T.O. Greenspiration Events: Hot Stuff

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Mon Feb 15 23:08:29 EST 2016

---------------------------------------

Please send a message to the Provincial Government and Metrolinx calling for the Union Pearson train to be turned into a mass transit line for Toronto.
https://www.change.org/p/give-us-ttc-fares-on-the-union-pearson-train-line

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Over 70 groups urge Justin Trudeau to reject new pipelines
More than 70 North American groups are urging Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Canada’s premiers to turn away from new pipeline and fossil fuel projects in order to meet the country’s international climate change commitments.
http://www.nationalobserver.com/2016/01/27/news/over-70-groups-urge-justin-trudeau-reject-new-pipelines

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

10 Things They Won't Tell You About The Flint Water Tragedy. But I Will.
Here are ten things that you probably did not know about the crisis because the media can only process so much. Read about how the greater public has only been told the bare minimum of what has happened in Flint from a Michigan resident.
http://michaelmoore.com/10FactsOnFlint/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Stop The Great Lakes Nuclear Dump Delivers 184 Resolutions to Minister Catherine McKenna
The Great Lakes Nuclear Dump delivers 184 resolutions representing 22 million people to Minister of Environment and Climate Change McKenna, Prime Minister Trudeau and the Federal Cabinet. Delivery of the resolutions follows the January 19th submission to Minister McKenna of the Stop The Great Lakes Nuclear Dump petition signed by over 92,000 people opposing OPG’s plan.
bit.ly/1StHwVQ

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

10 nuclear rebuilds for Ontario, or water power from Quebec?
Don’t let the nuclear elephant crush renewable power in Ontario! You can win an energy kit. Vote now.
http://www.cleanairalliance.org/choice/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Great Bear Rainforest agreement creates 'a gift to the world’
An area bigger than Vancouver Island is now under complete protection from industrial logging.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/great-bear-rainforest-bc-agreement-1.3426034

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Ottawa Shootings that Led to Bill C-51: Why Is the Government Not Interested in Solving the Crime?
Tues. Feb, 16, 7 pm
Beit Zatoun, 612 Markham St. (1 street west of Bathurst TTC station)
Graeme MacQueen, Director of the Centre for Peace Studies at McMaster and author of "The 2001 Anthrax Deception”, speaks about how Bill C-51 has jeopardized the civil rights of Canadian citizens.
http://beitzatoun.org/event/the-ottawa-shootings-that-led-to-bill-c-51/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Hot Stuff
Tues. Feb. 16, 7:30 – 9:30 p.m.
Supermarket, 268 Augusta (Kensington Mkt)
The planet is heating up - hot hot hot and that's bad bad bad! Let's keep it hot in our dating lives and cool on the planet! For the Valentine's Day edition, 416 Dating Stories is taking your money and donating it to Toronto350.org.
https://www.facebook.com/events/806916219413262/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Restoring our Relationship with Indigenous Peoples
Tues. Feb. 16, 10 a.m. - noon
Carlton Cinema, 20 Carlton
Canadian Perspectives Lecture Series presents a talk by Joelle Morgan. $15.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Requiem for the American Dream: The Definitive Noam Chomsky
Tues. Feb. 16, 9 p.m.
Bloor Hot Docs (Bloor and Bathurst)
Widely regarded as one of the most important thinkers alive, Chomsky takes on the unprecedented level of inequality gripping the U.S. with his signature cool and devastating intellectual power.
http://boxoffice.hotdocs.ca/WebSales/pages/info.aspx?evtinfo=46069~fff311b7-cdad-4e14-9ae4-a9905e1b9cb0&

