T.O. Greenspiration Events: Metamorphosis

Angela Bischoff angela at cleanairalliance.org
Sun Nov 18 22:58:37 EST 2018

We need a strong, independent Environmental Commissioner of Ontario

For over 25 years, Ontario citizens have greatly benefited from relying on the ECO (Environmental Commissioners Office) as an independent, non-partisan officer of the Legislature to hold all governments accountable for their decisions and efforts in protecting Ontarian’s vast and unparalleled environment. Who does Ford and his conservatives think they are to just dissolve it? Please sign the petition. http://www.greenprosperity.ca/eco/

For background see:

Ford ‘Silences Accountability’ by Cutting Provincial Environmental Commissioner

https://theenergymix.com/2018/11/16/ford-silences-accountability-by-cutting-provincial-environmental-commissioner/

Tell Doug Ford: no unlimited rent increases

Ontario law prohibits unlimited rent increases - but Doug Ford is ripping those protections away for new apartments. If his new law passes, rent could start to go up by hundreds - even thousands - of dollars, overnight. Add your name to demand that Doug Ford preserve our protection against unlimited overnight rent increases.

https://www.leadnow.ca/no-unlimited-rent-increases/

Oppose Ford’s $275 million handout for the rich and service cuts for everyone else

Doug Ford is cutting services you rely on. He's making housing more expensive, scraping protections for at-risk youth and gutting environmental oversight. At the same time, he's lowering taxes for the richest Ontarians. And he's not done yet. More cuts will be coming soon. Send Doug Ford and the Minister of Finance an email telling them you oppose these dangerous cuts.

https://north99.org/sign-the-petition-oppose-fords-massive-cuts-to-public-services/

_______________________

_______________________

Extinction Rebellion

Dozens arrested after climate protest blocks five London bridges. Thousands of protesters occupied bridges across the Thames over extinction crisis in huge act of peaceful civil disobedience. “Occupying the streets to bring about change as our ancestors have done before us. Only this kind of large-scale economic disruption can rapidly bring the government to the table to discuss our demands. We are prepared to risk it all for our futures.”

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/nov/17/thousands-gather-to-block-london-bridges-in-climate-rebellion

How Extreme Weather Is Shrinking the Planet

With wildfires, heat waves, and rising sea levels, large tracts of the earth are at risk of becoming uninhabitable. But the fossil-fuel industry continues its assault on the facts. By Bill McKibben

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/11/26/how-extreme-weather-is-shrinking-the-planet

_______________________

_______________________

Canadians produce three times more greenhouse gas emissions than G20 average

The analysis says, on average, each Canadian produces 22 tonnes of greenhouse gas per year – which is the highest among all G20 members and nearly three times the G20 average of eight tonnes per person. Canadians are also the highest per-capita users of energy, with emissions from both the transportation sector and buildings four times the G20 average.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-canada-found-to-produce-most-greenhouse-gas-emissions-per-person-among/?fbclid=IwAR37SNal3Ic95loPsxgJdEaVZ6FjUqfL5ytErkyKwRq1aOzGzWGTNuE7HPA

_______________________

_______________________

Tell the Immigration Minister: It’s time for Landed Status for Migrant Care Workers

They care for our mothers and our kids. Care Workers deserve permanent residency status, family unity and full rights.

http://migrantrights.ca/en/take-action/landed-status-now/

_______________________

_______________________

Call on Health Canada to investigate into glyphosate now

Health Canada used fraudulent studies written by Monsanto employees to renew the registration for Monsanto’s carcinogenic pesticide, glyphosate, for 15 years.  Health Canada: Re-open the registration of glyphosate now, and investigate into the decision to renew this registration.

https://actions.sumofus.org/a/health-canada-glyphosate-isn-t-safe-just-because-monsanto-says-so/

_______________________

_______________________

The Art of Distraction Campaign

To remind people to pay attention on our streets, “The Art of Distraction” campaign recounts tragic stories and showcases items (either real or recreated) taken from deadly collision sites on the streets of Toronto. The campaign brings attention to road safety and aims to influence safer, less distracted behaviour while on the road. The campaign is featured across multiple platforms and media until mid-December. In addition to traditional campaign elements, including standard transit shelter posters, radio, television and social media, members of the public are encouraged to visit five unique Art of Distraction installations at the following transit shelter locations:

    Victoria Park Avenue & Eglinton Square – southeast corner

    King Street West & Spadina Avenue – southwest corner

    Blue Jays Way & Front Street West – southwest corner

    Queen Street West & Augusta Avenue – southwest corner

    College Street & McCaul Street – southwest corner

The installations at these locations display items found in the aftermath of collisions between distracted drivers, pedestrians and cyclists. These artifacts are accompanied by cards that identify the item and tell stories of tragedy, loss and grief.

https://www.toronto.ca/services-payments/streets-parking-transportation/road-safety/vision-zero/educational-campaigns/the-art-of-distraction-campaign/?fbclid=IwAR1QPMv2fw4HNOkT-whV_6eDV3rem6G9xhH4N_NPE4Bhxykopkszss3oVYc

_______________________

_______________________

Grow Without a Garden: 101 Plants for Containers

This illustrated book makes food growing easy for urban gardeners, with profiles of 101 crops to grow in containers and small spaces. This is a Toronto-based guide by a local gardener/ educator /artist. Buy your book in advance.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1563114815/grow-without-a-garden-101-plants-for-containers?ref=nav_search&result=project&term=grow%20without%20a%20garden

_______________________

_______________________

Part-time Jobs Posting - Community Animators

Toronto Green Community, Climatefast, and Green Neighbours Network are launching a new collaborative project funded by The Atmospheric Fund. “Community Futures – Sustainable Neighbourhoods” is hiring two Community Animator part-time positions (one for each area) to expand engagement in environmental initiatives and encourage changes in attitudes and behaviors.  We are looking for a team player who is motivated to green their community. Training will be provided in facilitation and volunteer management skills.

Community Animator: Scarborough

https://www.goodwork.ca/jobs/scarborough-jobs-in-community-non-profit-organizations-49222

Community Animator:  Etobicoke

https://www.goodwork.ca/jobs/environmental-jobs-in-toronto-community-non-profit-organizations-49221

_______________________

_______________________

Getting to Work: Organizing against Climate and Labour Precarity

Mon. Nov. 19, 5 - 8 pm

Workers Action Center, 720 Spadina

Precarity is endemic in both our economy and ecology, exacerbated through a politics of austerity and climate inaction. We want to bring the labour and environment lens together for an action-oriented panel and workshop event that will focus on the most pressing labour and climate issues of our time, and through which the exchange of knowledge and skills can be transformed into collective political action. Join us to talk coalition politics and build the skills we need to organize across campus movements.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1117114425113335/

_______________________

_______________________

New Directions in Landscape Photography - part of the Endangered Landscapes Photo Exhibit

Exhibit: Nov. 12 - Dec. 24

Connections Gallery, 1840 Danforth Avenue

Since 2007, Phil Jessup has been photographing landscapes vanishing due to climate change that we can save if we take the right steps. The exhibit will feature recent images from coastal marshlands and barrier islands endangered by sea level rise that governments and NGOs are striving to conserve.

https://www.jessup.ca/

_______________________

_______________________

Pack the Queen's Park Gallery for #15andFairness

Tues. Nov. 20, 3 - 6 p.m.

Queens Park

Bill 47 will go for a final vote at the provincial legislature on Tuesday afternoon. This dangerous law will cut the minimum wage and postpone $15 for seven years, eliminate paid sick days, reduce UNPAID sick leave, as well as roll back most of our new labour rights. Fill the chamber.

https://www.facebook.com/events/255788301718447/

_______________________

_______________________

519 Trans Day of Remembrance [TDoR] - Rejoice, Relive, Remember

Tuesday, November 20, 6 - 9 pm (doors at 5)

519 Church Street Grand Ballroom (second floor) followed by a candlelight vigil in Barbara Hall Park.

November 20 is an internationally recognized day to celebrate and honour the lives of trans-identified people who have passed away due to transphobia, hate crimes, illness, substance use, suicide, or murder. The 519 will be hosting a ceremony and candlelight vigil followed by a dinner and dance to commemorate the day, honour the lives lost, and celebrate trans communities.

http://www.the519.org/events/tdor-2018

_______________________

_______________________

Equality of Power: Solutions to the Unfair Treatment of Women

Tues. Nov. 20, 7 - 8:30 p.m.

Toronto Reference Library, Beeton Hall (Bloor and Yonge)

Linda Silver Dranoff, C.M., LSM, has been a writer, thinker and activist for equality issues throughout her legal career. In her most recent book, Fairly Equal: Lawyering the Feminist Revolution, she details her own trailblazing journey from a traditional 1950s childhood to the battlegrounds of the courts of law and the halls of power where she and a generation of women lawyers, supporting a larger feminist movement, championed the rights of Canadian women and families.

https://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/detail.jsp?Entt=RDMEVT24130&R=EVT24130

_______________________

_______________________

Impact Fest

Wed. Nov. 21, 3 - 6 p.m.

CSI Annex, 720 Bathurst Street

The world is converging to advance the Global Sustainable Development Goals. Social enterprises are providing choices for you to make a positive impact on our planet. Join us and discover new products and services that put people and planet first. Social entrepreneurs will connect with companies who are interested in your product or service offering, meet new potential collaborators, mentors, co-founders, funders, volunteers, and friends! Take part in workshops, group activities, discussions and networking.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/impactfest-2018-tickets-51219770713?mc_cid=321bc1e5c7&mc_eid=262168777c&mc_cid=ac27f05fb1&mc_eid=fda7eefeb0

_______________________

_______________________

Racialized Spaces: The Black Lives Matter Movement and Environmental Justice in Canada

