T.O. Greenspiration Events: Extinction Rebellion

Angela Bischoff angela at cleanairalliance.org
Sun Dec 30 23:13:47 EST 2018

Blessings of the season! May 2019 bring us all great joy, peace, and progress toward sustainability.

-angela

-----------

You Are Stealing Our Future: Greta Thunberg, 15, Condemns the World’s Inaction on Climate Change

Fifteen-year-old Swedish climate activist Greta Thunberg addressed the U.N. plenary in Katowice, Poland, condemning global inaction in the face of catastrophic climate change. 4 min. video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzeekxtyFOY&feature=youtu.be

_______________________

_______________________

Extinction Rebellion

We are facing an unprecedented global emergency. The government has failed to protect us. To survive, it’s going to take everything we’ve got. Watch the 50 video recording which explains the why and what of this new, powerful movement that started in Britain and is spreading around the globe.

https://rebellion.earth/#join

_______________________

_______________________

2018 Was the Year of Europe’s War on Cars

>From Paris to Madrid, efforts to curb the use of automobiles formed a battleground across Europe.

https://www.citylab.com/environment/2018/12/gas-tax-paris-yellow-vest-car-free-cities-europe-spain/578551/?utm_source=feedburner%26utm_medium=feed%26utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheAtlanticCities+%28CityLab%29%26utm_content=FeedBurner

_______________________

_______________________

#EndBikeTheft: Our Action Plan

https://www.cycleto.ca/endbiketheft-actionplan

_______________________

_______________________

Free Willy Bill

Elizabeth May is advancing an important piece of legislation currently in the House of Commons - Bill S-203, the Ending the Captivity of Whales and Dolphins Act (also known as the Free Willy Bill). Bill S-203 will phase out keeping whales, dolphins and porpoises in captivity across Canada. Please sign the petitions in support of this bill:

https://www.greenparty.ca/en/free-willy

https://petitions.ourcommons.ca/en/Petition/Details?Petition=e-1919

_______________________

_______________________

No pipelines through Unist'ot'en land

Send a quick letter here

https://actions.sumofus.org/a/no-pipelines-through-unis-to-ten-lands

_______________________

_______________________

Know Your Drugs

Please consider making a donation to Know Your Drugs. It's a Canadian campaign to raise awareness of the dangers of prescription drugs. It's grassroots, political, and effective.

https://knowyourdrugs.org/

_______________________

_______________________

What is Democracy?

Jan. 4 - 10

Bloor Hot Docs, 506 Bloor W.

At a time when our democracy seems like it’s coming under attack worldwide, this urgent new doc reflects on a word we too often take for granted. From Ancient Greece all the way to our global economic crisis and the election of Donald Trump, filmmaker and philosopher Astra Taylor takes us on a millennial-spanning, continent-hopping journey to explore the roots, virtues and trappings of the Great Democratic Experiment. Featuring a brilliant cast of thought leaders, citizens and activists, What is Democracy? connects the past and the present, the personal and the political, to ask how the foundations of democracy can help us rethink and rebuild the institution today.

https://boxoffice.hotdocs.ca/websales/pages/info.aspx?evtinfo=80629~fff311b7-cdad-4e14-9ae4-a9905e1b9cb0&utm_source=eBulletin&utm_medium=2018.11.15HDC&utm_campaign=HDCFilms&utm_content=WhatsDemocracy

_______________________

_______________________

Celebrate the 60th Anniversary of the Cuban Revolution!

Saturday, January 5, 7pm

Steelworkers' Hall, 25 Cecil Street

Tickets: $20 (includes dinner)

The Canadian-Cuban Friendship Association invites you to celebrate the 60th Anniversary of the Cuban Revolution. We will be celebrating with food, music and dance!

https://www.facebook.com/events/532188017193790/

_______________________

_______________________

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter

http://theenergymix.com/

_______________________

_______________________

Centre for Social Innovation Events

https://socialinnovation.org/community/events/

_______________________

Hot Docs

Bloor Cinema (Bloor and Bathurst)

https://hotdocscinema.ca/

NOW magazine hosts a very comprehensive online events listing

https://nowtoronto.com/search/event/community-events/