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Animal Rights Academy
A free university lecture series on animal rights philosophy and related readings.
Tuesdays 7-9 pm, U of T
Please check the lecture schedule for full details. Also, videos of past lectures are archived here.
http://animalrightsacademy.org/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Open New Emergency Shelters Now
Wed. Feb. 17, 11 am
Queen and Sherbourne
Soup Provided. Anyone who tries to find a bed within the Toronto homeless shelter system is fully aware that it is in a crisis of overcrowding. During the week of January 18, OCAP members and allies visited the City warming centres and interfaith Out of the Cold shelters that function as a back up for the overloaded system. We spoke to people using these places and volunteers in them. What we found more than confirmed our worst fears. People are being packed into spaces that, despite the best efforts of those running them, are unable to meet the need. The facilities are inadequate, the demand for them is too great, and people are being turned away.
ocap.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Radioactive Roads: Transportation of High Level Nuclear Waste
Thursday, Feb. 18, 12 - 1 p.m. EST
Webinar with Brennain Lloyd of Northwatch. She will provide an introduction to the transportation of nuclear waste, sharing international analysis and outlining possible routes and potential hazards for the shipment of high level radioactive waste in Canada.
https://www.anymeeting.com/AccountManager/RegEv.aspx?PIID=EC53D98281463A

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Gentrification: Talking About Social Justice
Thur. Feb. 18, 6 pm
St Luke's United Church, 353 Sherbourne
Join OCAP for a new speaking series on topics central to organizing around poor peoples' issues. This month's topic looks at how and why poor people are pushed out of neighbourhoods. Free. Snacks, childcare, wheelchair access & tokens provided.
ocap.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Meet Dianne Saxe, The New Environmental Commissioner of Ontario (ECO)
Thurs. Feb. 18, 5 - 6 pm
Centre for Social Innovation, 215 Spadina Avenue (Ground Floor Connector)
This is your chance to meet Ontario’s new Environmental Commissioner Dianne Saxe, in an informal after-work setting! Dianne is looking forward to this opportunity to connect with old and new friends in the environmental community, and welcomes not only staff and volunteers of environmental groups, but also board members.
http://us4.campaign-archive1.com/?u=75269a84af55792a8e18fa98a&id=c2323a34da&e=5c42f3a4c2

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Sprawl Brawl Round 2: Transit vs. Highways
Thur. Feb. 18, 7 p.m.
Innis Town Hall, 2 Sussex, U of T
Join us for an evening of lively discussion about what's the best use of transportation dollars to relieve traffic congestion in the GTHA? How do pending provincial decisions about the shape and growth of our cities impact what is possible for public transit? Journalist John Lorinc referees a debate with panelists Pamela Blais (Metropole Consultants); Cherise Burda (Ryerson City Building Institute); Carol Layton, former Deputy Minister, Ontario Ministry of Transportation; Ed Levy, Transportation Planner. Free.
http://environmentaldefence.ca/sprawl-brawl-round-two-what’s-cure-gridlock-in-gtha-transit-vs-highways

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Bill C-51: What does it mean for you and Canada?
Fri. Feb. 19, 6:30 p.m.
Reference Library, 789 Yonge, Hinton Learning Theatre (3rd floor)
Talk by veteran investigative reporter Andrew Mitrovica. Free.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Organic: A Solution That Works
Saturday, Feb. 20, 9 - 5 pm
U of T Conference Centre, 89 Chestnut St.
Join us for a day of discovery and inspiration at Toronto’s largest, most diverse gathering of people committed to, or curious about, organic food.
www.cogtoronto.org.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

This Changes Everything
Sunday, Feb. 21, noon
Humbercrest United Church (West Hall), 16 Baby Point Road
Free screening of This Changes Everything, inspired by Naomi Klein’s international non-fiction bestseller, and directed by Avi Lewis. The powerful portraits of seven frontline communities illustrate the consequences of excessive greenhouse gas emissions in the air, and of the economic system that put them there.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

PR Campaign 101 and Unpacking Ranked Ballots
Webinar with Fair Vote Canada
Sun. Feb. 21, 7 - 9 p.m. EST
https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/8389464307873379841

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Shape My City Events
http://shapemycity.ca/events.php

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Beit Zatoun Events
http://beitzatoun.org/events/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Hot Docs
Bloor Cinema (Bloor and Bathurst)
http://bloorcinema.com/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

NOW magazine hosts a very comprehensive online events listing
https://nowtoronto.com/search/event/community-events/

Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in.
Likewise to unsubscribe.
Or manage your subscription here: