T.O. Greenspiration Events: Blessings of the Season

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Sun Dec 7 22:58:50 EST 2014

T.O. Greenspiration Events
Friends, I’m heading home for the holidays so this will be my last Greenspiration list for the month.
I have bicycle wall calendars again this year for sale ($10 + $2 postage). If interested, send me a cheque to 100 Lower Ossington Ave, #809, Toronto M5J 0A7
Blessings of the season…
- angela

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

9 good reasons why we need a public review of a Bruce Nuclear deal
The Ontario Power Authority and Bruce Power are secretly negotiating a multi-billion dollar deal to rebuild four aging reactors at the Bruce B Nuclear Station. Here are 9 good reasons why Premier Kathleen Wynne should send any agreement to the Ontario Energy Board (OEB) for a full public review. http://cleanairalliance.org/bruce-oeb
Please send Premier Wynne a message here. http://cleanairalliance.org/bruce-oeb-letter

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Climate Emergency Countdown
31 min. video by Glenn MacIntosh, EcoSanity.
Everything you need to know about climate change - the science, the politics, the consequences.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtwMheOOJzs&feature=youtu.be

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Tell Mayor Tory to keep his promises
During the election campaign, Mayor Tory committed to acting on many of the key environmental issues in our Green Action Agenda. Now it’s time to remind him to keep his promises and to let him know we will support his efforts to build A Greener City for All.
http://www.123contactform.com/form-1210598/GAA-Form-Letter-Mayor-Tory

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Ask Ontario to consider ALL climate impacts of Energy East
Please sign the petition; http://action.environmentaldefence.ca/p/dia/action3/common/public/?action_KEY=12093

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Which industry employs more Canadians? The oilsands or clean energy?
Guess again. Employment in Canada's clean energy sector has jumped 37 per cent in the past five years, says a new report from the think tank Clean Energy Canada, and now exceeds employment in the oilsands.
http://cleanenergycanada.org/2014/12/02/tracking-the-energy-revolution-canada/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Pittsburgh is doing bike lanes - why?
Supportive Mayor, Councillors and business community. Take that Toronto.
http://grist.org/cities/yinz-heard-about-pittsburghs-new-protected-bike-lanes/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

On the 12th Anniversary of the Grassy Narrows Blockade, We, the Women of Grassy Narrows Make a Statement
http://us8.campaign-archive1.com/?u=b32d0dbc1106ec6cfdd624d64&id=1f78c9dcc5&e=fd6ed5fec8

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Dandyhorse - Toronto on 2 wheels
Sign up for the dandy newsletter here: http://dandyhorsemagazine.com/newsletter/
And the dandy blog here: http://dandyhorsemagazine.com/blog/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Need a Job?
4 of 5 months of work for an environmental activist with experience with databases and online organizing systems (or someone with passion and enough attention to detail). They must be between 15-30 years old, legally able to work in Canada, and not currently receiving employment insurance. They’ll be paid 16$ an hour, preferably live in Toronto, and able to start immediately. Interested? Call Graham: 613-710-2819

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Canada needs a proportional-representation voting system to better reflect the political preferences of Canadians.  Sign the NDP's petition:  http://petition.ndp.ca/demand-that-your-vote-count

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

All I Want for Christmas is Mining Justice
http://bit.ly/1wPSwSP

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Discussion Group: This Changes Everything
Monday, Dec. 8, 7 - 9 p.m.
St. Michael & All Angels Church (SE corner of St. Clair and Wychwood, enter from Wychwood through wooden gates, Upper Room on 2nd floor).
Please join us for the launch of a Discussion Group on Naomi Klein’s new book, This Changes Everything . For our first meeting on Dec. 8, we’ll focus on the Introduction and Chapters 1 and 2. We’ll also decide on plans and readings for future meetings.
www.gn21.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Tell’em on Tuesday: TPA Public Consultation on Jets
Tuesday, December 9, 6:30 p.m.
Metro Toronto Convention Centre, 255 Front Street West
It's all hands on deck for NoJetsTO: the Port Authority is hosting its first public consultation for its airport expansion study and we need you to be there. City Council has mandated the TPA to perform an environmental assessment without any detailed requirements. To make sure it's a proper process, we need your presence and input as the terms of the study are set. Together we can deliver a strong message against jets and any attempts to whitewash the dangerous expansion plans. Porter has stacked public consultations before with employees, so let's not take any chances. RSVP here. After the public consultation, join NoJetsTO for a pre-holiday get-together at the Amsterdam Brewery, 245 Queens Quay West.
http://www.nojetsto.ca/tpa-public-consultation/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Winter Preparedness
Tues. Dec. 9, 7 - 8 p.m.
Annette Library, 145 Annette
Workshop on energy conservation, winter emergency preparedness and Toronto Hydro's Home Assistance Program. Free.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

