're back on iTunes! Check it all out here: www.greenmajority.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Trotsky School  - Education for Activists Conference
Fri. Sat. November 21-22
OISE, 252 Bloor
socialistaction.ca
https://www.facebook.com/events/293255150859704/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Repair Café
Saturday, Nov. 22, 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Skills for Change, 791 St. Clair Ave. West, 2nd Floor  (see below for directions)
Free (Donations are welcome!)
At this monthly gathering, we will have volunteer fixers available for computers, electronic devices, small appliances, clothes, jewellery and book binding, among others. For whatever you need fixing, bring it on! You can learn how to fix it while enjoying a cup of coffee or tea.
http://repaircafetoronto.ca/events/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Cheap & Crazy Symposiums:  Mobilizing Strategic Conversations
with The Empowerment Council, a voice for clients of CAMH
Sat. Nov. 22, noon - 6 p.m.
1001 Queen Street West (CAMH Grounds), Community Centre Area
The purpose of this symposium is to bring people together who are interested in collaborating and having conversations about needed strategic direction for future human rights organizing in the mental health system. Bills of clients’ rights, madness, addictions, law and the future of advocacy.
416 535-8501 Ext 33013
http://ontario.cmha.ca/events/cheap-crazy-symposiums-mobilizing-strategic-conversations-november-22-2014/#.VGlL8r7lf8s

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

EcoFair at the Barns
Sunday, Nov. 23, noon - 4 pm
Artscape Wychwood Barns, 601 Christie Street
EcoFair at the Barns is a fun, family-oriented event that informs and inspires people to make greener choices in their homes and communities.
	• Eco exhibits, interactive demos and workshops
	• Skate swap and eco-themed book swap
	• Electric car test drives
	• Kids activities
	• Good food!
http://ecofairtoronto.org/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Dance Theatre: Bombing Instead of Negotiating
Sunday, Nov. 23, 3 - 5 pm
Beit Zatoun, 612 Markham (at Bloor)
$ 10/PWYC
A Bread and Puppet production. The Lubberland National Dance Company was formed 10 years ago with the help of local volunteers as an urgent dance revolt against unbearable new of circumstance and is the revival of the “Gruppe Fuer Neuen Tanz” which Peter Schumann founded 60 years ago in Munich, Germany. The dances are created from simple instructions, either as a result of a short or directly as public participation dances.
http://beitzatoun.org/event/bombing-instead-of-negotiating/?mc_cid=23aa4d9c90&mc_eid=98329828f0

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

United Against Raids & Detentions: Rally in Solidarity with Migrant Detainees
Sun. Nov. 23, Meet at 2:30 pm at Christie Pits Park. Buses leave at 2:45 pm sharp.
Rally at 3:30 pm. 385 Rexdale Boulevard.
A day of joyful protest in solidarity with migrants jailed at the Toronto Immigration Holding Centre, demanding justice for migrants, refugees, and migrant workers. The Canadian immigration system is a pipeline of exclusion. Many are forced to leave their homes around the world, then are denied permanent residency and dignity here. Those of us who stay without papers are denied services. Our families are racially profiled, as we saw in the August raids enabled by the Ontario government - adding to the 100,000 people who have been deported by this government. Fearing their deportations, some like Lucia Jimenez Vega, are forced to their deaths. A report launched in June revealed that in 2013, thousands of detainees were locked up in 146 prisons across the country with no end in sight, and every year they have fewer chances of getting released. One of the biggest detention prisons in the country is right here in Toronto. So on Nov. 23rd, we gather to show our solidarity with people imprisoned and deported, with their families and our communities. We raise our voices and fists as one: No One Is Illegal! Dignity over Deportation! Worker Control Not Immigration Controls! Access Without Fear! Status for All! Struggle and Solidarity Not War and Austerity!
RSVP here: http://bit.ly/Nov23Rally
http://toronto.nooneisillegal.org/node/894

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Green Energy
Sun. Nov. 23, 12:45 pm.
Bullfrog Power presentation on how to reduce your production of greenhouse gases and what it might cost. Free.
tmm at web.net

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Cannibis Evolution and Your Health
Sun. Nov. 23, 2 p.m.
Medical Sciences Bldg, 1 King’s College Circle, JJR Macleod Auditorium, U of T
Lecture by professor Lesley Campbell. Free.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

What's the Plan for Ontario's Aging Nukes, and the Alternatives?
Mon. Nov. 24, 7 - 9 p.m.
Metro Hall (King and John St.), Rm. 310
Did you know Ontario plans to rebuild 10 of our aging nuclear reactors, locking us into nuclear for another 4 or more decades? This will cost taxpayers upwards of $60 billion, to say nothing of the radioactive waste and risk of catastrophic accident on one of our Great Lakes. Did anyone ever ask you if you'd rather your $$ go to a renewable future? Conservation, water power, wind, solar, geothermal, biomass, biogas - the options are endless, more affordable, and infinitely safer. Join Angela Bischoff and Jack Gibbons of the Ontario Clean Air Alliance to find out more, ask questions, and learn how you can get involved. Free.
www.cleanairalliance.org
https://www.facebook.com/events/858797924139021/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Hot Docs
Bloor Cinema (Bloor and Bathurst)
http://bloorcinema.com/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

NOW magazine hosts a very comprehensive online events listing
http://nowtoronto.com/search/event/community-events/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
http://www.greenspiration.org
Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in