Wed. Nov. 21, 12:10 p.m., SS 2127, U of T

With Cheryl Teelucksingh, Professor, Department of Sociology, Ryerson University

_______________________

_______________________

The War Against the Middle East Peace

Wed. November 21, 7 pm

University College, Room 140, 15 King's College Circle, U of T

Returning from recent trips to the region, Toronto Star political columnist Martin Regg Cohn reconnects to the Middle East bureau he left behind as a foreign correspondent, when the peace process held out hope. Then as now, countries are in conflict. Today, people are at war with themselves, within their own countries. The Hundred Years War has evolved from territorial battles into internecine and sectarian strife. Not just Jews against Muslims or Christians, but all against all — not least pious versus secular. Even if the political path seems elusive, other pathways are opening up. How do Canadians connect the dots in a foreign minefield?

https://scienceforpeace.ca/events/the-war-against-the-middle-east-peace/1542826800/

_______________________

_______________________

Metamorphosis - an incredible documentary film by local film maker Velcrow Ripper

Thursday, Nov. 22, 7 pm

79 Hiawatha Rd, Neighbourhood Unitarian Universalist Congregation

A poem for the planet, Metamorphosis captures the true scale of the global environmental crisis. It shows this crisis is also an opportunity for transformation. Through a tidal flow of stunning images, Metamorphosis carves a path from the present to the future and offers a bold new vision for humanity and the world.

https://www.facebook.com/events/112350443053035/

https://www.metamorphosis.media/

_______________________

_______________________

Canadian Climate Accountability

Nov. 22, 2 - 3 p.m.

In this webinar, we will dig into some of the ambition-raising asks we’ll be making of the Canadian government as we head into COP24. Our panelists will discuss what an accountability mechanism for the Pan-Canadian Framework on Clean Growth and Climate Change might look like and how it can ensure ambition can be raised in the future. We will also explore some of the ways accountability mechanisms have been embedded in climate policy around the world.

https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/875185261733716492

http://tcan.ca/event/can-racs-webinar-workshop-series-climate-accountability-canada

_______________________

_______________________

Navigating the Housing Crisis: Training on Access to Housing for Non-Status Families

Thursday, November 22, 12:30 - 4 pm

U of T, Factor-Inwentash Faculty of Social Work, 246 Bloor Street West, 3rd Floor- Student Lounge

Please join us for our Fall Training focused on the housing crisis and how it is impacting women and families without immigration status. This will be an intersectional look at the broader context as well as specific tools and strategies to help frontline workers.

https://bit.ly/2Dxv0TE

_______________________

_______________________

National Housing Day - Parkdale Rally

Thursday, November 22, 12:30 pm

Meet at Masaryk Cowan Park; 1 pm - March to N of Queen on Brock, End 5pm.

Parkdale has had enough of the housing crisis. Let's stand in solidarity with our neighbours, those with lived experiences of homelessness, those who are being displaced through reno-victions, and those who are at risk of being displaced - let's keep people in their homes and demand deeply affordable housing be built in Parkdale now!

https://www.facebook.com/events/1877061529075522/

_______________________

_______________________

Defend Toronto - Students Stand up for Learning

Thursday Nov. 22, 7 pm

Church of the Holy Trinity, behind Eaton Centre

Our meeting will focus on the Ford takeover: what he proposes; what the impact will be; what we can do to stop it. We’ll have speakers, including city councillors, on this issue. The election is over and now is the time for us to get to work.

https://educationactiontoronto.com/

_______________________

_______________________

One of a Kind Show

Thurs Nov 22 - Mon Nov 26

Enercare Centre, Exhibition Place

https://www.oneofakindshow.com/toronto/en/index.html

_______________________

_______________________

Canadian Labour International Film Festival

Nov. 23-24

Imagine Cinemas Carlton, 20 Carlton Street

https://www.facebook.com/events/270720933545563/

_______________________

_______________________

The Truth: Lost at Sea - Film

Saturday, Nov 24, 7 pm

Friends House, 60 Lowther (at Bedford/Bloor subway)

The Truth: Lost at Sea is a film documentary that covers Israel's attack on the 2010 Freedom Flotilla to Gaza and reveals what really happened and how the story was spun in mainstream and online media. Israel stopped, boarded and killed 10 unarmed activists and wounded and imprisoned hundreds more. The director and filmmaker, Rifat Audeh, has unique insight into this event since he was aboard the Mavi Marmara and witnessed it first-hand when it was attacked. Screening is followed by conversation and Q&A with Rifat Audeh.

http://beitzatoun.org/event/film-the-truth-lost-at-sea/?mc_cid=e937516e73&mc_eid=98329828f0

_______________________

_______________________

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter

http://theenergymix.com/

_______________________

_______________________

Centre for Social Innovation Events

http://socialinnovation.ca/community/events/listing

_______________________

Hot Docs

Bloor Cinema (Bloor and Bathurst)

https://hotdocscinema.ca/

NOW magazine hosts a very comprehensive online events listing

https://nowtoronto.com/search/event/community-events/