What now? Changing our culture of sexual violence and silence
Tues. Dec. 9, 7:30 p.m.
Gladstone Hotel, 1214 Queen St. W.
Panel discussion. $12.
http://www.afterschooltoronto.com/upcoming-events/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Cuban Five – Political Prisoners of the Empire
Wednesday, December 10, 2014 @ 6:30 pm - 9:00 pm
Beit Zatoun, 612 Markham (Bloor and Bathurst)
$5 donation
Why their human rights are denied?
http://beitzatoun.org/event/cuban-five-political-prisoners-of-the-empire/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Race, Gender and Democracy in Toronto
Wed. Dec. 10, 5:30 – 8 pm
2 Carlton Street
The 2014 Municipal Election: Reflections from a Human Rights Perspective - Public Forum.
http://www.eventbrite.ca/e/public-forum-race-gender-and-democracy-in-toronto-tickets-14637839171

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

EcoBunk
Wed. Dec. 10, 7 p.m., show starts at 8 p.m.
Lula Lounge, 1585 Dundas St. West
Since 1990, Torontonians have come to the Toronto Environmental Alliance’s (TEA) EcoBunk, an annual comedy show and fundraiser, to poke fun at the most outrageous corporate green advertising of the past year. $50
http://www.torontoenvironment.org/ecobunk2014

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Deck the Headquarters: A Holly Jolly Verdict Delivery
Wed. Dec. 10, 12:30 pm
King and University Avenue
The jury is in, and its official: Canadian mining companies have been way worse than naughty this year. On December 10, International Human Rights Day and the day the verdict from the Permanent People's Tribunal on the Canadian Mining Industry will be officially released, come sing classic carols (with a mining justice twist!) and deliver the verdict and lumps of coal to Toronto-based companies Goldcorp, Barrick Gold, and Excellon Resources. Meet members of the Mining Injustice Solidarity Network (MISN) at 12:30pm on the north-east corner of King and University, near St Andrew Station (which has elevators). Just look for the Santas! We will walk to Goldcorp’s headquarters (130 Adelaide St W), then Barrick Gold’s (161 Bay St) finishing at Excellon Resources 20 Victoria St) by 2 pm. Bring your singing voice, bells and instruments (if you want), and a festive spirit of justice!
www.mininginjustice.org

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Idle No More Toronto Round Dance
Wednesday Dec. 10, 1:15–1:45 pm
Yonge and Dundas Square
Calling all hand drummers and those who want to round dance! To celebrate INM 2nd anniversary we want to remember the homeless who will struggle to survive through a cold winter. Toronto Grassroots Outreach activists (GO) will be there to say a few words about their outreach work to the Toronto homeless. Idle No More Toronto is calling for donations of male & female items of socks, gloves, hats and scarves that will be handed out to the homeless this winter by the Grassroots Outreach activists.
https://www.facebook.com/events/380497752109325/?source=1

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Liveable Cities: NYC-Toronto Growing Green
Wed. Dec. 10, 4 - 5 p.m.
University College, 15 King’s College Circle, Room 179.
Lecture with James Kaechele of the New York Tree Trust on building a greener city. Free.
yourleaf.org/liveable-cities/dec10

