No Nukes News: Quebec is keen

Angela Bischoff angela at cleanairalliance.org
Wed Oct 3 13:29:32 EDT 2018

Oct. 3, 2018☢ Let’s make every Pickering worker a millionaire The fact is that by replacing the power from Pickering (that Ontarians currently use) with low-cost water power from Quebec, we could save so much money that we could make every Pickering worker a millionaire and still save billions on our electricity costs. Read our new report and watch our new 49 sec. video.

☢ Quebec's François Legault wants to sell energy to Doug Ford's Ontario "Of course, we have clean energy, cheap energy, compared to the nuclear, and I would like that we make our contribution and work together.”

The World

☢ A conversation with Dr. Gordon Edwards: Contemporary Issues in the Canadian nuclear industry Transcript from an extensive interview with Dr. Gordon Edwards of the Canadian Coalition for Nuclear Responsibility. Or listen to the interview here.

☢ Canada’s federal gov’t charts path on small modular reactors as questions on nuclear’s role in climate push remain The Liberal government is committing resources to creating a 'roadmap' for small modular reactors. Gordon Edwards explains here what the consequences of this are, and he calls for a national public inquiry into the risks and benefits of nuclear technology.

☢ The Case Against Nuclear Power: Radiation and harm to human health Humans cannot see, feel, taste, smell or hear ionizing radiation, yet it can damage our health. Since there is no safe dose, any additional exposure above natural background radiation will increase the risk of otherwise preventable illness. Women, children and pregnancy are particularly at risk.

☢ Water stored at Fukushima nuclear plant still radioactive The operator of Japan’s wrecked Fukushima nuclear plant said that much of the radioactive water stored at the plant isn’t clean enough and needs further treatment if it is to be released into the ocean. Read Gordon Edward’s backgrounder to this issue.

☢ Testimony from Fukushima residents about how the health of their children was compromised.

☢ Plutonium and Its Discontents For 75 years, scientists have been trying to devise a way to make a vast supply of radioactive and chemically dangerous waste at the Hanford Nuclear Reservation safe. The task remains unfinished.

☢ Ecomodernist selling outdated technology Nuclear power - a technology from the seventies to combat climate change? A sales trick we won’t fall for. 1 min. videoOntario

☢ Ontario’s Rising Electricity Rates: The Role of Nuclear Power This factsheet looks at how nuclear power has had by far the largest impact on Ontario’s rising electricity rates. It finds that prices for nuclear power have risen by 56-91% since 2002 and are now many times higher than the market price of electricity in the province.

☢ Region wants EA before Pickering decommissioning A number of regional councillors are demanding an environmental assessment come before the planned decommissioning of Pickering nuclear station in 2024. Durham asked for compensation for the storage of nuclear waste at the Darlington and Pickering stations, until there is a time when it can be stored in a permanent nuclear waste site.

☢ Ford government moves to slash Green Energy Act The move is part of Premier Doug Ford's latest round of environmental cutbacks. Federal Environment Minister Catherine McKenna said Ford was "taking action to move away from the biggest economic opportunity of the century." More here.

☢ Ontario's Cancellation Of Renewable Energy Projects Cost First Nations Jobs, Investment  "It is incredibly short-sighted and backwards looking in terms of reconciliation and local economic opportunities," he said, "not to mention reducing our emissions."Renewables and Conservation ☼ The electricity sector is being disrupted – and traditional firms can’t keep up This is due to technological innovation including the falling costs of renewables and energy storage, along with tougher environmental policies and regulatory reform.

☼ CDM mandate survives Green Energy Repeal Act The mandate for some of Ontario’s key energy and water conservation programs will remain enshrined in provincial legislation despite the dismantling of the Green Energy Act

☼ China and India lead the surge to solar energy The growth in solar has seen a corresponding collapse in the cost of panels due to improved technology and oversupply in China.

☼ Hurricane Florence crippled coal and nuclear -- while solar and wind were back the next day Two weeks after Hurricane Florence swamped North and South Carolina, thousands of residents who get power from coal-fired utilities remained without electricity. Yet solar installations were up and running the day after the storm, underscoring the urgency of shifting to renewable energy that is not only clean and reliable but more resilient.Take Action!

☢ Sign our petitions to Close Pickering and to Buy Quebec Power. And share them with your friends. Watch our 2 min. video here.☢ Support Saugeen Ojibway Nation's right to prior consent on the Bruce nuclear rebuild Petition opposing the Bruce nuclear rebuild.

☢ Stop OPG's  Nuclear Waste Dump Before It's Too Late Learn more about OPG’s nuke waste dump proposal in Kincardine, ON, and write Minister McKenna, Premier Wynne and PM Trudeau here.

☢ Tell the Japanese government: don’t dump nuclear waste into the ocean Petition

☢ Order your free KI (anti-thyroid-cancer) pills here if you live within 50 km of an ON nuclear facility - that includes all of Toronto and beyond. Download your anti-thyroid cancer posters hereto post in your office, school, or local cafe.Events

☢ ClimaCon – Canada’s largest convergence of climate heroes Oct. 11-12, York University, Toronto

☢ G'ganoonigonaa Zaagigan: The Lake Is Speaking To Us Oct. 24 – 27, Lake Huron. We are being called back to the shorelines to once again petition for the Forever Future of Lake Huron. The Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission rendered its decision to renew Bruce Power's operating licence for another 10 years. Join us as we organize our next movement towards giving Voice to the Water, our ancestor Lake Huron and support the Saugeen Ojibway Nation's right to Free Prior and Informed Consent.

☢ Planet in Focus - 19th Annual Environmental Film Festival Oct. 25 - 28

☢ Point of No Return Oct. 27, 1 pm, U of Toronto. In 2015, two Swiss pilots took on the groundbreaking feat of flying the world's first solar powered plane around the world. This film beautifully demonstrates what renewable energy has to offer for the future of air travel.

☢ International Uranium Film Festival – New Mexico, USA Nov. 29 – Dec. 7
 follow on Twitter | friend on Facebook | forward to a friend

You are subscribed to the No Nuke News list published by the Ontario Clean Air Alliance.
Our mailing address is: Ontario Clean Air Alliance160 John St, #300Toronto, On M5V 2E5 Canada
Add us to your address book