No Nukes News: Oh No On-tory-o

Angela Bischoff angela at cleanairalliance.org
Mon Jul 23 11:38:38 EDT 2018

July 23, 2018☢ Ford needs a real plan to lower electricity bills Our new report outlines how Ford could reduce electricity bills, as he's promised -- by replacing Ontario’s high-cost nuclear energy projects. Doing so could save Ontario electricity consumers anywhere from $1.1 to $5.7 billion per year. QC has massive surplus renewable power and is offering it to us at a fraction of the cost of rebuilding and extending our aging nukes.

Ontario

☢ Pickering's nuclear waste problem just got bigger Some 760,000 fuel bundles containing radioactive isotopes are sitting at Pickering, the legacy of close to 50 years of nuclear operations, and there is nowhere for the waste to go. Our editorial in NOW Magazine. And here’s our piece in the Durham Region.

☢ Pickering Nuclear’s huge radioactive waste problem Pickering has a serious nuclear waste problem - 16,000 tonnes of high level nuke waste, and enough plutonium to construct more than 11,000 nuclear warheads. Read our new report commissioned by international risk expert Dr. Gordon Thompson.

☢ Playing politics with Pickering nuclear in no one’s best interest The Pickering nuclear plant will close sooner rather than later. Are we ready to transition the plant’s workers to a post-nuclear reality? By Greenpeace.The World

☢ Scientists assessed the options for growing nuclear power. They are grim Nuclear's current trajectory is on the decline. Renewable energy is winning on the economics.

☢ These 15 U.S. Cities Are Most at Risk of Experiencing a Nuclear Meltdown But none of them are anywhere near to the population density surrounding the 6-reactor Pickering Nuclear Station which is surrounded by 2.2 million people (within 30 kms)

☢ Semi truck transporting radioactive material catches fire Last week’s fire of a tractor-trailer in Utah hauling radioactive dirt shows just how dangerous roadways stand to be because of the transport and storage of nuclear waste.

☢ While the world goes renewable, New Brunswick wants another nuclear reactor Canada’s tax money is in danger of being squandered, and we'll be left with ever more radioactive waste and contaminated sites, while missing out on the much more promising renewable energy options.

☢ White nuclear elephants move onto the endangered list Now that nuclear power is recognised as not economically viable, a select body of experts have come up with a plan for the future of the UK’s infrastructure - it excludes nuclear and calls for renewables and conservation.

☢ Proposed US coal and nuclear power plant bailout could exceed $34 billion in new costs on taxpayers or consumers

☢ Imprisoned, poisoned, tortured for standing up against uranium mining and the poison it spreads in the Congo. Hear Misabiko in his own words here. And watch Atomic Africa : Clean energy's dirty secrets (52 min. doc.)

☢ Uranium Film Festival Shorts Since 2011, this international film festival has shown films around the world about the risks of radioactivity and uranium mining on First Nations territories. Watch 11 of this year’s shorts here.

☢ 8 surprising facts about the nuclear arms race By the Bulletin of the Atomic ScientistsRenewables and Conservation

☼ Ontario government cancels 758 renewable energy contracts exposing Ontario to significant financial risk, law suits, loss of jobs and economic activity, and environmental damage.

☼ Ford government's plan to cancel wind project could cost taxpayers over $100M The project has been in the works for nearly a decade. Many other wind projects were also cancelled. More details here.

☼ Ontario’s Clean Energy Rollback Continues as It Cuts EV Program Weeks after swearing in, the PC’s have committed to pulling out of the Cap and Trade climate program, in which companies have invested $2.1B; cancelled the Electric Vehicle program; shut down energy efficiency programs; and cancelled 758+ renewable energy contracts.

☼ How the Tories hope to avoid an energy scandal According to the Fraser Institute, ON Queen’s Park has the power to break a contract (ie. wind or solar) through new legislation just by specifying that the ON gov't is not liable for costs or harms caused by breaking the contract, leaving the feds liable.

☼ Unprecedented Political Consensus On Renewable Energy Initiative In Denmark The green plan agreed to by all parties will achieve 100% renewable electricity by 2030.

☼ 5 Solar Technologies Changing the Energy Landscape Solar-powered billboards; storage; tracking mounts; skins; wearable.Take Action!☢ Sign our petitions to Close Pickering and to Buy Quebec Power. And share them with your friends. Watch our 2 min. video here.☢ Can you spare a few hours to leaflet blitz your neighbourhood mailboxes? Help us make the closure of the Pickering nuclear station a public issue. Contact: angela at cleanairalliance.org☢ Support Saugeen Ojibway Nation's right to prior consent on the Bruce nuclear rebuild Petition opposing the Bruce nuclear rebuild.

☢ Stop OPG's  Nuclear Waste Dump Before It's Too Late Learn more about OPG’s nuke waste dump proposal in Kincardine, ON, and write Minister McKenna, Premier Wynne and PM Trudeau here.

☢ Tell the Japanese government: don’t dump nuclear waste into the ocean Petition

☢ Order your free KI (anti-thyroid-cancer) pills here if you live within 50 km of an ON nuclear facility - that includes all of Toronto and beyond. Download your anti-thyroid cancer posters here to post in your office, school, or local cafe.Events☢ Renewable Energy Summit: Powering our response to global warming Wed. July 25, Toronto Friend’s House, 6:30 – 9:30 p.m. I’ll be speaking on why nuclear power in ON is hampering green energy. Free.

☢ A conversation with Ontario climate leaders about Ontario's policy options Webinar Wed. July 25, 4 p.m. The past month has brought many changes to our province’s climate and clean energy policy with the announced cancellation of cap and trade, 768 renewable energy contracts, and the Green Ontario Fund. What happens now?

☢ Hiroshima Nagasaki Day Commemorations Mon. Aug. 6, 4:30 p.m. tables, 6:30 ceremony, 8:40 lantern ceremony at Toronto City Hall Peace Garden (Queen and Bay)

☢ No War 2018: designing a world beyond war, legalizing peace Toronto Sept. 21-22
 follow on Twitter | friend on Facebook | forward to a friend

You are subscribed to the No Nuke News list published by the Ontario Clean Air Alliance.
Our mailing address is: Ontario Clean Air Alliance160 John St, #300Toronto, On M5V 2E5 Canada
Add us to your address book