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Perception and Reality of ‘Imported Conflict’ in Canada
Thursday, December 11, 7 - 9 p.m.
Beit Zatoun, 612 Markham (Bloor and Bathurst)
In a time of heightened talk and fears of “home-grown terror” in Canada, we look to the study entitled The Perception & Reality of “Imported Conflict” in Canada released by The Mosiac Institute for some insight and guidance. $5
http://beitzatoun.org/event/the-perception-and-reality-of-imported-conflict-in-canada/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Day of action for more service, lower fares
Thursday, Dec.11, 9.30 am – noon
97 Front St West
We need your help to make sure the Union Pearson line is electrified, has lower fares, and more stops. On December 11, Metrolinx and the Province will be deciding the fare price of our new 23km-long Union Pearson train line. That’s less than 30 days away! It could cost an outrageous $20 to $30 to ride the train, making it completely unaffordable. Metrolinx will also be announcing a new timeline for electrification at its next December 11 meeting.
www.ttcriders.ca

And sign the petition for lower fares, more stops, and clean trains on the Union Pearson train line
https://www.change.org/p/lower-the-fares-on-the-union-pearson-train-line

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

CSI Holiday Pop Up Market
Thur. December 11, 2 - 10 pm
CSI Annex - ground floor, 720 Bathurst st (near Bloor)
CSI Pop Up Markets are an opportunity for Toronto’s artists, entrepreneurs, and social enterprises to convene and showcase their goods and work for the city to see. From toys that teach empathy to handmade jewelry to upcycled household products, the CSI Pop Up Market is your window into a world of ethical and sustainable products – all while supporting the local scene. Free.
socialinnovation.ca/popups

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The ecological impact of industrial livestock operations and sustainable vegan solutions
Thur. Dec. 11, 7 - 9 p.m.
OISE, 252 Bloor St. W. room 2281
http://animalrightsacademy.org/lecture-schedule/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The German Energiewende: Energy Transformation
Fri. Dec. 12, 11:30 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Ryerson U, 297 Victoria St, 7th floor
Germany is engaged in the most ambitious energy transformation of any major industrial nation — a move to renewable energy and hyper-efficiency. Free.
http://bit.ly/1wPJx3S

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Partners in Crime: The Mexican state, North American Capitalism, and the 43 Missing Students
Friday, December 12, 7pm
Beit Zatoun, 612 Markham St. (near Bloor and Bathurst)
On September 26th 2014, over 100 students from a rural teacher’s college were passing through the nearby town of Iguala in Guerrero en route to a demonstration in Mexico City. Three were killed along with three bystanders and 43 are still missing. The families of the students continue to demand that their children be returned alive. The search for the students has unearthed a number of mass graves and has lead to an eruption of protests across the country. The parents of the missing students have traveled throughout the country meeting with communities that have also experienced killings and disappearances. The family insists it was not simply a local occurrence but something that happens in many places, and that the responsibility lies with the state. Panel presentation.
https://www.facebook.com/events/1524589741151867

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Poetic Justice: What's Your Creation Story?
Fri. Dec. 12, 7 - 10 p.m.
St. Simon’s Church, 525 Bloor E. (3 minute walk from Sherbourne Station)
A night of p o e t r y / s p o k e n w o r d / m u s i c / d a n c e / m o r e, exploring themes of social and environmental justice. What do you care about? What makes you come alive? What kind of world do you envision for the future?  We invite you to share your story through this Open Mic! For all interested artists and performers, please e-mail Mike at: ziyuanf at yorku.ca  Come by, grab a snack, and learn more about Conscious Minds Camp - a camp by and for youth who want a resilient, healthy, and equitable future. Free food.  Pay-what-you-can
https://www.facebook.com/events/1521403144774541/?notif_t=plan_user_joined

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

We Can’t Breathe - Eric Garner Solidarity Action & March
Sat. Dec. 13, noon
Nathan Phillips Square (Queen and Bay)
Once again, another black life is taken in state-sanctioned violence. Eric Garner was mercilessly murdered by the NYPD, and a grand jury believes that his death does not even warrant a trial (even with multiple video footage as proof). Join a global movement of Black folks & allies rallying for an end to state-sanctioned violence against Black bodies. This action will focus on our local stories of how anti-black violence and police brutality affect communities and individuals in Toronto. We invite black folks to share their stories to us on twitter with #AliveWhileBlackTO. Our stories will be the narrative that will capture this entire action. This action is coordinated by the Black Lives Matter Toronto Coalition.
https://www.facebook.com/events/1405592546398541/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Book Launch: Love and Resistance
Sunday, December 14, 2 - 4 pm
Beit Zatoun, 612 Markham (at Bloor)
A new poetry collection by Theresa Wolfwood, a Canadian writer, activist and artist. Her life is dedicated to the causes of peace and social justice through organizing, writing, and creating the art of resistance. By Donation.
http://beitzatoun.org/event/book-launch-love-and-resistance-by-theresa-wolfwood/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Confronting Apartheids, Challenging Racisms, Building Solidarity: Palestine, Canada, Ferguson, South Africa
Sunday, Dec. 14, 3 - 6 p.m.
Steelworkers Hall, 25 Cecil Street (near College and Spadina)
Join the Coalition Against Israeli Apartheid (CAIA) for a public forum to mark annual International Human Rights Day where we will critically address key issues of injustice that have prevailed over the past year. Through a film screening and speakers panel, the year will be examined through the lens of confronting apartheids and racisms while also connecting across forms of popular resistance and global solidarity movements. From the Israeli state massacre in Gaza last summer, to the resurgence of Islamophobia and "anti-terrorism" laws after the October shooting on Parliament Hill in Ottawa, to the non-indictment of the police officer responsible for the murder of Michael Brown in Ferguson it is increasingly urgent to share analysis, make connections across these events, understand the histories they are located in, and to build effective and collective ties for solidarity and change.
https://www.facebook.com/events/685801651517137/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Vegan Wine and Food Pairing with a Vine Romance
Sun. Dec 14, 5:30 p.m.
Yamchops, 705 College
Cocktail style tasting from a vegan-certified winery and vegan canapés from Toronto's 1st vegetarian 'butcher' shop. $50.
http://www.eventbrite.ca/e/a-vegan-wine-food-pairing-evening-with-a-vine-romance-tickets-14532050755?aff=es2&rank=1

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Green Drinks Toronto
Wed. Dec. 17, 6 - 8 pm
Grace O'Malleys, 14 Duncan St. (near King and John)
A jovial mix of environmental professionals and Torontonians interested in the environment + a few pints (or non-alcoholic bevvies!) = A relaxed and agenda-free evening of enviro-meeting and greeting.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2350796957/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Fight Back: Sex Workers Respond to C36
Wed. Dec. 17, 6:30 – 9 pm
Queen West Community Health Centre, 168 Bathurst St.
December 6th, 2014 marks the date that Bill C-36 becomes law. This Bill was introduced by the Harper government in response to the unanimous supreme court decision that deemed the contested prostitution related provisions as
unconstitutional as they create more harms to sex workers and those that love them.  This year on December 17th International Day to End Violence Against Sex Workers we are recognizing the violence that will be recreated and that will increase state violence and cost more sex workers lives. Come learn more about C36 and how we can continue to support and protect one another under a criminalized system. This event is open to sex workers, allies, and community workers.
For more information contact: Jean at maggiescoord at gmail.com or Arlene Pitts at apitts at srchc.com
To donate: https://www.canadahelps.org/en/charities/maggies-toronto-sex-workers-action-project/
earmark C36 working group

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Misanthropy vs. vegan humanism, thoughts on the mass extinction of species and human responsibility, and the fate of future of the world
Thur. Dec. 18, 7 - 9 p.m.
OISE, 252 Bloor St. W. room 2281
with Paul York and Vittoria Lion.
http://animalrightsacademy.org/lecture-schedule/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Festival of Lights - Kensington Winter Solstice Festival
Sun. Dec. 21, 7 - 10 p.m.
Kensington Market - begin at the corner of Oxford and Augusta, end in the park on Augusta
Free, non-profit, hand made and commercial free since 198!

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Peace 21
Sun. Dec. 21, 2 p.m.
Metro Hall Rotunda (King and John)
Join us for our annual Winter Solstice celebration for World Peace
http://peace-the-21st.org

Hot Docs
Bloor Cinema (Bloor and Bathurst)
http://bloorcinema.com/

NOW magazine hosts a very comprehensive online events listing
https://nowtoronto.com/search/event/community-events/